waterproof socks

AAC

Visit site
I too have sealskinz and agree they are thick, I picked up a pair in Aldi which are much thinner & work really really well. I am not sure if Aldi are still stocking them though.

RichA

Visit site
Spend a lot on bigger shoes to accommodate socks!
Why not just buy decent shoes?
Goretex Ecco are available about half price on line, worth a look.
I was mostly attempting to be humorous.
Having said that, like others, I have concluded that there is no such thing as a completely waterproof golf shoe.
I keep my feet dry by wearing Sealskinz socks. They are more comfortable if you go up half a size or buy shoes in a wide fitting. The price is the same whatever the size.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I have some otter shell socks. They are very good and very comfortable. They are what I would describe as thin, but are not dress shoe sock thin.

For water proof shoes. Look at Nike Shield shoes. They work better than any other waterproof golf shoe I’ve had. Or a pair of Goretex Adidas Terrex

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Dexshell are the socks I wear, I don't find them too thick but there's only one way for you to find out
I've got both Sealskinz and Dexshell socks.
Sealskinz are completely waterproof, Dexshell not so - they help, but can still leak a bit in extreme circumstances.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I was mostly attempting to be humorous.
Having said that, like others, I have concluded that there is no such thing as a completely waterproof golf shoe.
I keep my feet dry by wearing Sealskinz socks. They are more comfortable if you go up half a size or buy shoes in a wide fitting. The price is the same whatever the size.
You say that but I have a pair of stuburt golf boots for the winter and they have been excellent for about 3 seasons now. Nice a toasty too. 😉

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you wash them? I’ll get my coat🤣

Serious question, how do they work? Do they have a waterproof membrane similar to Goretex? Interested as I have a pair of Footjoys that are about 3 years old that are rubbish in wet weather. Otherwise they are still in good nick with no splits or cracking in the leather.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How do you wash them? I’ll get my coat🤣

Serious question, how do they work? Do they have a waterproof membrane similar to Goretex? Interested as I have a pair of Footjoys that are about 3 years old that are rubbish in wet weather. Otherwise they are still in good nick with no splits or cracking in the leather.
Sealskinz have a membrane. They are quite thick, I have a longish pair and an ankle sock pair, and they do feel a bit weird at first. You wash them normally, 30 or 40° wash, let them dry naturally. I use a liquid soap when you wash them, as per all waterproof type items but it is crazy cheap and lasts ages. You don't need to re-invigorate them as you do with Goretex, I don't think the membrane is as clever at that. They do work though. I've had them for a few years, been washed multiple times, and they still work brilliantly.

I've stopped obsessing about shoes being 100% waterproof. As long as they stop a bit of water, that's enough. If the ground is soaked or I know it will throw it down I put on my Sealskinz and don't worry a jot after that. That means I keep my shoes for longer. As long as they stay comfy, I keep them.

AAC

Visit site
Sealskinz have a membrane. They are quite thick, I have a longish pair and an ankle sock pair, and they do feel a bit weird at first. You wash them normally, 30 or 40° wash, let them dry naturally. I use a liquid soap when you wash them, as per all waterproof type items but it is crazy cheap and lasts ages. You don't need to re-invigorate them as you do with Goretex, I don't think the membrane is as clever at that. They do work though. I've had them for a few years, been washed multiple times, and they still work brilliantly.

I've stopped obsessing about shoes being 100% waterproof. As long as they stop a bit of water, that's enough. If the ground is soaked or I know it will throw it down I put on my Sealskinz and don't worry a jot after that. That means I keep my shoes for longer. As long as they stay comfy, I keep them.
I am just about to break out my 'myjoys' for the winter + sealskinz, the myjoys are around 15 years old & the socks around 5+, I will have dry warm feet all winter.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I too have sealskinz and agree they are thick, I picked up a pair in Aldi which are much thinner & work really really well. I am not sure if Aldi are still stocking them though.
I have these as well. I don't think you can get really thin waterproof but they don't feel thick on me and they work really well. And I can wear my normal shoes with them.
Waterproof shoes are only good up to the foot opening. If walking in wet long grass (not me of course, for a friend :whistle:), then waterproof socks are really useful.