Walking the course with Padraig.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
After our custom fit/lesson, PH went out for a driving clinic and then a six hole skins game. He played of +5, he was up against two club pros and an amateur who received one shot on every hole.

His driving clinic was a joy to behold. He was on the 10th hole of the International course which is 357 yards off the white tees. He drove the bunker at the front of the green! So, a 320 yards drive then! He did this about five times!

They then played the hole. PH went left (!) of the green and was joined by the two club pros. The amateur went slightly right. PH had to take a drop but was on in three. The club pros all made the green as did the amateur. The club pros missed their putts and holed our for par. PH holed our for par (!). The amateur won the hole with a 4 nett 3.

The 11th is 527 yard par 5. PH is in the greenside bunker in two - gets up and down for his birdie.

Now, before anyone states that none of this is exceptional - I'll add that he wasn't using his own clubs. His irons were the same as they're Wilson but he was using a Wilson driver and a Wilson putter. Both to his spec but noit his preferred choice.

The 11th was halved.

They then jumped over to the 15th which is 340 yards off the whites. He almost drove the green! It was wind behind but still, a VERY impressive blow. He got up and down for birdie.

He mentioned something very interesting now. He said that he's an average hitter on the tour. He said that the ball leaves his clubface at 170mph. Mine leaves at 113mph. There's the difference right there! How does he generate such speeds? A question for him for another time.....

He parred the next hole. Not a standard par - oh no! He went left again off the tee and had a fairly decent shot into the green. He mis hit his approach and ended up in another greenside bunker. He splashed out but left himself a tricky five footer.

He said another interesting point here. The green was fairly uneven and the other lads misread their putts. PH said that amateurs misread greens to a factor of three. He rolled in his five footer.

He parred the next and the 18th.

It was here that I realised how long he really is. I played the International back in March and on the 18th I hit a good drive - roughly 280 yards off the whites. I thought this was a mightly blow and was proud of my achievement. Yesterday, PH smashed it 320! It made the hole completely different.

It was a pleasure to walk those six holes with him. He made the game look sooo easy. He was in trouble on some holes but never in trouble. He knew exactly how to remedy the situation.

Anyone considering watching the pros in a tour event - do it! Don't even think about it, just do it - you won't regret it!

Lastly, may I thank Mike, Jezz. Callum, Tom and all at GM for a truly unforgettable day! The company was excellent, we were well looked after and the memories will live with me for two lifetimes!

To Phil and the Wilson tour truck - thank you! In your world of elite performance, you took the time to pass on your expertise to a hacker like me and I thank you. You were kind and courteous and you made me feel like a superstar - I'm in your debt.

To Twire - you were great company my man and if I'm ever in Devon I'll take you up on that offer of a knock!

Finally, to PH. You play this game on another level to me. To you it's a breeze. You made the London Club look like a municipal pitch and putt. You've actually stood over a putt that was for the Open! You've beaten the Americans in their own back yard - loads! And yet, you showed such enthusiasm to help me with my moody game. Your eyes lit up when I thinned one. You came into your own then! You went the extra yard with Twire - that was hugely impressive. You wanted to work on chipping - even though the man said that you didn't have time - although I reckon that was your favourite bit.....
Thanks for the day PH - you've made me want to practice even more and get even better and then, who knows, I might get to meet you again.....

AW - number 1 PH fan!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dave, read both posts and your write up really conveys what a fantastic day you had and nice to hear PH is as down to earth as he appears! What an experience and one that will live long in the memory-a great birthday present.

Did you get any Ryder Cup gossip or the inside track on the RC?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another great read AW.

Just one thing though

He said that the ball leaves his clubface at 170mph. Mine leaves at 113mph. There's the difference right there!

I read it from the other thread that your speed was with a 6 iron?

To be hitting the sort of distances you are with a driver the ball will be leaving the club at 150 ish mph.

Still a gap to work on though ;)

Have you seen the Youtube video of him hitting a la Happy Gilmore?

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great reviews Dave. Glad you enjoyed your day. Next time you play Sundridge, you will be off scratch :mad:

Look forward to a double page spread of the day with photos in GM mag.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Paddy's driver swing speed is about 115mph, which is average-ish for the Tour. That is clubhead speed and translates to about 170mph ball speed. The ratio of ball speed to clubhead speed with the driver is about 1.5:1, also known as smash factor.

The average decent amateur has about 95-100mph driver clubhead speed, and a slightly lower smash factor due to less optimal contact than a pro, say about 1.45, for a ball speed with the driver of about 140-ish. Ball speed with a 6 iron would be in that 110-115mph range.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a brilliant day, you lucky bleeder. More power to GM for giving you the chance.

Padraig sounds like a great ambassador for the game and I can see now why the R & A were overjoyed to have him as Open Champion for that 2nd year to represent the game.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great write up AW, both this and the other thread. Usually when someone posts a long thread I start reading a couple of lines and then get bored and dont bother with the rest, but read both these through to the end

Glad you both enjoyed the day, certainly a day to remember! :D

By the way, did Paddy also teach you how to strutt? :D

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds an awesome day AW. I knew I should have put myself forward, I only live about 35 minutes from the Golf Club. As you say memories that will last a life time.

PH sounds to be a great guy, like so many of the other golfers we hear about, there was a good write up on David Howell recently.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
They obviously picked the right men for this and the write up is great

Well done and really glad you enjoyed it so much, jealous as I am!

I saw a bit from it on the BBC local news last night and it looked like PH was enjoying it

Chris

D

Deleted member 1418

Glad you had a cracking day fella - hope all the tips, and new clubs, work their magic for you!