Galvin Green Waterproofs

T

thecraw

Just thought I would post this due to the wonderful reviews and rave praise on here for Galvin Green waterproofs.

I decided to treat myself to a new GG jacket last week and have now worn it twice. Both times I have been soaked to the skin. How I wish I had just bought another Sunice Gore-tex jacket instead.

The jacket not only lets in on the front at the chest but also at both elbows, to say I am disapointed in the crap quality is an understatement to put it mildly!

If I hadnt bought this jacket from a local pro shop and knew that it was genuine I would swear I had bought a fake, its going back tomorrow when I can take it back to the shop. Full refund me thinks, not taking a chance on another one of these inferior jackets. Sunice from now on.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have the Sunice Typhoon jacket Craw......it's the best golf jacket I've owned, and I've had a fair few. Always keeps me bone dry, and also good to wear in the wind. If you have had these before, I'm surprised you changed.

chipsandegg

Head Pro
Visit site
Bad one!! if you dont mind me asking how much was it? ive just bought a goretex jacket and trousers and they are absolutley amazing. i cant remember for sure but i think the jacket was about 350 ish and the trousers 250ish.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Surprised to be honest. Everyone I know who's stumped up for GG (and they are expensive) have all said they are superb.

I'd second the comments on Sunice though. I have a pair of Sunice Trousers that have been the best I've ever had by a mile and didn't break the bank. I don't see how GG could be better and will certainly buy Sunice again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was always baulked by the price of GG gear but assumed that for the price you'd get quality. Obviously not and it seems maybe you aren't alone. Being a man of meagre means I'm happy with my proquip silktouch suit although I know Cross are a good product and rgs swears by his top.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Craw mine did exactly the same....troosers superb jacket was dreadful...new one was superb so a strange one!
Make sure you keep returning it if it aint waterproof cos christ living where you do ya gonna need it!! ;)

T

thecraw

Yip, its going back alright! I played at Machrihanish on Saturday and got 10 holes in horrible wind and rain and was soaked through. I then played yesterday at Glencruitten in Oban and was again wet through. Infact yesterday I would have been as well playing without a jacket on. OK, it was wild yesterday however if I had played wearing my old Sunice Hurricane jacket I would have expected a couple of damp patches but that was dreadful.

Twire, I am just a sheep, following the crowd. Think I should just have stuck with what I knew worked!

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've said it all along, overpriced, overhyped, and basically just as good as any other Goretex jacket on the market. Pro's don't wear them 'cos they keep 'em dry, they wear them 'cos they are paid to. Look at Lee Westwood & Darren Clarke they wear Dunlop for Christ's sake what a blast from the past they are.

DCB

Visit site
Just remember guys, Goretex does have it's problems. It's a heck of a lot better nowadays than it was in the early eighties but it's not perfect.

That being said, I'd have thought that GG kit was more resiliant than thecraw has found out. A wee west coast drizzle and he's got wet, not very good that ;)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
The only issue I have found with Stuburt is their poor zips, they are great in the worst condictions just let down with zips as my trouser zip went and then the jacket zip caught on the coating and peeled off.

T

thecraw

I still have my Hurricane jacket and it is excellent, 4 years old now and I sometimes get a bit damp with it, mainly on the shoulders from carrying the bag but it has been a faithful bit of kit.

I will give GG a chance to salvage back some pride and accept a replacement and take it from there.