Course Set Up for Qualifying Scores

Swango1980

Visit site
Just looking for an opinion. Due to the wet weather, we've basically had to shorten our 17th to a par 3 and have had several temporary greens for the last couple of months. So, we've had no qualifiers. However, there are several members who are itching to either submit cards for initial handicap, or hand in supplementary cards to get "c" back. I have told them that they will simply need to wait until the 17th is back to playing a par 4, we have no more than 2 temps, and that the yardage of the course is not more than 100 yards different to the measured value on the card.

Now, I think we are nearly at that point (depending on these storms we are now getting). However, there is one issue possibly. On our 4th hole, the green keepers have put the yellow tee markers on the old white tee box further back. Now, this only adds 40 yards extra, so no doubt this is OK, and if this is the only difference, then I can accept qualifying scores. However, one thing that would concern me is that, off the normal yellows, the water is about 80 yards to carry and the fairway bunker (middle of fairway) is about 148 yards to reach and 158 yards to carry. Now, I'm sure you'll agree, playing off the old whites instead and adding about 40 yards onto these distances can start to have quite a big difference as to how the hole is played, especially for shorter hitters (and not so short hitters, given how far the ball travels this time of year).

So, although it looks like I should be able to accept qualifying scores even if this tee box is used (and am happy to do so), I will also try to encourage the green keepers to put the tee back as soon as they can. I'd be a little worried that they decide they quite fancy moving the yellow tee box back permanently, to make use of the old white box, and then finding out that we shouldn't really be doing that considering the LUGC only measured the course from the current tee box. Cheers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was the old white previously rated?
If so, just contact your union and they should be able (via England Golf) to provide you with a new rating.
If not they may send a rater out to check out that hole.
If you have the contact details of the Team Leader it may be worth having a word with him/her. Or simply contact your county sec.
Either way it should be no more that a paper exercise.

Swango1980

Visit site
Was the old white previously rated?
If so, just contact your union and they should be able (via England Golf) to provide you with a new rating.
If not they may send a rater out to check out that hole.
If you have the contact details of the Team Leader it may be worth having a word with him/her. Or simply contact your county sec.
Either way it should be no more that a paper exercise.
Ok. If there is a desire to keep the tee on the old white, I'll see if it is simple to get it amended. It was previously rated