Waterproof recommendations?

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
After the recent downpours and thinking ahead for the Autumn/Winter I'm keen to canvas opinions on what have been your favourite waterproofs.
I've previously had a Ping F3D suit that served me well for a long time and then replaced with Adidas Gore-Tex which I've become to loath as it's restrictive and sweaty with the membrane(although this could be due to the size?)
I also went with a half zip which may add to the restriction so I want to go back to the full zip for ease of on/off.

My pro is big on the UA gear which I've not had much success with in the past in regards to quality control and in the back of my mind I'm tempted to try the Sunderland gear.

Keen to hear any particular recommendations though...

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I loved my Nike Storm ones from years ago, but when they went I got Galvin Green and have stuck with them since.

If they're not in the mix, then I've heard people swear by Proquip waterproofs.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After the recent downpours and thinking ahead for the Autumn/Winter I'm keen to canvas opinions on what have been your favourite waterproofs.
I've previously had a Ping F3D suit that served me well for a long time and then replaced with Adidas Gore-Tex which I've become to loath as it's restrictive and sweaty with the membrane(although this could be due to the size?)
I also went with a half zip which may add to the restriction so I want to go back to the full zip for ease of on/off.

My pro is big on the UA gear which I've not had much success with in the past in regards to quality control and in the back of my mind I'm tempted to try the Sunderland gear.

Keen to hear any particular recommendations though...

i have an adidas goretex shell that has no lining, its excellent, fully waterproof and far less restrictive than others ive had, dont write them off if you can buy a pac lite style one imo

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
i have an adidas goretex shell that has no lining, its excellent, fully waterproof and far less restrictive than others ive had, dont write them off if you can buy a pac lite style one imo

I've just double checked which I have and it is a paclite one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adidas-Climaproof-Gore-Tex-Paclite-Jacket/dp/B00NAVTZ1Q
I suspect it's probably a size too small once I have a couple of layers on but I just find it either non breatheable in the summer or too tight in the winter with layers.
No question it keeps the rain out though but It's just not a pleasure to play in

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have an Under Armour 'Storm' waterproof jacket, it's super lightweight, fits in the big easily when I'm not wearing it, and it's not too sweaty when I am wearing it. I would definitely buy from them again.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Peter Storm trousers from Mountain Warehouse.
Mountain Warehouse own brand jacket.
Recognised "golfing brand" waterproofs are stupid prices and are no better at keeping you dry and comfortable.

dai3015

Visit site
After playing in yesterday's down pours, I'm also looking at waterproofs today.
I really don't like full sleeve waterproof jackets as I find them really cumbersome - does anyone use a half sleeve jacket or gilet that they can recommend?

I've got the Proquip Aquastorm PX1 jacket and, whilst being waterproof, I do find it heavy and boil in the bag. So much so, that I ended up taking it off yesterday and just got wet!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I really don't like full sleeve waterproof jackets as I find them really cumbersome - does anyone use a half sleeve jacket or gilet that they can recommend?

I've got the Proquip Aquastorm PX1 jacket and, whilst being waterproof, I do find it heavy and boil in the bag. So much so, that I ended up taking it off yesterday and just got wet!

I've got an adidas short sleeve top but its a wind proof one and its so much better than a jacket. i have also got a Oscar Jacobson pull over top that i have drenched in tent waterproofing spray and i can just about put up with wearing that

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
i have been looking at these as i am not keen on wearing a jacket. are they any good?

In my opinion they are very very good. I've worn mine in horrible weather and its kept me dry, and keeps the wind out better than anything I've had previously. It fits nicely so doesn't flap about and is nice and stretchy. It also doesn't sound like a shell suit like some other brands.

Its a single shell so will need something underneath when really cold.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have a Ping Sensordry half sleeve top, really lightweight but 100% waterproof and not boil in the bag like GG/Goretex are. I bought it a couple of years ago but I've just looked on the Ping website and it isn't listed.
*Edit*
It's called zero gravity so must be an older model.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How good does a waterproof actually need to be?
If the weather's gonna be that bad, I just do something else...
Maybe not an option in some parts of the country, but works just fine in the south east.
That being the case, I picked up a cheap Calvin Klein in tkmax which is light, stretchy and will keep the rain out for at least 30 mins.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
how loose and stretchy is the material... been thninking about one for awhile but never seen them to try on
It's quite stretchy and reasonably fitted. Its pretty much like wearing a jumper other than having velcro cuffs and a high collar.

I hate baggy waterproofs with a passion. This is perfect for what I want.

I would recommend trying one on before buying.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Ping Sensordry half sleeve top, really lightweight but 100% waterproof and not boil in the bag like GG/Goretex are. I bought it a couple of years ago but I've just looked on the Ping website and it isn't listed.
*Edit*
It's called zero gravity so must be an older model.
I have one of these. Brilliant top, light, quiet, comfy, it works. You don't know it's on. I use it a lot in spring, summer, autumn when it rains but there is some warmth still.

No longer available new but look on eBay for 2nd hand or old stock (not you of course)