Vegan groups being “militant”

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
One thing I’ve never understood is vegetarians who eat bacon flavoured crisps etc

I think your missing the point. You don't have to kill anything to get a packet of smokey bacon crisps, so what do you think the problem is ?

At present scientists are in the early stages of growing meat, and in years to come this will probably be the norm. If this is the case, most vegetarians would most likely eat it.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think your missing the point. You don't have to kill anything to get a packet of smokey bacon crisps, so what do you think the problem is ?

At present scientists are in the early stages of growing meat, and in years to come this will probably be the norm. If this is the case, most vegetarians would most likely eat it.

Partial to sweeping generalisations as well as vegetables I see.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a veggie, and think you will find all veggies are the same. I won't eat anything cooked in animal fat, or cooked with meat. I also won't eat any thing cooked on a BBQ that is cooking meat. This is pretty much the norm. As a matter of interest, vegetarianism and veganism is growing quite rapidly, and 12% of the population are one or the other. Of course, there is a real south north divide on this. Where I live they think I am really weird, but perhaps I am ?

I wonder just how many are claiming to be a vegan or a veggie just because it's deemed fashionable right now.
I also wonder how many of the claimants adhere to the rules!

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
I wonder just how many are claiming to be a vegan or a veggie just because it's deemed fashionable right now.
I also wonder how many of the claimants adhere to the rules!

The fashion aspect certainly comes into it, and my guess is that the figure will drop rather than rise in the next few years, but who knows. If nothing else it is a cheaper diet. To be fair, I really don't think many people break the rules, as it would then make the entire practice pointless. That said, I am sure there will be a few :(

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
I wonder why vegetarians aren't vegans?

Like everything in life we take things as far as we want to take them. I can only answer for myself. I am a self confessed hypocrite, as I am vegan by belief, but a practising vegetarian. As crazy as you may think this is, I don't like many vegetables, so to cut out all animal products would ultimately mean I would die. That said, I don't eat eggs or cheese, but to be honest I detest both of them anyway. I do however eat butter and drink milk.

Of course, there are also pescatarians, and these people eat fish but not meat. I don't really get this, but like I said, we all take things as far as we want. For example, there are 9 places in the world where human beings will eat the flesh of other human beings, there are people who will eat dogs and horses, and people who won't. I think it's all very much down to our own conscious !

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Like everything in life we take things as far as we want to take them. I can only answer for myself. I am a self confessed hypocrite, as I am vegan by belief, but a practising vegetarian. As crazy as you may think this is, I don't like many vegetables, so to cut out all animal products would ultimately mean I would die. That said, I don't eat eggs or cheese, but to be honest I detest both of them anyway. I do however eat butter and drink milk.

Of course, there are also pescatarians, and these people eat fish but not meat. I don't really get this, but like I said, we all take things as far as we want. For example, there are 9 places in the world where human beings will eat the flesh of other human beings, there are people who will eat dogs and horses, and people who won't. I think it's all very much down to our own conscious !

What?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It seems the activists don't mind wearing (what appears to be) leather shoes.

One of the first complaints I heard about was in the construction industry where they complained that all the issues safety footwear was leather whereas they wanted vegan approved alternatives - steel toe capped cardboard?

Mrs Wiggles

Visit site
One of the first complaints I heard about was in the construction industry where they complained that all the issues safety footwear was leather whereas they wanted vegan approved alternatives - steel toe capped cardboard?

It's the society we live in. Police Seiks, McDonalds and their Halal meat, and teachers using chalk boards. I suppose it's no different

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
LOL, since when cant a vegan have a pet?

They regard it as enslaving an animal for ones' own personal enjoyment!
I also read that horse riding falls under the same category and a proper vegan should merely walk alongside the horse, rather than on it, even if the saddle is not a leather one.
Lewis Hamilton rents his pet dog to model agencies for several hundred dollars a day and he's just been voted Vegan Man of the Year .................... go figure!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yep, checked it before I made the post. Link below
http://boredomtherapy.com/modern-cannibals/

That link merely shows how tenuous your original claim is.
I'm sure that someone in this country has, at some point in history, eaten human flesh ......................... that makes 10 places.
Wasn't there a plane crash in mountains in South America in which survivors had to eat the flesh of the dead? .................... that's 11.
In fact I'd bet that human flesh has been eaten, by humans at some point in time, in most countries of the world.

TheDork

Visit site
They regard it as enslaving an animal for ones' own personal enjoyment!
I also read that horse riding falls under the same category and a proper vegan should merely walk alongside the horse, rather than on it, even if the saddle is not a leather one.
Lewis Hamilton rents his pet dog to model agencies for several hundred dollars a day and he's just been voted Vegan Man of the Year .................... go figure!

These sound on the more extreme side of vegans, my ex has 3 cats, I don't think she sees them as enslaving them for her personal enjoyment.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I read the article on Hamilton going vegan to 'save the planet'.

Kinda ironic given how much fossil fuel he burns through his job and all the private plane journeys he makes :cautious:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
LOL, since when cant a vegan have a pet?

Tbf if someone owns a pet, they’re choosing the pets need for meat over said foods right to live aren’t they?

Cats for example are natural hunters. Plenty of feral ones survive without our help. But if a vegan owns a pet then the vegan has decided they’d rather have the pleasure of a pet than worry about where their meat comes from.