Wedge Loft Setup

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Earlier in the year I won a Cobra PUR 58 degree wedge in a raffle. I recently picked up two new matching wedges to suit for a very good price in 50 and 54 degree lofts. I really wanted just a 52 wedge but the Cobra rep didn't have this loft available. I am unsure whether I need this amount of wedges as may lead to confusion over what wedge to hit. I have been playing in recent months with my PW (44 degree) and an old 56 degree sand wedge with very good results. I therefore have the following options:-

1. Keep the wedges as 50, 54 and 58
2. Sell the 54 and bend the 50 to 52 degree (52/58)
3. Sell the 54 and keep the loft of the other wedge at 50 (50/58)

I would welcome your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Option 3 for me.
Pw for the low shots
50 for medium shots
58 for the high shots
No need for anything else
Same for me - though I'd suggest Distance (with same swings) is as important as, perhaps more important than Flight.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know what you mean about 52 or 54/ 52 or 50.

Circumstances made me switch from 52 to 54 and I am nowhere near as consistent with it as I was with a 52 and the 50 has become much more of a full shot club rather than a round the green club.

Just remember if you bend the angle of a club you are also changing the sole characteristics. Important in a wedge.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
I know what you mean about 52 or 54/ 52 or 50.

Circumstances made me switch from 52 to 54 and I am nowhere near as consistent with it as I was with a 52 and the 50 has become much more of a full shot club rather than a round the green club.

Just remember if you bend the angle of a club you are also changing the sole characteristics. Important in a wedge.

What set up do you use?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What set up do you use?
Currently 50, 54 and 56.

The 56(14) is virtually only used for bunker play and is in the bag because it was chosen as the best club I have to suit the type of sand we have. I may switch it for a 58 when playing at another club.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't bend either care of other factors. Either keep and use or sell and buy what you want

Wellout

Visit site
52*/58* is probably the most common 2 wedge system set up. Its an invaluable tool to know your full and 3/4 yardages inside out with both clubs, not just roughly like 100yds to 110yds as you may complete miss a green that way. Try and know them to a couple of yards with well struck shots, and a well struck approach shot could just give you a tap in rather than a nasty 10fter. You may also find it useful that a 3/4 struck 52* will carry the same as a full 58* and use this option for a less spinny approach shot into wind where you feel the 58* might flare into the wind and come up short.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Mine are 45º PW, 50º gap, 54º Sand and 60º Lob. I usually have a 'go to' club for different shots, but went out on friday with just 5i to SW without the gap so had to 'make do' with just the 2 wedges. My game, for the most part, didn't suffer at all. A few times I chose the wrong shot - chucking a high one up when in reality a runner would have been a better plan, but to quite honest I really didn't feel the need for the extra clubs and it was quite revealing and refreshing! I did struggle with a few deeper bunkers where the 60º would have been much more useful, but given my experience i'd definitely suggest a bit of practice with what you've got and working out what you think you're missing from what other clubs offer. If, as you've mentioned with the 54º, you stop using a club, sell it.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Go to a range with a Trackman or something similar and hit all the clubs to get idea of distances. I have just been through the same process with my club fitter and we ended up with 50/56/60. We took the distance from the 50 and gapped from that. Also, he reduced the bounce by grinding away the sole on the 60, this makes it brilliant for floppers, hits out of thick grass, very tight lies etc.