Waste of time or what ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing this afternoon one of our green staff was busy using a tractor mounted blower, blowing leaves off the fairways to the edge of the course.

Tomorrows forecast is 75 mph winds:confused:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing this afternoon one of our green staff was busy using a tractor mounted blower, blowing leaves off the fairways to the edge of the course.

Tomorrows forecast is 75 mph winds:confused:
Yep. See that all the time at our place in Autumn. They'll spend ages blowing leaves off the greens but there are trees right by the putting surface and it's blowing hard. What's going to happen next? I appreciate the intent but sadly the outcome never changes year on year. To be fair though they do try and also keep the greenside bunkers clear which does make a difference

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The inherent problem with leaf blowing is you are just moving the problem to a different place.

Several occasions I’ve lost balls in piles of blown leaves just off the fairway.

They need to be blown well away or removed, but with 75 mph winds yes it’s a pointless task

GregKael

Medal Winner
Visit site
But as sure as eggs are eggs, there will be someone complaining that they hadn't been cleared and the green staff are sitting around all day drinking tea.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a local rule available for a ball lost in a temporary accumulation of leaves but I have never seen it implemented at any club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Talking about wasting time....Greenkeeper on his mower cutting the fairways this morning - and cutting nothing..you couldn't tell where he'd cut and where he hadn't.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
There is a local rule available for a ball lost in a temporary accumulation of leaves but I have never seen it implemented at any club.

Our club usually does put it into play in the months of October and November, especially if there are still qualifiers to be played during that time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Talking about wasting time....Greenkeeper on his mower cutting the fairways this morning - and cutting nothing..you couldn't tell where he'd cut and where he hadn't.

Is that because you did not play yesterday and see all the little tufts of grass. The mowers are set at a given height and if it is like our course all they are doing is removing the little tufts of longer grass. This still takes the same amount of time as if the whole of the grass needed cutting.