Waterproofs - Nike & Galvin Green.

Duckhooker

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks to getting drenched the last couple of times out I've decided to splash out on some new waterproofs as I do play regularly through winter.

Looking at the Nike Stormfit Hyperadapt jackets/pants and also Galvin Green Gore Tex Performance shell range. Any feedback from anyone wearing either would be great.
Leaning towards the Nike stuff at moment as the GG might be a bit awkward if you don't have a tumble drier as its needed to reactivate waterproofing. Lots of people I play with rave about it though to be fair.
What would you recommend?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 15344

IMO Galvin Green all the way

It maybe expensive but it's worth every penny

D

Deleted member 16999

Thanks to getting drenched the last couple of times out I've decided to splash out on some new waterproofs as I do play regularly through winter.

Looking at the Nike Stormfit Hyperadapt jackets/pants and also Galvin Green Gore Tex Performance shell range. Any feedback from anyone wearing either would be great.
Leaning towards the Nike stuff at moment as the GG might be a bit awkward if you don't have a tumble drier as its needed to reactivate waterproofing. Lots of people I play with rave about it though to be fair.

Thanks.

There are lots of different waterproofs and you'll probably get differing replies, I've tried different ones and without a doubt the GG are far and above the best i've had, not had the current Nike ones but did have a set a few years ago and they felt like I was wearing a crisp packet, obviously technology will have moved on, but apart from price i've not heard any problems with GG

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
If you do go for the Nikes i would recommend going down a size if you cant try them on first - I am always a medium in all clothing, including nike polos, and so I ordered a medium Nike stormfit suit - the jacket was huge, the trousers were about 2 foot too long (I'm 6ft) and the legs were wider than my shoes so they actually went over my shoe so I was standing on the trousers.. I swapped it for a small and it fits perfectly.

Duckhooker

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks folks, I'm going to have a proper look in person tomorrow.
Did you get 1/2 zip or full zip? Galvin Green in particular seem to do a large range with quite a few 1/2 zip options. Think the one I looked at was Angus or Albin.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thanks folks, I'm going to have a proper look in person tomorrow.
Did you get 1/2 zip or full zip? Galvin Green in particular seem to do a large range with quite a few 1/2 zip options. Think the one I looked at was Angus or Albin.

Full Zip waterproof, half Zip Windstopper/layer

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a half zip Alvin. It's nice, but a bit rustly. It's waterproof, but not warm. Definitely need layers underneath. I find the same with my goretex cycling jacket.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Been wearing the Nike Hyperadapt suit for two seasons and cant praise it enough. GG may well get the plaudits, but the Nike is worth a look in terms of fit/price/ quality I can only recommend it.

I went for it as I previously hated wearing a jacket, however the stretch fabric sections make for great mobility through the swing.
I spoke with a Nike rep recently who explained the jacket on/jacket off analysis they done pre-product launch should minimal impact on player movement.

Only change I would make is buying a half zip as the jacket sits better when you are bent over your putter.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I'm pretty well placed to give my opinion on this as I currently have both sets.

In my opinion and from experience, I cannot praise Galvin Green enough. Their kit also has a lifetime guarantee which I've made use of as there was a patch (in an awkward crotch area) that wasn't working as waterproofingly well as it should be and was making me look a bit silly when I took them off (honestly it was the trousers!).
They were sent back despite owning them for a few years and new ones sent no problem so I also received a great service.
As for size, as long as you try them on you'll be fine but don't go for what size you think you are as the different models differ in shape and size.

So I also bought a top of the range Nike set - equivalent to the GG stuff. I bought this purely as I liked the style of it and I assumed it'd be as good as GG.
Big mistake! Absolutely not a patch on the GG in my experience. In a heavy downpour when wearing the Nike kit I feel and am, saturated. Pockets are wet and parts of the inside are wet. In GG kit it's all just on the exterior. I don't believe it's faulty kit either like the GG pants issue, as a couple of mates have had the same experience.

So there you go. As GG say, they never compromise! I believe him!

Visit site
I have the Nike Hyperadapt jacket, nothing but good feedback on it. Never get wet, decent 'windstopping' properties and the best thing is I don't even notice it which is exactly what you want. Doesn't constrict around the shoulders or arms (and I'm ripped!) and doesn't make any distracting rustling

Both would be excellent purchases I am sure but can't fault the Nike

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I'm pretty well placed to give my opinion on this as I currently have both sets.

