Wanted: Irons with +3.75° upright lie

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening all. My teaching pro, club pro and local salesperson are all in agreement - I need longer clubs with a more upright lie angle.

As such my G15s are going to be flogged and hopefully replaced with second-hand clubs which fit my swing/stature. I am hoping to mitigate my exposure to additional cost and thus looking away from Ping and opening up the floor to any reputable brands which make decent game-improver irons and which have a lie angle akin to Ping's Silver Dot. I have looked on Golfbidder and eBay but, save for perusing every single classified, there is no easy way to see whether anything is suitable.

Anyone have something similar going - a long-shot but worth a shot nevertheless. Alternatively, can anyone tell me a way I may be able to source second-hand clubs within such parameters?

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Evening all. My teaching pro, club pro and local salesperson are all in agreement - I need longer clubs with a more upright lie angle.

As such my G15s are going to be flogged and hopefully replaced with second-hand clubs which fit my swing/stature. I am hoping to mitigate my exposure to additional cost and thus looking away from Ping and opening up the floor to any reputable brands which make decent game-improver irons and which have a lie angle akin to Ping's Silver Dot. I have looked on Golfbidder and eBay but, save for perusing every single classified, there is no easy way to see whether anything is suitable.

Anyone have something similar going - a long-shot but worth a shot nevertheless. Alternatively, can anyone tell me a way I may be able to source second-hand clubs within such parameters?

Why not get Ping to adjust the lie angle for you and get the shafts extended; get the extra length first and then send them to Pings and ask them to adjust them? There will be little difference between most of the main brands lie angles as standard; as a general rule, American companies tend to be slightly more upright than Japanese companies, because Americans tend to be taller than Japanese, but you are already in an American brand. Nearly 4 degrees is a hell of a shift, which you will struggle to bend clubs to. And iirc the Ping lie angle will be an effective rather than an actual lie angle, so if you've been measured to a Ping silver dot you'll need to factor the extra length in before bending anything, another good reason to get Ping to do it if you have been measured to their specs.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Lengthening the club's will automatically make the lie angle more upright, so if you buy some used clubs at standard length & upright lie you may not need to bend them as much. Most forged clubs will take 3 to 4° of bend no problem. Mine are on the limit at 4°

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Why not get Ping to adjust the lie angle for you and get the shafts extended; get the extra length first and then send them to Pings and ask them to adjust them? There will be little difference between most of the main brands lie angles as standard; as a general rule, American companies tend to be slightly more upright than Japanese companies, because Americans tend to be taller than Japanese, but you are already in an American brand. Nearly 4 degrees is a hell of a shift, which you will struggle to bend clubs to. And iirc the Ping lie angle will be an effective rather than an actual lie angle, so if you've been measured to a Ping silver dot you'll need to factor the extra length in before bending anything, another good reason to get Ping to do it if you have been measured to their specs.
The reason for selling and buying clubs that fit is to save money. The cost of having them lengthened and adjusted is way out of proportion to the value of the clubs.
Try e-bay again.

I searched for Ping Silver Dot, found these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ping-S59-...-Silver-Dot-/252083947113?hash=item3ab15fc669

Also more sets if you search for white dot, which could be bent relatively easily.

EDit, oops, sorry, just realised this is on for sale/wanted, rather than Lounge. Please ignore if not relevant.
Thanks. I had limited my search to G-series clubs but my pro said I should be fine with i-series - I think S59s would be a step too far!
I've got some 2010 Titleist AP1s that are 4 degrees upright. Going away with work for a couple of weeks so wouldn't be able to do any deal till later this month though...
Tempted. What sort of condition are they in, and what price would you be looking for?

Lengthening the club's will automatically make the lie angle more upright, so if you buy some used clubs at standard length & upright lie you may not need to bend them as much. Most forged clubs will take 3 to 4° of bend no problem. Mine are on the limit at 4°
I have been static fitted by two pros and advised to go for lengthened and silver dot. Also, as above, trying to do this for a straight swap as opposed to there being an outlay to get them to fit.