Waterproofs

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My Ga;vin jacket had an RRP of £399 and was £389 in Function 18 last year. I got it for £169 off my pro.
Only a year old and less than half price..?
Doesn't that just show how much of a mark-up there is on them? Your Pro wouldn't have sold them at a loss.
Brand snobbery exists - of course it does. But the difference between a Benross Driver (£130) and a Ping (£179) isn't huge compared to a GG suit (£400) vs a Proquip (£180) - and with all due respect to Benross, Proquip is a higher regarded brand.
If you can justify the cost then spend away. It's similar to a thread a while back (EZProphet?) asking if nearly 500 quid was too much for a driver with a sooper-dooper shaft.
Well, yes it is unless you can justify it.

I can't justify £250 for a waterproof jacket that I might wear 5-10 times a year. I can justify spending £250 on a driver that I might hit 5-10 times a round.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Ga;vin jacket had an RRP of £399 and was £389 in Function 18 last year. I got it for £169 off my pro.
Doesn't that just show how much of a mark-up there is on them? Your Pro wouldn't have sold them at a loss.
Brand snobbery exists - of course it does. But the difference between a Benross Driver (£130) and a Ping (£179) isn't huge compared to a GG suit (£400) vs a Proquip (£180) - and with all due respect to Benross, Proquip is a higher regarded brand.
If you can justify the cost then spend away. It's similar to a thread a while back (EZProphet?) asking if nearly 500 quid was too much for a driver with a sooper-dooper shaft.

I can't justify £250 for a waterproof jacket that I might wear 5-10 times a year. I can justify spending £250 on a driver that I might hit 5-10 times a round.

I bought the damn thing last year when it came out ffs

Andy

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I got the biggest bargain of all last year. Bought a full Woodworm rain suit for the grand price of £29.99. Wore that out in some pretty heavy showers today and was bone dry. To be honest, if it is chucking it down before I start then I am not playing. The rain gear is only for if I get caught in the rain on the course or if it is a match that will go ahead irrespective of the weather (I bought it for Goswick last year). Bought it from thesportshq, now selling at £49.00 so still cheap as chips

http://www.thesportshq.com/woodworm-golf-waterproof-suit-white1.aspx

Before that I used to wear a Nike zip up, waterproof rugby training top. That was also superb and was very light, very tough and very breathable as it would need to be for rugby training.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I bought the damn thing last year when it came out ffs

Andy

That's even worse though Andy..

RRP 400 quid and your Pro sold it for 170?
How on Earth did they come up with the RRP if a Pro can sell at less than half price and still make a profit? With that sort of RRP most places would sell at about £350...

Good deal for you, don't get me wrong but the pricing is just ludicrous...

Would you have shelled out 400 quid on it?

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Imurg

Not in a million years would I have lol

As somebody says, people pay the prices they want, others dont.

Andy

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Anyway, the OP is looking for recommendations. Nevada Bobs, Proquip trousers £40. Wore them Friday evening and was bone dry after enduring constant light rain and 2 massive down pours, unfortunately my waterproof jacket is about as waterproof as a net, so I am also looking for a jacket that will keep me dry but don't really want to spend more than £40-£50.

alnecosse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got a set of Kartel waterproof trousers as a gift at xmas first time i went to wear them took out bag and couldnt get on as one of the trouser legs was closed up just above the knee bounced around for a bit then fell on my face. mates were in hysterics .then played 18 holes in the pouring rain absolutely drenched got home e mailed kartel customer services but no reply.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking at the Galvin Green website it all very slick and the graphics and videos are very professional and cogent to be fair although the back of a Trek and field catalogue or a cursory Google of 'layering of clothing' will bring up similar. It's all marketted in a very alluring way and I confess there's a part of me that could (or perhaps does) get sucked in to it.

As a punter in the market for some wet/all weather gear at the moment myself there are several things that grate when thinking of going down the GG route at the moment not including cost which is , lets face it, not insubstancial (start with a set of performance undies/long johns and layer yourself through to the wet gear and you could easy £500-£600 without blinking.)

