Walking is an integral part of the (pro) game

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I see John Daly will be zipping it round Bethpage at the PGA in a buggy after his request to use one has been approved (not sure if his caddy or clubs get to share it though, I think not)

Flado's pretty clear he thinks "walking is an integral part of being a pro golfer" While the PGA tour have previously said "walking is an integral part of the game" (whether they mean just the 'pro game' or the 'game' is not clear)

So a couple of things I'd like to gauge opinion on;
Firstly is it a bit double standards (or maybe overstating things) to favour a no buggy stance citing walking as essential/fundamental to playing the game, but getting some fella/lass to carry your 10-15kg of clubs for 10km for five days running somehow does not impact the games' fundamentals? i.e. walking is integral but not carrying any of your clubs/equipment gives no similar benefit!
Also do you think walking & carrying is an integral part of the amateur game? i.e if you use battery/alternate power of some kind to get you &/or your gear round the course do you feel like as AM's its missing some of the essentials & fundamentals from the game you play?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Buggies and to a lesser extend eleectric trolleys are a great help for people who would otherwise struggle. Having them available is part of what makes the game accessible to seniors and players with physical limitations. And I think that is the role they should play. So if Daly needs a buggy because he can't comfortably walk the course anymore, I think that's fine and the same should go for any other player, professional or amateur.

If you give a healthy young person a buggy, I am not sure it would give him or her an advantage. I always feel that my golf game suffers when I don't walk. My muscles cool off, I lose my rythm and I also find that buggys do little to speed up the game ... quite the contrary, depending on the course layout and restrictions to where buggies are allowed. I find them slow and awkward compared to just whizzing around with a carrybag. I've always loved walking, even before I started playing golf and the fact that every round is a nice little hike is part of what makes the game attractive to me. So even if I were allowed to use a buggy in a comp, I wouldn't.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
I think this may instigate the beginnings of lots more players who bring a doctors letter to allow them use of a buggy. Don’t have a problem with it personally (especially if it is a diagnosed physical disability), and who knows, maybe there will be a future champion who has a serious disability but use of a buggy will aid their integration into mainstream professional golf.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very simple equation for me.

Either everyone is permitted to use them, or no-one. This decision will have significant ramifications going forwards (for the pro game).

Handicap events have no such issues (other than those they make themselves with silly rules). You are handicapped based on the totality of your golfing approach ie you may have the best shoes, best clubs, a coach and a physio as well as a range in your garden and a putting green in the bedroom...and you may have a caddy and a buggy. All of these are reflected in your handicap. So if any of them give you an advantage they become neutralised (accepting only over time). That's the principle, and it's valid. You can't legislate differently for someone who decides to use a buggy because they are feeling a little weak one day (but arguably the buggy use that time is only levelling the situation anyway).

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not a fan of this in the pro game, and I hope it isn't the beginning of *cliche alert* a slippery slope.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s not the first time a Pro has been allowed a buggy, so I don’t see the issue, my issue is more the fact they’ve brought it on themselves, ie, he’s only in the event because of an exemption I believe.
Change that rule, ie, exemption only stands for X years or until they have no realistic chance to compete etc.
With lifetime exemptions a lot of “older” pros may decide they can extend their appearances by getting the Doctors note.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How long before Michelson needs one? He is not disabled, but when miked up, is far from fit. After two holes, he was blowing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend to think it should not be allowed in the pro game unless there are issues around a golfer being an amputee. Golf is a sport and as such fitness is part of the game. Pro's don't carry their clubs they only have to walk. It is not asking a great deal to be able to manage that.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I tend to think it should not be allowed in the pro game unless there are issues around a golfer being an amputee. Golf is a sport and as such fitness is part of the game. Pro's don't carry their clubs they only have to walk. It is not asking a great deal to be able to manage that.
I agree, and it wouldn't even speed the game up. Walking between shots gives people time to think about their next one. Also, all they are doing is walking and playing 70-80 shots. It's not physically demanding.

On the amateur front, I much prefer to walk as I can enjoy the course and the game. When I play using a buggy it's never as satisfying and feels more "rushed". I do use an electric trolley as our course is pretty hilly and I hit a lot more than 70 shots in a round, and, living in Scotland, I have to have a selection of clothing in the bag to cope with the changing climate in a single round. o_O

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I kinda agree I just think that if we invented the game tomorrow then caddy's wouldn't be a thing, they just wouldn't exist at any level. Just kinda bugged me when Faldo comes out with the not integral to the pro game nonsense, lazy comment

D

Deleted member 21258

Other than viewing, will look poor if buggies used and probably most pros wanting to walk maybe ? (know I certainly would rather walk than buggy it)

Don't really see a problem in allowing them to use buggies, happy to move on, just like use bleeding lasers for distances:p

Wont be allowed clearly as the big chiefs wont allow it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
From a purely personal perspective, the thread is about the pro game to be fair, I find a round lacks flow in a buggy. Fine on a long hilly course but walking between shots gives me time to think, lets me take in the surroundings. With the pro game being so slow I can see Daly getting frustrated with having to hang around even more as he will get to his ball before everyone else and then sit there waiting. Incidentally, will he still have a caddy? I know a caddy does more than carry the bag but fundamentally that is what they do.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally would prefer to keep them out of the Pro game from a logistical point of view. 140 or 150 players all using buggies is a lot of buggies.

BUT for matchplay events I'd go the other way and I'd be happy to see buggies used to speed up play and make things move a bit quicker. Also, I'm not really that interested in seeing the matchplay come down to 2 guys that have played 7 rounds of golf in 5 days. It becomes a survival of the fittest, rather than who is the better golfer.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would split 'golf' into two categories.

Competitive golf......no buggies, it is a sport and therefore an element of physical fitness should come into the equation.

Recreational golf....buggies are fine as it allows people to get out into the fresh air and enjoy a pastime although I'm not generally a fan of buggies because they damage courses.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On what medical basis was Daly allowed one?
Wasn't officially disclosed

(prob his dodgy knee but that's a guess)

GM are reporting it is due to his knee. Apparently it is knackered. There was a technical term but this is the gist of it. In his words, he can walk up a hill but not down.

The buggy will be open, not covered by the way. Not sure why that matters but there you go.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
2 ways for me..

Daly/anybody needs a sicknote so I'd say ,no ...get better and come back and his spot goes to first alternate

Which is different from someone with a disability and requirements are different and perhaps essential.Then I'm fine with that although it would pose problems with/for the caddy!!!

On a cynical note will Daly's buggy have advertising on it and all of a sudden it's a sponsorship 🤔

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
2 ways for me..

Daly/anybody needs a sicknote so I'd say ,no ...get better and come back and his spot goes to first alternate

Which is different from someone with a disability and requirements are different and perhaps essential.Then I'm fine with that although it would pose problems with/for the caddy!!!

On a cynical note will Daly's buggy have advertising on it and all of a sudden it's a sponsorship 🤔

I'd tend to agree with this as well.

If someone is struggling to walk 18 holes a day, or 36 holes in 20 hours then he probably shouldn't be competing in a top sporting event.

I guess this is going the same was as golf clubs not allowing trolleys unless you have a doctors note for a bad back. Fast forward 20 years and pretty much everyone uses a trolley.