Watch valuations - Rolex

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all.

After my dad passed in August last year I was given two Rolex datejust watches.

Both are gorgeous looking devices without a doubt, however both have quite small faces and dont Look right on me.

My mums suggested trading them in to by a style more suited to my my wrist.

I’m in two minds about it tbh however I’ve no experience in valuing any watch, let alone Rolexes

Both have all papers, original box an a full service history.

Any ideas appreciated. Especially as I can’t take them to a reputable dealer in person currently.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Afternoon all.

After my dad passed in August last year I was given two Rolex datejust watches.

Both are gorgeous looking devices without a doubt, however both have quite small faces and dont Look right on me.

My mums suggested trading them in to by a style more suited to my my wrist.

I’m in two minds about it tbh however I’ve no experience in valuing any watch, let alone Rolexes

Both have all papers, original box an a full service history.

Any ideas appreciated. Especially as I can’t take them to a reputable dealer in person currently.

@murphthemog might be able to assist mate, he's a bit of a watch man.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you have the papers, have a look for a model reference.

Then your best bet is to look at a web site Chrono24. This is an international sales site for business and individuals. I use it to sell, and buy. Go to buy, Key in Rolex, put in the model number, and have a look. Bear in mind that foreign prices, quoted in pounds would need shipping plus vat added, so if selling in pounds, you can adjust a bit if they seem low.

It's a good Web site, I use it to buy, and sell. If you do sell, what you price it at will determine how quick it sells.

Do not sell to watchfinder, they absolutely will rob you blind.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have the papers, have a look for a model reference.

Then your best bet is to look at a web site Chrono24. This is an international sales site for business and individuals. I use it to sell, and buy. Go to buy, Key in Rolex, put in the model number, and have a look. Bear in mind that foreign prices, quoted in pounds would need shipping plus vat added, so if selling in pounds, you can adjust a bit if they seem low.

It's a good Web site, I use it to buy, and sell. If you do sell, what you price it at will determine how quick it sells.

Do not sell to watchfinder, they absolutely will rob you blind.

Much appreciated. I’ll take a nosey now.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Anywhere that is going to sell them on, will lowball on the price. This is why watchfinder is a bad deal, as they come in at around 1/3 of the selling price.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If / when you decide to buy something, don't set your heart on a stainless steel Rolex (submariner, Daytona, or even an Oyster Perpetual) at Rolex rrp. They don't exist. Again, the only place you can buy them is pre-owned, even if 'new unworn' from the web, or dealer, and they go for a premium, often close to double rrp.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
If / when you decide to buy something, don't set your heart on a stainless steel Rolex (submariner, Daytona, or even an Oyster Perpetual) at Rolex rrp. They don't exist. Again, the only place you can buy them is pre-owned, even if 'new unworn' from the web, or dealer, and they go for a premium, often close to double rrp.

Does it not rather depend on the one you want though? I bought my wife a datejust from Mappin and Webb in Bluewater last year and we only waited about 2 weeks (I also asked them about a blue dialled deepsea and they said about 4 years ?)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Does it not rather depend on the one you want though? I bought my wife a datejust from Mappin and Webb in Bluewater last year and we only waited about 2 weeks (I also asked them about a blue dialled deepsea and they said about 4 years ?)

For sure, but given he is selling (maybe) 2 datejusts, I assumed he would not want another one. Maybe a datejust 41, but even they are not that common.
If they quote 4 years, they are being polite. They really mean no.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haywood is your man, cracking guy and loads of knowledge ??

At Uni I once acted as his "bodyguard" when he took 6 Rolexes to meet a potential buyer at the Old Course Hotel. He wasn't worried about the buyer but was concerned about walking from the hotel to the bank night safe afterwards in the dark. My instructions were to carry the bag with the watches in it and if there were any problems I was to leave him and leg it to the bank to make sure they got in to the safe.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
At Uni I once acted as his "bodyguard" when he took 6 Rolexes to meet a potential buyer at the Old Course Hotel. He wasn't worried about the buyer but was concerned about walking from the hotel to the bank night safe afterwards in the dark. My instructions were to carry the bag with the watches in it and if there were any problems I was to leave him and leg it to the bank to make sure they got in to the safe.

Did that make you the nightwatchman?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back on track, if you can find a way to the Japanese secondhand market you will possibly make the best price. The smaller dial sizes are more popular and they like a Rolex

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Back on track, if you can find a way to the Japanese secondhand market you will possibly make the best price. The smaller dial sizes are more popular and they like a Rolex

Germans also love a datejust. When I sold mine, that is where it went. The Japanese love Speedmasters, Germans datejusts, Americans love day dates, British tend to be Submariners. The advantage of Chrono24 is that it is global, so yes, anything put on there is visible to anywhere, including Japan.