Weather forecasters, don't you just love them?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was supposed to be playing at 9am. Forecast last night was rain through the night, clearing about 7am, and a second band of rain coming over in the afternoon.

Got up at 6.30 to walk the dog, steady drizzle, but reckoned it would clear. However by 7.45 it was getting quite heavy. We agreed to look again at 8.15. In the meantime, checked 3 weather forecasts, bbc, metoffice and the Weather app, all now forecasting rain to a greater or lesser degree all morning. It was still raining at 8.15, so we decided to call it off and cancel our booking.

At 8.25 it stopped, hasn't rained since, and is getting steadily brighter.

I'm going to be really annoyed if it doesn't start raining soon!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
booked 12 at the kings forcaste is for rain until then and was rain non stop since last night. clear at the moment and not rained since 6.30.... what the betting its starts at 12 on the dot:ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use Accuweather app, I think they're the best of the bunch. But none of them are 100%. Isn't this why waterproof clothing exists? :LOL:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Was supposed to be playing at 9am. Forecast last night was rain through the night, clearing about 7am, and a second band of rain coming over in the afternoon.

Got up at 6.30 to walk the dog, steady drizzle, but reckoned it would clear. However by 7.45 it was getting quite heavy. We agreed to look again at 8.15. In the meantime, checked 3 weather forecasts, bbc, metoffice and the Weather app, all now forecasting rain to a greater or lesser degree all morning. It was still raining at 8.15, so we decided to call it off and cancel our booking.

At 8.25 it stopped, hasn't rained since, and is getting steadily brighter.

I'm going to be really annoyed if it doesn't start raining soon!

I find the forecasts quite good, generally. But I look at the %age chance of rain.

Ultimately if there is a reasonable chance of rain, 50% of more, unlikely to avoid shower if you're having 3 hours plus on the golf course.

Also worth saying that weather is far more localised than forecasts. Obviously they don't have weather sensors and beacons on every lamp post. Tends to be airports / harbours or specific weather stations.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My rule of thumb for normal UK weather times, is that if the weather is the same today as it was yesterday then it will be different tomorrow. And so if the weather today is different from yesterday's, then tomorrow will be the same as today.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I vaguely remember reading on the news about a month or two ago, that weather forecasts would be more difficult to predict as the lack of planes in the sky; apparently all flights give vital information for weather forecasters.

On the plus note, playing today and it doesn't seem to bad and I'm packing all the rain stuff today!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have leant not to base my golf around forecasts as they are wrong as regards rainfall as often as they are right.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I find the forecasts quite good, generally. But I look at the %age chance of rain.

Ultimately if there is a reasonable chance of rain, 50% of more, unlikely to avoid shower if you're having 3 hours plus on the golf course.

Also worth saying that weather is far more localised than forecasts. Obviously they don't have weather sensors and beacons on every lamp post. Tends to be airports / harbours or specific weather stations.
Kind of what I do as well and like you I find forecasts are reasonably good - anything under 50% is usually only going to be drizzle for a bit at worst, anything upwards of 80% means it's going to be steady to heavy rain.

Can't really see the problem most of the time - if it's forecast to rain then dress appropriately and make sure your equipment stays as dry as possible - that's what I do when I'm photographing sport and the same applies to golf.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I was supposed to play on Tuesday morning but something came in-between and I changed it to Tuesday afternoon. Than something came in there and I looked and all week is s**t weather.

This morning I went for a 4 hour walk taking my umbrella because it is supposed to rain. I passed 2 golf courses which looked packed of people playing in the dry. Now looking at the weather and teh tee time booking system I am not sure if I should bother finding a slot. IT's raining for a week now.

On a positive note, I did some overseeing in the garden and the 'upcoming hose pipe ban' should be insignificant now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wanted to take Friday off but forecast isn't looking good for the afternoon so giving it a miss. Tempted to take Monday-Wednesday instead but even Monday has showers in the forecast so may wait until the last minute before deciding. I tend to use MetOffice and the BBC websites as my main sources and tend to be swayed by the % chance of rain