Was there a way out of this DQ ?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quick Rundown .

Guy stands on the 18the hole 44 on pts, hits his drive down the right in the long grass .. they spent 2/3 mins looking for the ball , he decides to speed things up he would to go back & hit a provisional (i know) as the other players search for his ball .. he tees off the provisional ( i know) as they search , just then they find the first ball ... he picks up the provisional , plays the 1st ball has a 6 for 2pts and signs and submits for 46pts .. guy is over the moon ..

Conversation re the hole goes on in the bar and it is pointed out you cant go back to hit a provisional and the min he hit it , it was now the ball in play ..as he had signed and submitted for the wrong score it was a DQ..

Now the question ,

is there not a new rule somewhere that as he didnt know the rule and didnt purposely break it that a 2 shot penalty can b appllied by the handicap committee and revised score is allowed ..

He would have come 2nd

the result had not been posted at this stage

thought i heard of this rule maybe im mad .. attitude in club is Ignorance is no excuse ..

Thanks

G

guest100718

I dont think so, there was the rule 33-7 i think it is, which can be used under exceptional circumstances to stop people getting DQd such as after a rules phone in where golfers had clipped a LI in a hazard but you could only see it under super duper slow mo.. Or if your name is Tiger..

Last edited:

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Rule 33-7 allows committee's to waive a penalty of disqualification in exceptional circumstances, and was cited by the committee at Augusta in waiving Tigers possible disqualification from this years Masters. Not knowing a rule or not purposely breaking a rule are not exceptional circumstances.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont think so, there was the rule 33-7 i think it is which can be usedto stop people getting DQd after a rules phone in where golfers had clipped a LI in a hazard but you could only see it under super duper slow mo.. Or if your name is Tiger..

This is the rule your thinking of where padraig Harrington was D'QD as on HD close up his ball oscillated a tiny amount not visible to naked eye but under rule was played from in correction position. Ignorance of rules is not an excuse (unless your tiger at Augusta....... :mmm:
So don't think there was guy is going to be gutted and cut for a d'q.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
DQ from the competition is correct.

He would have had to realise his blunder and begin to correct it 'before all players had left the last green'.

Good news though is that the 44 points count for handicap. Should the Club reneg on this then he should kick up a huge fuss and refer them to the UHS Appendix P. It's the first entry that is the relevant one.

Btw. I believe it as Harrington's DQ that triggered the change that allowed the 'exceptional circumstances' clause (though not 100% certain).

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The experts will be along shortly. but I'd say you can't go back and play a p/v, so 2nd ball is now in play. He is no Tiger and has no pals on the council , so D\Q.:eek:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If he hadn't played at the 2nd(Provo..?!) ball then he could have gone forward and played the original if it had been found in the 5 minutes
But the moment he plays at the 2nd ball it becomes the ball in play as he had left the teeing ground so a provisional couldn't be used...

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Decision 33/7-4.5 is the recent decision that allows the waiving of a DQ is it results from a breach that can only be detected by super-slow-mo cameras (e.g. Harrington's incident). The decision also contains the following-
"A Committee would not be justified under Rule 33-7 in waiving or modifying the disqualification penalty prescribed in Rule 6-6d if the competitor's failure to include the penalty stroke(s) was a result of either ignorance of the Rules or of facts that the competitor could have reasonably discovered prior to signing and returning his score card."

I can't see a way around the DQ

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers guys was just wondering as he is an older bloke and is 100% solid good man ..

he was chuffed with the cut anyhow as he hated having a handicap of over 18..

Thanks Again

Bill