vokey wedges users hep me

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you hit a ball properly you will get spin, but don't get hung up on generating so much you get the ball coming back. Backspin is very difficult to control and usually does more damage than it does good.

Agree with you there, I generally only get spin when I'm short of the hole

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you hit a ball properly you will get spin, but don't get hung up on generating so much you get the ball coming back. Backspin is very difficult to control and usually does more damage than it does good.

Agree with this 100%.

I generally get the ball to take a bounce or two then stop and that's enough for me on full or 3/4 shots. Green side I do tend to get a little more spin which I find handy for controlling distance on long chips and/or short pitches.

Either way, correct strike and a ball that encourages spin will always help :thup:

Pippo_T

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Out of all the elements I have found that the ball will determine how much spin you have around the greens, particularly on a half wedge shot. The difference between something like a Z-Star or Pro V1 and a Soft Feel or Velocity is very noticeable. On a firm green in summer on a 50-90yd shot I would see a Z-Star bounce once and then settle about 3-4ft from initial landing spot, the low spin balls would run out for a good 5 yards or so more.

However I don't entirely agree with everyone saying that Vokey vs G20/G25 won't have an impact on the spin imparted on the ball. GI Irons are designed for a combination of high launch and lower spin, to assist on poor quality strikes. I played with a friend's clubs in Portugal a few weeks back, which were Diablo Edge irons with a PW and SW and no other wedges and struggled. Every shot of a pitch distance took off a little bit hot and didn't spin as I would normally expect, with the same swing my own wedges would grab the ball a little and definitely spin more.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bit off topic but why is everyone obsessed with spin. (Reminds me of when I used to play snooker and everybody was obsessed with making the cue ball spin back in that game too). My 56* wedge is 11 years old, and as it is my main weapon from the sand it hardly has any grooves left. From the fairway it still gives ample spin with a proper strike.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
post-133086-0-35398000-1381867688.png

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
A bit off topic but why is everyone obsessed with spin. (Reminds me of when I used to play snooker and everybody was obsessed with making the cue ball spin back in that game too). My 56* wedge is 11 years old, and as it is my main weapon from the sand it hardly has any grooves left. From the fairway it still gives ample spin with a proper strike.

Why is everyone obsessed with spin.......are we. You said yourself you get ample spin. :rolleyes:

beau d.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok guys i acquired a set of vokey sm4 wedges off a friend today 8 months old, 46,50,56 degree. I have never played with vokey are they for low handicap players or can i use them off 17. will they help create more spin than g20 wedge which seem to launch? should i hit down on them more to create spin

Okay here's my threepeneth worth....
Firstly the 46 deg wedge is a mistake. I always keep the pitching wedge which comes with the Iron set, that way yardages are more easy to achieve (the gap between 9 and PW will be constant, like the 8 to 9 etc, change the brand and it will very likely be different hence the PW would be another club you had to learn to feel distance with). I see my Vokey wedges as scoring clubs that I can try and feel the shot with e.g being able to hit my GW from say 100 down to even 60 yds by altering the length of swing. You have a 56 deg SW the same as myself which I find a little easier to hit and to feel the distance from bunkers than a std 54 deg SW. But you do not mention what bounce either of these wedges have which is most important e.g if you play a hard course with a lot of tight lies you will need less bounce on your GW and LW, than a soft course with "fluffy" lies, also what type of shot you find easier to play is also a factor in getting the right bounce on your wedges and so on. A great addition to your set would be a 60 deg LW for playing high flop shots over a short distance, but once again choose the right bounce.
If you are only thinking of giving these clubs a couple of weeks, flog them now. These type of scoring clubs will take longer than any club in the bag to get used to simply because of the variety and distances of the shots played with them. I took ages to get used to my SM4's and I was changing from previous Vokeys which I had years, but I wouldn't choose any other wedge set now....

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i have been out today and played a round with these wedges and i must say what a set of wedges, i hit some super shoots with them and totally love them, high and great feel, almost had x2 eagles on par 4 holes. Love them guys cant wait to hit them again

D

Deleted member 15344

i have been out today and played a round with these wedges and i must say what a set of wedges, i hit some super shoots with them and totally love them, high and great feel, almost had x2 eagles on par 4 holes. Love them guys cant wait to hit them again

"Super" and "Totally Love" !! Rather - wot not - pinkie out when drinking ;)

TheDashingBlade

Club Champion
Visit site

Glad they did the business for you.

After years of using a heavy chompers wedge I really struggle with the Vokey/Cleveland/Callaway wedges.

Ultimately though it's s game of how many, not how

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'll give it 2 weeks before they're on here for sale...