Wedge loft question

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the key is whether you would prefer fewer "stock" shots and more lofts to choose from or fewer clubs and more options shot wise?

I go 45/50/56/60. The 45 being the PW from my iron set, and I've often wondered about switching things up to go 45/52/58 instead. I don't personally feel I gain much out of my 60, and often reach for the 56 and open it instead. I also really only chuck things in the air when I have to, preferring to reach for a 7/8 iron and keep the ball low when possible.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Full swing I am ok but have a consistent miss short right. However I cannot play anything except a full swing so it gives me no versatility.

The bit I should say is it that I know it’s the person holding the club which is the weakest link.

There's your problem right there.
Invest in a wedge lesson and discover how easy the half or 3/4 shot is.
The best £20-£25 you'll ever spend

Here's a picture of all my wedges

CIMG0759.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with Bob's suggestion above.
However, in the mean time - and especially if you have the space at home to allow you - I suggest you read Dave Pelz's book 'The Short Game Bible' and practice the technique he suggests - at least, his 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock ones as the 7 o'clock one can be difficult. It's a heavy read - he was a Nasa physicist, so is heavily into detail/completeness (an affliction I can relate to) - and the bulk of his message is covered in the first half or thereabouts. One of his key messages though is 'practice'!! And using PW fulfills his '3 wedges' philosophy.
His is not the only technique that works/is available, so if you struggle with that one, consider the likes of 'The Wedge Book' et al.

Something that may also be affecting your results could be the 'bounce' of your clubs - particularly the 54. I am a 'natural low bounce' player, so high bounce clubs for short chips would often get 'skulled'. It's important to either get clubs that suit your own style or (more difficult imo) adjust your style to suit the clubs. Technique and/therefore loft/bounce requirements for shots from bunkers differs from that for shots off turf, so that's a whole different 'ball-game'!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site

View attachment 34528
Bob has this post saved on his desktop.

I am a three wedge player in reality but in my head it’s a two as I call my PW a 10 iron. Actually I wonder if I can get it changed when I get my clubs refurbished ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I was waiting for Bob's sage advice before posting ?
A bit like foxy, I was wondering if the OP knows the bounce of his 60 and his set SW.
60s are often low bounce and maybe he gains some confidence from that compared to the set SW which may well be high.

Reactions: MrC

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks I tend to use 60’ any where near the green. At my ability it’s important I get it out which I am now very good at. This is another reason why the 54’ needs to change as I lack the confidence to use it in bunkers.

Yes it makes sense if you struggle with bunkers. Get confident and you will find you can hit virtually any wedge from a bunker. I had a period of about 15 years when the only wedge in the bag was the 52. It is all about trial and error and loads of practice but must start from good technique in the first place.

evemccc

Visit site
However, in the mean time - and especially if you have the space at home to allow you - I suggest you read Dave Pelz's book 'The Short Game Bible' and practice the technique he suggests - at least, his 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock ones as the 7 o'clock one can be difficult. It's a heavy read - he was a Nasa physicist, so is heavily into detail/completeness (an affliction I can relate to) - and the bulk of his message is covered in the first half or thereabouts. One of his key messages though is 'practice'!! And using PW fulfills his '3 wedges' philosophy.
His is not the only technique that works/is available, so if you struggle with that one, consider the likes of 'The Wedge Book' et al.

Something that may also be affecting your results could be the 'bounce' of your clubs - particularly the 54. I am a 'natural low bounce' player, so high bounce clubs for short chips would often get 'skulled'. It's important to either get clubs that suit your own style or (more difficult imo) adjust your style to suit the clubs. Technique and/therefore loft/bounce requirements for shots from bunkers differs from that for shots off turf, so that's a whole different 'ball-game'!

Interesting.

I am / have fallen out of love with my 54 partly because of the bounce and partly because of the grip (basically I don't know why I don't like it, but I don't..so I am coming up with all sorts of reasons)

It's 8 degrees of bounce and I tend to thin it / fat it. I don't have this issue with any other club, at least not like to the same extent

I am getting a wedge fit with Vokey to discover if it's me, the lack of practice with it (thanks Covid) the grip, the bounce or all of the above

My thinking is that I will probably go for a higher lofted SW with much higher bounce - 12 or 14

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting.

