Water Resistant Trousers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Polyester is not inherently waterproof. To make it so it will have a coating, possibly Teflon. However this is not 'breathable' so sweat will feel wet inside. Gore-Tex is probably the best know true waterproof.
However, there is a difference in technology and price between waterproof, water resistant, and water repellent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where they the ones at County Golf?
Yeah. Cutter & Buck, Teflon-coated as rulefan correctly called it. Only 30 quid anyway thought I'd give them a go. I don't have any actual waterproof trousers, I thought these would do for the small amount of times I play in the rain.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I bought some M&S water resistant chinos from eBay.

They are water resistant, but must have been designed for people with very thin thighs. And are not in the slightest bit stretchy.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Polyester is not inherently waterproof. To make it so it will have a coating, possibly Teflon. However this is not 'breathable' so sweat will feel wet inside. Gore-Tex is probably the best know true waterproof.
However, there is a difference in technology and price between waterproof, water resistant, and water repellent.

Teflon on clothing can be one of multiple products that reduce stains, or provide water and oil repellency. It doesn’t make a material non breatheable at all. You are perhaps thinking of something like siliconised polyester in which a layer of silicone is coated onto the fabric, creating a non-permeable (waterproof) barrier, like in tent fly sheets. Coated materials like this are cheaper to make and are a “true waterproof” as they contain water as a material barrier.

Teflon offer products for durable water repellency, whereby the treatment clings to individual material fibres without creating a solid layer or membrane, they are definitely not waterpoof but they will repell water droplets. These are good for light showers but lose all repellency once saturated.

On to GoreTex. Not a true waterproof at all. GoreTex is permeable and that is its fundamental aspect of invention - it is a sieve that allows water vapor to pass through but not water droplets as they’re too large. GoreTex has been very well marketed forever, it is very good but it cannot defy physics and has limits.

Despite what marketing wants us to believe, a one way breatheable waterproof cannot physically exist. There isn’t a subsance that allows a gas (water vapour) to pass in one direction and not the other. If water vapour can move in one direction through a material, it can move in the other. GoreTex only works because generally a warm body will create a warmer gas than the outside environment and (because thermodynamics) heat flows warm to cold. This is easily broken if, for example, you are not warm enough and/or by external force such as wind.

I guess I’m ranting now but I agree there are differences in the terms waterproof, water resistant and water repellency. Just not the ones initially stated.

If you want a true waterproof, wear a bin bag. You’ll still get wet inside but, hey, you’ll be waterproof. ?‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friend of mine plays in shorts and t-shirt when it's wet. When your wet your wet and you can get on with it.
This is why I've not bought any waterproof trousers in the past - usually I just wear shorts and if my legs get wet, they dry out. However I played in particularly torrential rain recently, to the point my shorts were soaked through and it was most unpleasant. So I started thinking about getting a cheap pair of trousers that might be more resilient.

sunshine

Visit site
Yeah. Cutter & Buck, Teflon-coated as rulefan correctly called it. Only 30 quid anyway thought I'd give them a go. I don't have any actual waterproof trousers, I thought these would do for the small amount of times I play in the rain.

I've seen some cutter & buck gear in a shop. It looked really cheap and poorly made. I hope you have more luck with your trousers, but don't be surprised if they start falling apart after a couple of washes (and lose their repellency - is that a word?).

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a pair of the Cutter & Buck Water resistant trousers. For the price they're decent quality and certainly keep the rain off you. The only downside is that they do hold in moisture and become very sweaty. I disagree with the comment about Cutter & Buck clothing being of poor quality - anything I've bought has been decent but I've always bought from County Golf,

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've seen some cutter & buck gear in a shop. It looked really cheap and poorly made. I hope you have more luck with your trousers, but don't be surprised if they start falling apart after a couple of washes (and lose their repellency - is that a word?).
I'll just never wash them, crisis avoided. ??

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I bought some Quicksilver tailored shorts a few weeks back (made from recycled plastic if the blurb is to be believed)

Plenty smart enough for any golf course and designed as multi purpose so you can go swimming in them too!

Doesn't make them weather proof of course but they do dry very quickly

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought some Quicksilver tailored shorts a few weeks back (made from recycled plastic if the blurb is to be believed)

Plenty smart enough for any golf course and designed as multi purpose so you can go swimming in them too!

Doesn't make them weather proof of course but they do dry very quickly
Recycled plastic used in clothing is very common. it is generally old plastic bottles (trade name Melinar) which is a suitable polyester. This is reprocessed and extruded as polyester yarn such as Terylene or Dacron.

Brads

Visit site
Bought Stromberg winter tech trousers this week.
great fit but not been out in the rain with them yet.
Having worn similar for shooting for decades , they feel like they will be a great all round trouser.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just look in the outdoor shops like blacks or mountain warehouse for waterproof trousers. Last pair I bought 7-8 years ago are still okay they are Peter storm spray away trousers .. then wash them in Grange’s water repellent stuff to keep them okay. Not sure if you can just wash any old thing in Grange’s though

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I resurrect this thread.
Day like today , when it's warm but going to be drizzly, after something that water resistant rather than proof.