Walker Cup

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great show from GB&I but unfortunately just not enough for the win. The boys should be proud of their performance especially when you compare the size of the two countries.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Havent followed it too closely in recent years. Is it only a competition for students now, or are there any true amateurs involved ?
Time for a mid-amateur type revamp to exclude the effectively professional apprentices ?

Last edited:

Teebs

Visit site
Havent followed it too closely in recent years. Is it only a competition for students now, or are there any true amateurs involved now ?
Time for a mid-amateur type revamp to exclude the effectively professional apprentices ?

It's a mix, one of the guys on the US team is in his 30s or 40s and a guy on the GB&I team is an optometrist. Majority are college players on both teams though (and why wouldn't you if you were good enough?)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It's a mix, one of the guys on the US team is in his 30s or 40s and a guy on the GB&I team is an optometrist. Majority are college players on both teams though (and why wouldn't you if you were good enough?)
Sure, why not if you are picked. But as competition, it has losts its purpose as a competition for amateurs in the true sense of elite golfers who nevertheless play for fun and not for coin.
What we have now, barring the occasional curio exception you mention, is a junior Ryder Cup. They arent playing for pay today, but are trainee professionals for whom the Walker Cup is another step on that ladder rather than a pinnacle for passtime golfers of Britain and USA.

Teebs

Visit site
Sure, why not if you are picked. But as competition, it has losts its purpose as a competition for amateurs in the true sense of elite golfers who nevertheless play for fun and not for coin.
What we have now, barring the occasional curio exception you mention, is a junior Ryder Cup. They arent playing for pay today, but are trainee professionals for whom the Walker Cup is another step on that ladder rather than a pinnacle for passtime golfers of Britain and USA.

True.

D

Deleted member 31467

It's a competition for the best amateurs, of course the majority of them are heading to the pro ranks. Why wouldn't they?

D

Deleted member 15344

Are you a parody account

Or someone just looking to be controversial

D

Deleted member 15344

No reason. But thats not the point.

The players picked in the Walker Cup have always been the same ilk - some go onto become professional, some stay amateur, some don’t make it and some just stop playing golf

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it's time to change the competition to a European team rather than GB & I. I don't think it's competitive in it's current form and will only get less competitive going forward.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

We already have a Junior Ryder Cup, but it includes the whole of Europe not just UK & I. The fact that it is an amateur competition means that they aren't playing for pay, and the age group (One 16 and one 32) shows that they aren't all trainee professionals.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Many top amateurs have always been semi pro.
In the 1960's Ronnie Shade generally cashed in his vouchers for golf balls which he 'gave' to his local pro [his dad]
Many top amateurs were given jobs in areas like banking, car sales, golf industry reps etc. and were given loads of time to play and practice.
Many were sponsored by rich club members.
It has been a sham even as long ago as the 1920's

About time golf became honest and declared itself open....just like tennis.
If you want a very simple take on it. The taxman sees no difference between someone receiving/winning M&S vouchers and/or cash

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Keep it GB&I unless the US say they want a closer match. The current format gives ten mostly young GB&I amateurs the chance to compete against the very best of their opposite numbers from across the pond. Include rest of Europe and that number would plummet.

peld

Visit site
I think it's time to change the competition to a European team rather than GB & I. I don't think it's competitive in it's current form and will only get less competitive going forward.
Its different organising entities than the Ryder Cup. Walker Cup is USGA vs R&A.
I think despite the lopsidedness in results, the R&A have wanted to keep it to the GB&I so their players get more opportunity to play

peld

Visit site
BTW for everyone, i suggest you watch the NLU Office Hours about the Walker Cup (its a brilliant feature tbf)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I photographed it on Saturday morning and all day Sunday - some superb golf from both sides - and having massive crowds walking down the fairways following the groups was brilliant. The crowd for the two Scottish lads match on Sunday morning was enormous. Lots of American spectators too.

03-09-2023_Walker Cup day two_3646.JPG