I am / have fallen out of love with my 54 partly because of the bounce and partly because of the grip (basically I don't know why I don't like it, but I don't..so I am coming up with all sorts of reasons)

It's 8 degrees of bounce and I tend to thin it / fat it. I don't have this issue with any other club, at least not like to the same extent

I am getting a wedge fit with Vokey to discover if it's me, the lack of practice with it (thanks Covid) the grip, the bounce or all of the above

My thinking is that I will probably go for a higher lofted SW with much higher bounce - 12 or 14
If the grip is uncomfortable then you need to change it.
It’s your only contact with the club.
If you drive a car and don’t like the steering wheel it affects your liking of the way it drives.
You might like it with a new grip.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was waiting for Bob's sage advice before posting ?
A bit like foxy, I was wondering if the OP knows the bounce of his 60 and his set SW.
60s are often low bounce and maybe he gains some confidence from that compared to the set SW which may well be high.

Actually no idea what the bounce is...

Just tried to google it and still can’t find it.

Callaway XR SW (2015)
Callaway Sureout 60’ (2017)

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site

View attachment 34528
fair and good point. When COVID is done lessons are in. I still think gapping might be an issue for me

thanks I will have a read

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My highest loft is my 54 SW, I play almost everything green side with it. Having just the 50 gap wedge allows me an additional long club. So I guess it depends on where you’ll save more shots, by having an additional wedge or more choice at the other end of the bag. I get it’s tough when you’re emotionally attached to the 60 but you might find a 58 or 56 does the same thing for you with practice. That’ll make the decision easier.

Last edited:

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think there are a couple of things I may lack in comparison to him.....

:ROFLMAO: True, however there are some things to be learnt from that, I currently use PW/52º/58º wedge set up and very often I find my self manufacturing shots. There are some whom carry 5 wedges some two I guess it's down to what suits you.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you're near the green, you need to decide what shot you need to hit to get close.
This will depend on the situation but normally you will hit either a low, medium or high shot.
PW....46 deg low
GW....52 deg med
SW....58 deg high.

Any more than 3 wedges just gets confusing and requires more practice.

KISS

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I technically have five wedges, which I'm not really happy about. But I don't consider my PW a wedge as it's part of the iron set, but in name only I have five. The problem is how strong iron lofts are these days. My PW is 44°, then I had a 50° wedge, but the gap was too big so I bought I 46 to plug the gap. My 60 is almost exclusively for bunkers as it's a Sure Out, so then I've got a 56 as well, which to be honest I might only use once or twice a round. Ideally I'd like to get irons with slightly softer lofts next time so I can drop one of the wedges.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Callaway XR SW (2015)
Ah yes, Callaway are a bit anti publishing them.
But the sure out was a "high bounce" speciality, so I'd guess they are that far from each other.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Callaway XR SW (2015)

Most SWs that come as part of a set will be in the region of 8-10 degrees.

To check the Sure out against the SW just hold the two so that the shafts are parallel bottom and compare

From a review

"The original version of the Sure Out wedges came with high bounce design which made it great from sand, but Callaway have worked hard on developing the sole in the second model "

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you're near the green, you need to decide what shot you need to hit to get close.
This will depend on the situation but normally you will hit either a low, medium or high shot.
PW....46 deg low
GW....52 deg med
SW....58 deg high.

Any more than 3 wedges just gets confusing and requires more practice.

KISS

That sounds perfect for me

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went 46 (standard loft on my PW) and so went 52 and 58 for an even split in lofts. I tend to look at the lie, what obstacles are in the and then decide. I want whatever I can get to land on the green to tray and ensure as reliable a first bounce as I can

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it’s a common default for people to look at distances and pick a club. For once I agree with homer, what’s in the way, what’s the lie like, roll out and likely roll once landed etc and then pick a club to suit.

Half the fun is manufacturing a shot.