Weather forecasts

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Home course is closed today for some national junior comp, so arranged with one of our members to head down to Bishop Auckland where we have a reciprocal arrangement. He texts me yesterday afternoon saying thunderstorms are predicted by accuweather between 9am and 12pm. Our tee time was 9.20.

Had a look on bbc and metoffice, both were saying no thunderstorms until 1pm. They were still saying the same late last night, so we agreed to check first thing this morning, and make a decision.

Looked at 7am, bbc and metoffice now saying thunderstorms from 12pm, accuweather still saying 9-12. Reluctantly agreed to call today's game off as it looked certain we would be caught by thunderstorms at some point during the round.

Just looked at all 3 sources just now, none of them now predicting thunderstorms at any point today!

How annoying is that?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Absolutely hate weather reports. They seem to be never be correct, I have been standing at the first tee with the app saying clear skies and i'm huddled under an umbrella.

I have recently started using an app called WeatherRadar which gives you a satellite picture of current and upcoming weather. It isn't a forecast but it seems to be very accurate for current weather.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate it when that happens.

Have you noticed how TV and radio mostly now always say, "sunshine and showers", or , "dry spells with patches of rain"......toss a coin why don't you.

D

Deleted member 16999

Home course is closed today for some national junior comp, so arranged with one of our members to head down to Bishop Auckland where we have a reciprocal arrangement. He texts me yesterday afternoon saying thunderstorms are predicted by accuweather between 9am and 12pm. Our tee time was 9.20.

Had a look on bbc and metoffice, both were saying no thunderstorms until 1pm. They were still saying the same late last night, so we agreed to check first thing this morning, and make a decision.

Looked at 7am, bbc and metoffice now saying thunderstorms from 12pm, accuweather still saying 9-12. Reluctantly agreed to call today's game off as it looked certain we would be caught by thunderstorms at some point during the round.

Just looked at all 3 sources just now, none of them now predicting thunderstorms at any point today!

How annoying is that?
Mate, you live in the North East, it can snowing and sunny 3 miles apart, accuweathet is US based, BBC use Met Office data, stick to one, otherwise you can end up staying indoors, I use the Met Office app, that's updated hourly.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've always said that if weather forecasters were paid by results they'd all be living under a hedge somewhere....
For my current location, I have 3 different forecasts from 3 different apps
AccuWeather gives me a choice of bright sun, heavy rain or just cloud, all on the same app, all at the same time..and it's drizzling.....

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mate, you live in the North East, it can snowing and sunny 3 miles apart, accuweathet is US based, BBC use Met Office data, stick to one, otherwise you can end up staying indoors, I use the Met Office app, that's updated hourly.

I use bbc and met office which as you say is basically the same thing. My mate uses accuweather, although when I pointed out yesterday that their forecast was very different from the bbc, he said accuweather is always wrong, which begs the question why he persists in using it!

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I mainly look at the BBC forecast online and find pretty consistently that is errs on the poor weather side a few days out. The forecast often improves (in the sense that there is more sunshine and less rain) once you get 24hrs out and usually by first thing in the morning it is pretty accurate for that day.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i use a website call underground weather. They tap into small private weather stations so can be good if i'm visiting Tain or Dornoch.

BBC weather here is terrible and the met office isn't great as its main station is on top of Cairngorm Mountain

if i took notice of forecasts i would suspect i'd never play

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've always said that if weather forecasters were paid by results they'd all be living under a hedge somewhere....
For my current location, I have 3 different forecasts from 3 different apps
AccuWeather gives me a choice of bright sun, heavy rain or just cloud, all on the same app, all at the same time..and it's drizzling.....

Yeah I am all for the '3 strikes and you are out' rule. There is no other job in the world were you can be wrong so many times and still get paid for it.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's Mother Nature and it can turn on the flick of a switch - any weather forecast is simply a best guess - it's impossible to predict the weather exactly in the UK

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hate it when that happens.

Have you noticed how TV and radio mostly now always say, "sunshine and showers", or , "dry spells with patches of rain"......toss a coin why don't you.

We just call that sunshine in Ireland :rofl:

There was an advertisement on the back of a bus one time stating it rains 185 days a year here. A picture of a coin being flipped was beside that statement. :mmm:

We have no run but good greens to attack.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if youre looking on the day look at raintoday.co.uk and look at the predictive rainfall radar, will give you a far clearer idea of whether its going to be a complete washout or hit and miss whether smaller showers hit

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
if youre looking on the day look at raintoday.co.uk and look at the predictive rainfall radar, will give you a far clearer idea of whether its going to be a complete washout or hit and miss whether smaller showers hit

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A plus 1 for this. I found the page when it was mentioned on the Forum some time back and and think it's really good. You can physically "see" big wodges of rain and showers in real time along with the speed and direction they're moving in. :thup: .

D

Deleted Member 1156

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A plus 1 for this. I found the page when it was mentioned on the Forum some time back and and think it's really good. You can physically "see" big wodges of rain and showers in real time along with the speed and direction they're moving in. :thup: .

Wodges......love it John :D

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just to make things worse, if you had headed into north Northumberland the weather has been lovely all day so far, 12.15pm.

had suggested we go to Linden or Longhirst as they were both pretty reasonable on TOT, but Bishop Auckland got the vote as it was free. Talk about false economies! Am now stripping paint from a staircase instead and feeling pretty pissed off. to make matters worse, tomorrow's game has just been cancelled as well as the guy i was playing with needs to work :mad: