My Irons and Wedge fitting

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, it's another fitting thread, this time my own fitting for irons and wedges...... And yes! This is going to be a long post :mad:

After a meet and greet with Peter, the same chap who fitted my Scotty we got to work.

After the hour long drive to get there, Peter suggested I hit 25 balls to loosen up and get myself ready. I hit my warm up balls with my own 6 iron.

Then Peter came over with the new 2012 Mizuno Swing DNA Gizmo.

74BED899-F62C-478E-893A-5A826D04A096-3799-0000017EF0BB3C0F_zps979f2c91.jpg

He set up the monitor and had me hit my 3 shots.

My swing speed with my 6 iron varied from 67MPH -71MPH, with all the other variables calculated by the swing DNA shown.

D7806556-2B9C-4538-8C3B-FA68CAD7CEAA-3799-0000017EE518ABCF_zpse837bdab.jpg

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I have no idea after swing speed what these numbers mean. Peter did try and explain but it was way over my head. However I know I don't swing fast and have a deliberate swing so the swing speed is about where I would expect.

The shaft optimizer suggested.

TT Dynalite Gold XP
Nippon NS Pro 1150
Project X 5.0

I then hit about 10 shots with each.

Didn't like the Project X one bit. Zero feel to the thing and just felt absolutely dead.

Nippon NS was a nice feeling shaft but really light. I know from experience light shafts don't suit me (Too high) and felt pretty much like the Dynalite XP.

After some deliberation I settled on the Dynalite. Peter screwed the MP63 head to the shaft and we hit some balls.

The shaft felt nice enough through the swing if not a little light. Average carry distance was 149 yards with a launch angle of 19*, in one or two instances the launch went up over 20* (21* and 22*).

Peter Asked what shaft I had in my MP32, which is R300.

He said that although the shaft is not recommended my the DNA we'd give it a blast as it's what I currently play.

Plugged in the R300 shaft and the club was a completely different beast. Average carry was up to 161 yards, with a ball speed of 106MPH and a launch angle of 16* with the highest launch angle of 18*.

The fitter then said that my assumption that light shafts weren't suited to me was pretty much right. With the R300 in the head as opposed to the Dynalite R300 I was getting 3* lower launch but over all increased carry.

I decided that I would stick with what I knew in the R300 shaft as it gave a lower launch and more over all carry.

He then asked if I would like to try the MP64 head. Reluctantly I agreed as I was prepared to see a massive improvement over the 63's and leave me with a decision to make.

Turns out the results were broardly similar with nothing standing out that much I would choose the 64 over the 63.

Peter then took my static measurements. Height 6ft,wrist to floor of 34.5" puts me at standard length and lie.

We then moved to the lie board and hit a number of balls to see what the score was dynamically. The main strikes were toward the toe area of the face. After some adjustments Peter advised the best fit for my swing would be 1* upright at standard length.

Measured and agreed 2 extra warps under the grip tape under standard M21 grips would be best for me.

Job done.

464BD624-7E8A-4EE2-8B9C-F0B1B6AD59CC-3799-0000017ED6337FED_zps743a1a4e.jpg

AB0ACA3E-B3EE-4D0C-BE1A-01E623B13601-3799-0000017ECC93108A_zps593b6375.jpg

After the irons were fitted we moved on to wedges.

Handled a few, opening and closing the face, hit wedges from Mizuno, Nike, Callaway, Titleist, Cobra and TM.

Ended up out of the lot being torn between the Mizuno T4's and MPR-12:D (... I can see how surprised you are )

To try and narrow it down further we then got to talking about how I use my wedges, to which I said I prefer to carry less wedges and try and be creative when not hitting a full shot, I.E opening and de-lofting faces, half and 3/4 shots swing with both wedges. I also use both my wedges for both full shots and green side chipping.

Based on the results of our chat, and me taking a liking to the T4's we decided to start there.

Taped up the sole of my old 52* Mizuno to see what kind of player I am (Digger, neutral, slider)

Hit 10 x 3/4 shots and 10 x 1/2 swings to see the tale of the impact tape

Turns out I have a neutral style and require mid bounce on my wedges.

Next I hit an MP63 pitching wedge 15 to get an average carry distance which turns out to be 116 yards.

Next we decided on the most lofted wedge I wanted to carry. I wanted to keep things a similar as possible so decided on 58*. Hit some more balls to get my 58* carry. Av at 84 yards.

Then worked back from there to try and find a club as close to the middle of the gap (32 yards) as possible.

56* was no where near, way too close to the 58*. 54* came in at 94 yards and the 52* came in at 102 yards (Av).

So I have average yardage gaps of:

PW/46* = 116 Yards
GW/52* = 102 Yards
SW/58* = 84 yards

So, give or take 16 yards between clubs.

Fitter asked if I was OK with that or would I prefer to go 60*, 56*, 52* so I had more full shots at greens. As I say I wanted to keep things as close to my current set-up and playing style so opted 52*/58*.

So

52.07 and 58.10 for the wedges

He also suggested keeping the True Temper Wedge flex shafts instead of putting DG R300's in instead.

I could understand why we went this way. I wanted minimal change from my current set up, basically just to freshen up the bag with new shineys and sharper grooves. These are pretty much the same as the T10's

Peter explained that the sole grinds on the T4's would suit me a little better than the MPR-12's. He basically said the T4's have a more rounded bevel which will give a better turf interaction and be less punishing when I'm not swinging well.

