Wedge Advice Needed

Damo77

Visit site
Hi guys,

I've just started playing golf and am putting together a set of clubs and wondered what wedges I may need?

I have just bought some Wilson Di7 Irons from ebay and the set includes a Pitching Wedge and a Gap Wedge with a loft of 43* and 49* respectively. But no Sand Wedge.

So I will need at least a Sand Wedge around 55* but would you recommend a Lob Wedge as well at around 60*?

Should I look to try pick up a Di7 Sand Wedge or are there other brands that are worth a look for wedges?

Any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A

Alex1975

I would not get a 60* personally as I find them a little extreme but it is a point that has been heavily debated on the forum.

Yep you are looking for a 55 or 56* in my opinion. Remember one thing though, it's not the degrees written on the head it's the distance you hit it and weather that fits in your gap.

Work out how far you hit the gap wedge and then go shopping for a sand wedge.

I love the Titleist Vokey wedges but you should also try Ping, Mizuno and maybe Cleveland in my opinion.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you a find a better edge for the money than MD then I'd like to know. Very nice wedge IMO and I've had Nike, Cleveland, and Vokeys in my bag a some point over the past year.

The 60* is probably a bit of a marmite loft. Personally I love it and feel very confident with it out of bunkers and when need to clear a hazard around the green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd look at either a 56 degree SW or if you want some extra loft then a 58 will suffice for bunker shots and can be opened up to negate the need for a 60 degree wedge. I think a LW actually costs a lot of amatuers more shots than it saves, certainly in my case and I've consigned mine to the bag with all my other spare clubs and putters.