Royal County Down with Galvin Green

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please bare with me as this might take some time to read :)

I started my day at 730, leaving home to avoid the traffic, and get a wee coffee on route, plus I couldn't sleep as was extremely excited so it made sense to go.

After a nice drive, made it to RCD by 930, said hi in the shop and was invited to go upstairs for some coffee, Kevan the pro popped up to say hi, and have a wee chat. Around 10.30 Mike, Joel and the guys arrived and so did my fellow former Allan. Introductions were made and we had coffee and a rundown of what to expect.
We met Adam who represents GG And then were told they were ready for us :)
Feeling like a kid at Christmas we went into the locker room and were given a pile of boxes to open, but, we had to wait in eager anticipation for Tom and the video guys to get what they needed, cue lots of modelling and opening things, all with a truly grateful grin, I'm sure I will look like the Cheshire Cat, but I'm cool with that. I was truly amazed at the gear, very generous selection, and all picked for us.
We were asked what we would usually wear and it worked out brilliantly as myself and Allan have slightly differing styles, I'm a gilet wearer and he is a jacket guy, fortunately Adam had guessed this and this is what we had laid out.
Given the chance now to try the items on so we could head out to play, after lunch. I had a base layer, tee and gilet with some very comfy trousers, I was genuinely surprised at the space and freedom the trousers gave as I sometimes struggle to get a good fit, so was very. Impressed. Also I had a wind stopper jacket, waterproofs, and an awesome bobble hat to head out with.
Still pinching myself to make sure this was actually happening..
Had a lovely lunch with the guys and Reeve, our pro for the day and then headed out to the course.
Hit a few practice putts and had a bit craic, nerves building for my first tee shot. Headed over and Joel suggested I bat on ( thanks for that Joel ) but managed to get a good one away, bit cutty but fine, the Allan also hit a decent one, as did Joel, then Reeve ripped one down the proper lineage off we went.
The course was amazing, not hugely difficult as the rain and wind were not an issue for the most part, not that I scored well either though just felt like a good fair test.
There was some stop start for pics and vids, I'm looking forward to seeing the footage as I think I might have hit a few nice ones too which made me feel good. The back nine was a lot smoother than the front, still some pics and stuff but not as much stopping so found a little more rhythm and had a good bit fun as we played.
Reeve was a top guy, took the time to pick his brains on a few things and got some handy tips, was great to play with and good to watch, only made one bogey too great to see.
Whilst playing we had to do a few changes for the pics etc, the range of clothing I had to try was excellent in the conditions, was really comfortable and breathable to play in, and kept me warm and dry all the was round. The windstopper also offers some shower protection so when we had a bit rain I turned to this and have to say it was excellent, everyone should have one, super fit, and great to wear, kept me dry and comfy, if your going to buy any Galvin Green stuff definitely get a windstopper I would say it would be great all year round. Oh and a bobble hat, everyone should have a bobble hat, my head was toastie :)
All in all, the gear was class and the golf was great fun and so enjoyable to be part of.
After the round we went for an interview to give feedback which was as scary as the first tee ha ha
Then stopped for to say thanks to all the guys and have a quick drink together before we went our separate ways.
Tom was showing us the pics he took in the bar, some crackers in there and got to have a good chat with Mike.
I think Allan had fun too, but I will let him tell his story, great guy and good fun to play golf with, real gent.
Joel and Mike we top class, and good fun, I had an awesome day and I am truly grateful for the opportunity, many thanks again chaps, and anytime your over, give me a shout and I'll get you out for a round at Galgorm.
Adam was a really nice guy too, very knowledge and a good lad. Thank you again for the gear :)
Tom and the video guys made me feel like a star, so thank you so much for going easy on me.
Cracker day and awesome fun and course, thanks again..
Home at 9, Newcastle lost, so not a perfect day but close!
Sorry for blabbing but I'm still buzzing......

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rubbish course and dodgy gear !! (I'm not jealous - much ):whistle:

Seriously - Nice review, GM do know how to treat us well on an awayday, RCG is my favourite course EVER, not into GG gear yet but might just buy a few bits now.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up and glad you really enjoyed it

I did videoing with Mike H and his team 2 weeks ago and they all enjoy themselves while working - it's a shame not everyone can like they do!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks chaps I feel pretty good I have to say lol

Was a great day and so much fun, yep a job like that would be awesome!!

Arnold, try the stuff,I'm was genuinely surprised I know it has a great name but I thought it would be for skinny folks that are tall, but at 5.8 and 14 stone it fit great too, something for all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wow..... what a day!!! GM really do offer some cracking opportunities don't they!?

Mike, any spare Galvin Green stuff? Feel free to drop me a private message for my details.... :thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

Great write up, what a day you's had⛳️

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you had a cracking time. Glad you enjoyed it mate.
Out of interest what gear did you use before ? And in your opinion what makes the GG stuff worth the money ?

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really don't know how to improve on James post, he has covered everything, it was an amazing day, an amazing gift from GM, an amazing course and an amazing bunch of guys to meet and play golf with. Did I say it was amazing??

Really though, like James I am still buzzing and can't stop looking at the gear we were so generously given, there really is a reason Galvin Green is considered the pinnacle of golf clothing, it is just incredible stuff. I think James really likes his bobble hat? It got a few mentions.

I just really want to take this opportunity to thank Mike, Joel, Adam, Lewis, Andy, Tom and Reeve and all the staff at RCD You guys made it such a fantastic experience and one that I will never forget. Hopefully the videos and pics of myself don't turn out too badly.

Finally James it was an absolute pleasure meeting you and getting to play with you, I would love to do so again, so if you ever fancy more links golf come and join me for a round at Kirkistown, it gets cold up here during the winter so you will need that bobble hat. 👦

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Allan I have never played there so would will take you up on that, and would enjoy your company at galgorm, just give me a shout.
Hi midnight, I have tried lots of stuff, I'm not a brand stickler, I will try anything.
I use Nike and Adidas and UA. The Adidas trousers are a great fit and comfy but having had them for 4 months, bought black and grey, I feel I need new ones as the pockets are bobbling and they look a little off, the Nike stuff is very nice also, but in the past I have a pairs of trousers frey on me after a while.
The Galvin stuff just felt more solid if that makes sense, the trousers were fab to wear and feel really good quality, a bit like the difference between Levi and Tescos own. They both have a place, but I have Levi in the wardrobe that are 10 year old and still look and feel great, Galvin gave me that same confidence. Time will tell of course but I know I will def spend the money now I know they fit and feel great.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well done chaps. I rarely go in for the comps, only the ones that I really would love to experience and its fair to say this one ticked all the boxes!

Well done to you and to GM.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sounds like a great day on wonderful course with great people - perfick

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone ever played RCD on a sunny day? Every pic I've ever seen always have a moody looking sky rolling across the course - not that it's a bad thing as it just adds to the theatre of the place.

Great looking day, very lucky men!