Wedge Fitting

paulv

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Guys, first post so be gentle.

I'm looking to get some wedges sorted before the season starts. I'm tempted with the Callaway MD3 wedges but am open to sugestions.

I currently only play a 55' which came with my TM speed blade irons and do feel like I'm limited with my options in the short game area especially with such a big gap between SW & PW. My PW is 45' so quite strong so I'm not sure whether to go 50, 54, 58 or 52, 56, 60. 54 doesn't seem enough loft for a sand wedge.

I live in Preston, Lancashire but don't mind travelling a bit to find somebody to help me out. There doesn't seem to be that many places that actually do wedge fitting, Is buying off the shelf the norm for wedges?

Any help or recomendations would be very appreciated.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The higher the loft, the more important the lie angle, so the correct fitting is a good idea.

Can't comment on your location, but the Callaway wedges are fantastic in my opinion, I used them last year for the first time and really like them.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wcome to the madhouse mate! Personally I would look a a 50 and a 60 to go with your 45 and 55. Your local pro should be able to do fittings and offer competitive prices. Best to get a wedge gapping session arranged to ensure the right set up

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As good as the MD3's are, don't discount the MD2's.
Still available new from some places and a lot less cash - still a quality wedge

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keep an eye out for Cleveland fitting days, not saying you should go down the Cleveland route, but you'll get a good session where you get to know you wedge distances and what lofts you prefer. Then with the info you gather you could go and try all makes and models to see what suits.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse.

There was a guy around Leicester way who was doing proper wedge fittings, grinding them from scratch if that floats your boat, proper fittings too allegedly.

http://www.icygolf.com

Not used him, no connection, just remember it coming up on here before.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse.

There was a guy around Leicester way who was doing proper wedge fittings, grinding them from scratch if that floats your boat, proper fittings too allegedly.

http://www.icygolf.com

Not used him, no connection, just remember it coming up on here before.

Yep - Ian Clarke. I've used him twice, I did the original write up on here see this link when I got fitted 2 years back. I went to him again back end of last year to get wedges for my son. His service is above and beyond, thoroughly recommend you make the journey over from Preston, you won't be disappointed. There are some pics of my wedges from that thread here

Last edited:

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Loads of places round here that will do wedge fittings. As PaddyC says though, best to get a full gap fitting done, don't set yourself into the frame of mind of I'm going to have X Y & Z deg. Let the numbers do the talking.

http://www.prestongolfclub.com/professional/ . Pretty sure you can get it done at Lytham Golf Centre as well (not too sure if Sheils / Finch fit clubs though). Chilli Dip golf in Blackrod, Ian Lee at Haigh Hall (great set up).

If you want to go a bit more upscale and (most likely) spend money but get a superb fit, the Tour X Golf in Wigan would be perfect.

paulv

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Im going to get booked in somewhere for a gapping session and go from there. Im tempted to give the cleveland fitting centre ago at Rockliffe hall - I've read good things about cleveland fitting and wedges in general. Its only £20 and it will give me my yardages if noting else.