In no particular order my issues are:-

1) To test the (relatively new) technology in Paclite Gore Tex in GG and without laying down a bundle I bought myself an Ant Hat. It's a kind of pork pie design, great for goggle wearers such as me and because of the rim not only protects the bins but also at the back protects you from water dribbling down your neck. Great I thought. After tests with it in all manner of weather i.e. warm/wet, cold/wet, warm dry etc my conclusion was that yes, it is waterproof but no it didn't breath. Taking the hat off, it was full of perspiration that hadn't escaped. Now you could say that this was because there's no wicking layer between the hat and my nog but then who wears an under armour skull cap? and if not, why sell a gore tex hat?

2) rather than trawl the net or indeed e-mail them at their HQ (as I ended up doing) when I was buying the hat WHY CAN"T GG JUST PUT A SIZING GUIDE ON THEIR MAIN WEBSITE FFS? (apologies if it's there and I haven't seen it in which case a link would be great because I couldn't find it)

3) Why no direct online purchase mechanism? Why do I have to give my cc details to uncletomcobblyandall.com if I want GG kit? if they're such a big and top notch brand why not sell it to me direct?

4) Having found a few thrid party sizing guides for GG gear it seems that they are not interested in catering to fat gits sizes with a 46 inch chest I might just squeeze into a GG jacket but not a chance on their trews-seems it's made for svelte ubermenchen called Jurgen who drive Audi's and work out in the gym six days a week which for someone like me shaped like a sack of spuds isn't much use.

5) Why do they have to have such tw@tty colour schemes? I don't want brown top with cornflour blue banding and irridescent green inserts. Navy blue will do tah.

mini rant over

I'm starting to look into the Sunderland gear but it seems they've now got some sort of distribution deal tied up with Glenmuir and it's difficult to differenciate the ranges. All very confusing.

I'm seriously starting to think about going down the North Face/Karrimor performance clothing route at Trek and Field,Blacks or another camping type shop instead. Similar performance materials, not so much blather about 'for the style conscious golfer looking to place themselves at the cutting edge of blah blah blah etc', cheaper for the same technology and from companies that are well known and respected in their fields? As long as it's fitted large enough to swing a club comfortably with a mid and base layer in winter I can't see the diff.

There's also the elephant in the room of course which is that whilst you may have done the mortgage payment on slick new GG gear- have all your playing partners? 'cos if they haven't got the same standard of kit you may be finishing off the game on your own when it starts teeming it down anyway (Although there's no limits to the stoic and stiff upper lip I see on a golf course when it starts blatting down -which I admire but wonder about our sanity)

One last point. I used to work in an industry that meant I spent a lot of time outdoors and didn't just pack up and go home when the heavens opened. You either got good kit or you got wet- the work was going to happen. I bought a top of the line Lowe Alpine Triple Point ceramic jacket that was built to last and would have been about GG money at the time (to be fair this gear was meant for mountain climbing). My point is that after a few months, unless you washed it in Grangers or similar and tumble dried it, the DWR or beading properties failed and it would wet out and wouldn't breath. Furthermore, unless you had wicking, breathable kit all the way to the skin you weren't much better off that in you used a packamac after an hour or two. The moral of the story is that you have to budget for all the other kit as well and maintain it or that shiny wet layer just won't work properly and well physically vented kit i.e covered pit zips, kidney zips etc trump the moisture exchange thresholds for these garments in all but the narrowest combinations of climatic conditions in my experience.

billyg

S

Snelly

I have got a set of GG waterproofs. I have no idea if they are the best you can get or not. I only bought them for the name as it clearly winds people up who can't afford them which I believe can be used to strategic advantage in matchplay.

They also look very cool whereas the other brands mentioned on this thread make the wearer look like they work on the bin lorries.

Cheers,

Snelly

:D