Was I Too Honest?!?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
But in your 1st post you are questioning integrity, fair play, saying it's not the done thing and it's not nice.
Those comments I feel are out of order.
You have misread. I was talking about a reputation for integrity and fair play. A lack of positive reputation is not the same as a negative reputation.
However, you're entitled to consider my comments "out of order" - we all have opinions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This evening I played in a final match play competition, after 9 holes I was two up against my opponent.
On the 10th hole par three I was on the green and my opponent went wild right. He played his shot and hit a telegraph pole, he then lined his third up and had a practice swing from behind the wall where the ball ended up. I mentioned he’d be allowed to retake the shot without penalty (local rule) he didn’t think of the rule and retook his shot scoring and 3 and long story short came back from behind to beat me overall. Was I too honest? Should I have stayed quiet? Is it up to him to know the rules?

The local rule should read ' must be replayed' or similar so all you have done is to remind him to follow the rules. Better that than letting him play from where the ball landed and then saying "should you have replayed the first shot".

E-11
If it is known or virtually certain that a player’s ball hit a power line or tower or a wire or pole supporting a power line during the play of specify hole number, the stroke does not count. The player must play a ball without penalty from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6 for what to do).

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hitting the pole is a free retake?

It's more often the wires and usually it's a compulsory retake.

Yep, it's only the wires at our course. Hit the pole....tough luck.

The 2019 rules changed the wording to include the supports. Looks one of the changes your club missed

Rule -E-11

If it is known or virtually certain that a player’s ball hit a power line or tower or a wire or pole supporting a power line during the play of specify hole number, the stroke does not count. The player must play a ball without penalty from where the previous stroke was made (see Rule 14.6 for what to do).

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not the same circumstances but similar situation. Last year in an individual match play game against another club, I had lost the last 3 holes to stand all square on the last tee. My opponent was on the tee and was just about to take his stroke when my phone pinged. I apologised as I had thought it was turned off and my opponent reset himself and proceeded to completely miss hit the shot sideways off his drivers heel into thick bushes. I told him to retake the shot as I felt I was to blame and he blasted it straight up the middle of the fairway. On the green he had a 15 foot birdie putt and I had an 8 foot par putt and he offered me a half to reciprocate the gesture.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Not the same circumstances but similar situation. Last year in an individual match play game against another club, I had lost the last 3 holes to stand all square on the last tee. My opponent was on the tee and was just about to take his stroke when my phone pinged. I apologised as I had thought it was turned off and my opponent reset himself and proceeded to completely miss hit the shot sideways off his drivers heel into thick bushes. I told him to retake the shot as I felt I was to blame and he blasted it straight up the middle of the fairway. On the green he had a 15 foot birdie putt and I had an 8 foot par putt and he offered me a half to reciprocate the gesture.

Similar to Seve, Nick Price, the World Matchplay final, and the fruitcake. Seve choked on a piece of fruitcake during Price's downswing, he wanted to allow Price to retake a shot but the rules official said no. I may have remembered some or all of this incorrectly!

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Similar to Seve, Nick Price, the World Matchplay final, and the fruitcake. Seve choked on a piece of fruitcake during Price's downswing, he wanted to allow Price to retake a shot but the rules official said no. I may have remembered some or all of this incorrectly!

Yeah Seve went on to make Price putt out from 8 foot or so for a half when he should have conceded the putt ??