After thinking about how I used the wedge the most and how he explained the different grinds between the T4 and MPR-12, and their differences and suitability to me I was completely sold.

We went back to do some measurements and re-visit the lie board. Again, static fitting came up with standard length and lie. He taped up the soles again and the same as the irons 1* upright.

Now I had to make a real decision. Satin Chrome or Black Nickel :mad:

After much deliberation, looking at the at address, backs of the heads, face, it really was a coin flip but in the end I went with the black nickel option :whoo:

They just look sooooo good at address in the darker finish.

Once everything was agreed it was off the the counter to fill out the order form.

Mizuno MP63 Irons 3-PW. True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 shafts. 1* upright. 3 layers of tape under standard grips.

Mizuno T4 Wedges. Balck Nickel finish. True Temper Wedge Flex shafts. 1* upright. 3 layers of tape under standard grips.

Peter advised that they should be with me by the end of this week, the start of next week at the very latest :thup:

I'll post pictures when they arrive.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Nice write up and glad you got sorted.

I really do struggle to see the point of the DNA thingy. Looks way too big and heavy an instrument to be strapping to a shaft.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
looks good, at least you brought your game to the fitting. which i had a nice controlled swing. did you not like the m31 grips?

M31 grips on wedges pal. M21 on the irons.

Decided stick with stock grips as, to be honest, they felt quite nice.

Probably change when I regrip :thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nice write up Gareth.

2 things, did he do a strike pad on all your irons or just the 6 iron then will bend the rest the same?
secondly, you stated 2 wraps of tape then further on 3 layers, did you change your mind?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nice write up Gareth.

2 things, did he do a strike pad on all your irons or just the 6 iron then will bend the rest the same?
secondly, you stated 2 wraps of tape then further on 3 layers, did you change your mind?

Lie was checked on 4, 6 and 8 iron. Took the 4 and 8 irons out of another off the shelf set.

Sorry, the grips are 2 additional layers, 3 layers total.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why the 63's over the new 64's?

Price or was there no diff in performance?

Also the distances for the wedges seemed high for the club head speed, i might be way off but, i recently had a go on a trackman and my CHS was 86-88 with a 6 iron and thats further than i hit my wedges on the course.

does that sound right to anyone else?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site

Also the distances for the wedges seemed high for the club head speed, i might be way off but, i recently had a go on a trackman and my CHS was 86-88 with a 6 iron and thats further than i hit my wedges on the course.

think i was around the 86mph on the machine
but out on the course im
pw 130 yards
gap 50 100 yards
sw 56 80 yards

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
think i was around the 86mph on the machine
but out on the course im
pw 130 yards
gap 50 100 yards
sw 56 80 yards

I Img your mx200 cav back pw would go further than the Mp32 or 62 i'm using, thats 9 iron distance for me!!
other distance are sim as i'm using the mp10 wedges.

puzzled!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
mx200 pw is a 45 degree. was ive reshafted them (kbs tours arrived the day) im going to have a rethink wedge wise for distance gaps

i tried the mp 59s last week but were to balloony and spinny for me.
by all accounts some tour pros play the jpx 825 pros!!!!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

At my fitting, my 6 iron hovered from 88-91.

When checking gaps on his Flightscope, I averaged...

PW 134
52* 122
56* 104
60* 88

On the course at the moment (ie. cold) I reckon I'm getting about 10yds less than those. It will be interesting when it warms up to see how accurate the launch monitor figures really are.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

The 64's were £599 and the 63's were £399.

There wasn't a massive difference between the two with the same shaft to justify the additional £200.

Even with the Dynalite shaft in both heads the difference was minor.

Launch and carry were pretty similar as was the feel of the club although, if being honest, I preferred the look of the 63's to the 64's as I don't like the blank diamond muscle on the back of the 64.

Just my preference I suppose.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
At my fitting, my 6 iron hovered from 88-91.

When checking gaps on his Flightscope, I averaged...

PW 134
52* 122
56* 104
60* 88

On the course at the moment (ie. cold) I reckon I'm getting about 10yds less than those. It will be interesting when it warms up to see how accurate the launch monitor figures really are.

Difference is Gary, you haven't got the swing speed of a middle aged woman like me :ears:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice write up Gareth, I hope you'll be very happy together :)

Just one question. When you say.......

We went back to do some measurements and re-visit the lie board. Again, static fitting came up with standard length and lie. He taped up the soles again and the same as the irons 1* upright.

Did he expect you to have grown since he first took your static measurements! :D

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

yes - but I have come to accept that wedge distances vary significantly amongst players (much more the player than the club)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Did he expect you to have grown since he first took your static measurements! :D

I don't know about growing but after seeing my swing speed I probably shrank an inch or two :mad:

seriously though my swing is what it is. I enjoy the game and can hit it far enough (...... Just) to put something like a score together.

All in all I'm a happy boy.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Difference is Gary, you haven't got the swing speed of a middle aged woman like me :ears:

Disnae matter as long as it's repeatable :thup:

161yds is a decent number with a slowish club speed. I'm only just over 170 and I swing like a lunatic sometimes.