In my opinion and from experience, I cannot praise Galvin Green enough. Their kit also has a lifetime guarantee which I've made use of as there was a patch (in an awkward crotch area) that wasn't working as waterproofingly well as it should be and was making me look a bit silly when I took them off (honestly it was the trousers!).
They were sent back despite owning them for a few years and new ones sent no problem so I also received a great service.
As for size, as long as you try them on you'll be fine but don't go for what size you think you are as the different models differ in shape and size.

So I also bought a top of the range Nike set - equivalent to the GG stuff. I bought this purely as I liked the style of it and I assumed it'd be as good as GG.
Big mistake! Absolutely not a patch on the GG in my experience. In a heavy downpour when wearing the Nike kit I feel and am, saturated. Pockets are wet and parts of the inside are wet. In GG kit it's all just on the exterior. I don't believe it's faulty kit either like the GG pants issue, as a couple of mates have had the same experience.

So there you go. As GG say, they never compromise! I believe him!

I wore my Nike storm fit suit (purchased for £79.99 from AG) in the pissing down rain and wind and it was brilliant - sounds odd that you found it different with your more expensive version. I was bone dry, the zips didn't let water in, the pockets stayed dry and I was really impressed! Maybe there was some production issue with the version you purchased? do you know the name of the one you got out of interest?

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got the the Hyper Adapt suit in XL and have just lost 3 and a half stone so it's too big for me now but like others on here cannot recommend it highly enough. I'll post it on the For Sale section when i can get photos uploaded but will sell the suit for a bargain £75 if you're interested. That way the "gamble" is less.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have a Galvin green jacket and it's the gators Tators. Gets dirty, wash and tumble dry and back to normal. Light as a feather and goes away with me on all me mucky weekend breaks as well.

However, when sky did the freebie tickets for the golf at Woburn I went in the shop and was looking at a Nike waterproof golf jacket. It did look well and yes I had to go down a size. It felt comfy and was quiet. The salesman then proceeded to rip GG to bits says Goretex is old, it rustles/ noisy Blah di blah.

If looking good is important then I don't think you will look a pigs ear in either outfit. could be wrong here but think GG might have more choice of colours.
Re GG never spoke to anyone who has had a problem, but read that those who have were looked after really well.

Re Nike, what is odd is the zip is on the ladies side, it felt like my hands were on back to front doing it up. I did not buy the jacket, I never had any intentions because I love my GG. But I did buy from the City shop a black Nike wind proof jacket that looks the danglies, complete with girlie zip.😁

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I wore my Nike storm fit suit (purchased for £79.99 from AG) in the pissing down rain and wind and it was brilliant - sounds odd that you found it different with your more expensive version. I was bone dry, the zips didn't let water in, the pockets stayed dry and I was really impressed! Maybe there was some production issue with the version you purchased? do you know the name of the one you got out of interest?

It's the Nike StormFit HyperAdapt. Cost a small fortune and it's expensive for a windstopper which is what I use it for now.
I've seen other Nike waterproof jackets that just don't look like a good waterproof jacket. Not like the GG with the water just sitting on top of it to be brushed off.

I must add that the Nike top is better in one aspect - comfort. Very well designed for the golf swing.

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the Nike StormFit HyperAdapt. Cost a small fortune and it's expensive for a windstopper which is what I use it for now.
I've seen other Nike waterproof jackets that just don't look like a good waterproof jacket. Not like the GG with the water just sitting on top of it to be brushed off.

I must add that the Nike top is better in one aspect - comfort. Very well designed for the golf swing.

Strange, the water just sits on my Nike waterproof jacket in beads like you mention and just brushes off. maybe the newer offerings have improved this? I only bought mine a few weeks ago.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The zero restriction is a great suit i'll throw into the mix
http://www.golfbase.co.uk/p-21461-z...-gore-tex-stealth-jacket-navyfluorescent.aspx

ok i have a volt fetish :D

I was going to throw Zero Restriction into the mix. I brought a set of these back from America last year and they are the dogs bollocks. These are big made though so you would be better trying them on. Comfort and detailing of the jacket is superb. My biggest grump with Gore-tex fabric is the constant rustle off them.

I have a Sunice flexvent suit which far nicer to wear in terms of comfort, warmth and noise. Trousers especially are excellent. My standard winter wear trousers.

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk

Thanks.

Give this a watch Duckhooker for GM's thoughts on the new Galvin gear:

http://youtu.be/FM9XlXyHxkg