Waterproofs

bushno8

Visit site
Hello all, first post!

I'm a newbie so be kind, been playing (trying) for a couple of months and I'm now hooked. So with the winter months approaching il need a set of waterproofs.

I have been looking at Galvin Green stuff but my question is does anyone own some of their stuff and is it worth the money? Or anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a full set of Galvin Green waterproofs and they are brilliant. They cost a lot but they have a lifetime guarantee, something most waterproofs don't have. I would never buy anything but Galvin Green.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Galvin Green stuff is excellent, but you need to think how much you are going to play in horrendous conditions. If you are going out in all weathers, and you live in Manchester where it rains alot (or Ireland) then maybe it is justifiable (if the course remains open).

If, like me, waterproofs just get you back to the club house when it is tipping down, then there are very good sets out there for a lot less. Proquip, Sunderland, or footjoy red label for instance.

£300 odd buys a lot of lessons, or some very shiny new kit. Not sure I would spend it on a waterproof suit.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can second the recommendation on the Galvin Green waterproofs. I only have the trousers but they are excellent. Pockets in all the rights places, easy access, wind and waterproof. Probably my most valuable piece of kit for the winter. Not cheap but worth every penny. In fact, these are them below.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
SimonC, looking at your kit, and your h/cap you are obviously a very serious golfer, so may be you can justify the outlay for top notch kit.

For a beginner, I think lessons and clubs should come first, although obviously waterproofs can also be used for walking the dog, so are very versatile. More so than a 7 iron I suppose.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
SimonC, looking at your kit, and your h/cap you are obviously a very serious golfer, so may be you can justify the outlay for top notch kit.

For a beginner, I think lessons and clubs should come first, although obviously waterproofs can also be used for walking the dog, so are very versatile. More so than a 7 iron I suppose.

I am with you on spending money on lessons. But if you are that keen to play no matter what the weather is like then they are a great investment, especially with the weather in the UK. I used to be a fair weather golfer but I don't mind playing in the rain now as my waterproofs keep my dry.

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I did buy proquip waterproofs last year not very good at all complete waist of money they are going on ebay, got my Galvin Green from manchester golf club, pants £129.00 jacket £159.00 they are not cheap but worth every penny

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I almost never wear the trousers, as if it is raining that hard, I will probably call it quits. I have 3 FJ red label jackets, which are fine. I don't like full length zips, as I find they 'bag' and make putting difficult.

I carry, so it is hard keeping all my kit dry in the rain, and my waterproofs are not the limiting factor on how long I can play in the rain. The straps on my bag have not yet rubbed water through my jacket, which is what used to happen to old waterproofs in the past.

I think if you have an electric trolley, with a brolly holder, it is possible to play a lot more in the rain, but once my grips are wet, I lose interest rapidly. Also useful is a wide brimded waterproof bucket hat. Otherwise the rain drips down your neck.

If it is just drizzle, I won't bother with waterproofs or an umbrella. Umbrellas suck.

One other thing, do you know any other nutters who will go out in the rain with you?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Got to go with the Galvin Green stuff. Picked up the Austin jacket earlier this year for £90, absolute bargin, (okay so it was the green/yellow one) and got the Alf trousers for about £120.

I've learnt from 30 years of yacht racing that having the right kit can make the difference between enjoying yourself or being miserable, and therefore you're more likely to stick at it with the right kit.

I only get to play once a week, and having the good kit means that I can at least play in less favourable conditions and not miss out on my 'fix'.

All the gear no idea, maybe. But at least I'm dry and comfortable.

Second the bucket hat thing as well. So much more useful than an umbrella.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
hello and welcome from another new member :eek:)

I went to TK Maxx a couple of weeks ago and got a top of the range SunIce golf waterproof for £40. Bargain, and it keeps me just as dry as my expensive kit i've got for skiing. Also got a pair of waterproof trousers from Tog24. Also £40 but goretex so just as good as anything with a name.

So, a full waterproof outfit and the rest to spend on lessons to improve my game.

Whatever you get though, make sure it fits your body shape.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
as long as they fit well most decent brand waterproofs are great,i tried ping and stuburt but they where all too big,i got proquip jacket which is very good and a galvin green which is great but dont get white thats why i got a proquip when i play somewhere nice as the galvin looks like i been on site with it

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
another vote for Calvin green here. Got the full suit and practically wear the alf trousers non stop through the winter (and most of this summer ironically!)

If you can afford it and know you will play in almost any weather then go for it.

DCB

Visit site
"as the galvin looks like i been on site with it"

Aye ruined a couple of Goretex jackets in the past that way myself. One had the go faster stripes down the back after touching a door with wet paint, t'other got holed between the shoulderblades on a piece of rough unistrut!

Don't wear fancy gear onto site any more.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just picked up a full Callaway suit for £99 reduced from £160. Its light its waterproof it has enough pockets.

Great bit of kit. But if you dont want to fork out for kit, check your local outdoor shops. I got a great pair of gortex trousers for less than 20 quid, aint leaked a drop but no pockets!

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have never bought waterproof gear from golf vendors of any kind, in over 30 yrs of golf on and off I have never needed more than a brolly, bag cover and a very lightweight waterproof jacket(millets and the like), no matter what conditions I always stayed very dry apart from legs occasionally and feet but I tend to change afterwards and can live with it.Waterproofs hinder my game.

Maybe its just a case of not knowing how to keep dry rather than kit you wear lol.
Im not against waterproofs but I am against paying £100 upwards for it, Im sure if golf rain hats were available at 100 quid a throw they would sell too.lol.