VAR

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Willian's is a penalty - no doubt. The defender is nowhere near the ball and Willian has to evade the tackle. No contact needs to be made for a foul.

I'm 50/50 on the Morata one - the defender is stupid to do what he does but I think Morata could be stronger? Is Morata being impeded though? Yes, he is, even if only fractionally.

Pedro though - his own shame on his face told the story. God that was awful.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen the Morata one....
Dear God, that's farcical...I'd be embarrassed to show my face after that..
He should get an extended ban for such blatant cheating and a better fine from the club.....neither of which will happen.
So much in football is a disgrace these days...
The amount of money thrown around, the cheating..it's not a game I tend to enjoy watching any more

The thing that really annoyed me about that was the commentator saying he had a right to go down. No he didn't, no one has a right to go down. Either you are brought down or you stay on your feet. Anything else is plain cheating.
I thought the ref handled it well, especially when he pulled the red.

D

Deleted member 16999

Errr what?? :confused::rofl:
First you said “a yard OR more” then over a yard, which is it? An exact yard or a yard plus 1 inch or yard plus 6 inch’s etc. :confused:

Try and remember “within playing distance” and not everyone is built the same :thup:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First you said “a yard OR more” then over a yard, which is it? An exact yard or a yard plus 1 inch or yard plus 6 inch’s etc. :confused:

Try and remember “within playing distance” and not everyone is built the same :thup:
That is pedantic in the extreme pal. Most people will consider 'a yard or more' and 'over a yard' to be much the same thing. I didn't realise we were measuring to the exact inch. :D

D

Deleted member 16999

That is pedantic in the extreme pal. Most people will consider 'a yard or more' and 'over a yard' to be much the same thing. I didn't realise we were measuring to the exact inch. :D
What’s pedantic is you not accepting the laws of the game and then trying to justify you not knowing the law in the first place :thup:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What’s pedantic is you not accepting the laws of the game and then trying to justify you not knowing the law in the first place :thup:
Countless times they 'shield' the ball out of play when miles away from it and it would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch. If you've never seen it happen I can only suppose you don't watch football.

D

Deleted member 16999

Countless times they 'shield' the ball out of play when miles away from it and it would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch. If you've never seen it happen I can only suppose you don't watch football.
Quality :rofl: You introduce a distance because you don’t actually know what your talking about, others, including me, come on to explain the laws of the game to you and instead of accepting and understanding them (no matter how frustrating) like khamelion did, you get insulting. I’m out, there’s no helping some people.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quality :rofl: You introduce a distance because you don’t actually know what your talking about, others, including me, come on to explain the laws of the game to you and instead of accepting and understanding them (no matter how frustrating) like khamelion did, you get insulting. I’m out, there’s no helping some people.

You're getting mighty upset about this aren't you? You told me the defined law, and I tell you I've seen multiple occasions where defenders break that law and get away with it. You can't tell me what I have and haven't seen. Are you saying you have never ever seen defenders break this law by illegally holding off a player when the ball is going out of play? Mental.

D

Deleted member 18121

I dont know how many times it has to be said, but here we go again....... football is a contact sport. Not all contact is a free kick or penalty. In my opinion Willian was looking to go down and it was 100% right to book him for diving.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

To be fair, I've seen defenders shepherd the ball out when it's within yard or so of the feet and that's no problem. Obviously in control of the ball
But equally I've seen it done when the ball's well out of reach, making the " in control of the ball" a bit tenuous and you never see a foul given..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont know how many times it has to be said, but here we go again....... football is a contact sport. Not all contact is a free kick or penalty. In my opinion Willian was looking to go down and it was 100% right to book him for diving.
:rofl:
There is legal and illegal contact. "Not all contact is a foul" - you're right - but legal contact includes shoulder to shoulder, or winning the ball and making contact on your follow through. Tripping over a player without winning the ball is a foul. (That should be obvious really.)

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
Whether or not you think he dived or was caught, even this thread can't decide, the ref reacted too quickly by booking Willian straight away. This left VAR in a no win situation because if they decided it was a penalty can you unbook a player?? and I'm not sure other officials have the stomach to go against the on field decision. As for the Morata one, if he's outside the area he gets a foul.

D

Deleted member 18121

:rofl:
There is legal and illegal contact. "Not all contact is a foul" - you're right - but legal contact includes shoulder to shoulder, or winning the ball and making contact on your follow through. Tripping over a player without winning the ball is a foul. (That should be obvious really.)

I think this is the essence of the problem, every situation is subjective and unfortunately dependent on the team and people involved a certain about of bias always come into it (ie Howard Webb making a decision on the Lukaku assault of the Watford player).

Still, in my opinion I'm glad Willian was booked. It was a dive.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think this is the essence of the problem, every situation is subjective and unfortunately dependent on the team and people involved a certain about of bias always come into it (ie Howard Webb making a decision on the Lukaku assault of the Watford player).

Still, in my opinion I'm glad Willian was booked. It was a dive.
No it wasn't!! How can you not see the Norwich player lunge in and trip him?? It's an awful challenge and a penalty all day long! You must be saying that just because you don't like Willian??

D

Deleted member 16999

Agree 100% on the first one - I actually said that to someone in the office earlier! Obstruction is always gotten away with when the ball's going out, it's mad.

To be fair, I've seen defenders shepherd the ball out when it's within yard or so of the feet and that's no problem. Obviously in control of the ball
But equally I've seen it done when the ball's well out of reach, making the " in control of the ball" a bit tenuous and you never see a foul given..
Above is his first reply, as you can see he was completely wrong as he didn’t know the rule, nobody is saying referee’s get every decision right, simply trying to educate him on his lack of understanding so if he see’s a defender doing it next time he watches a match he won’t automatically ask for an indirect free kick for obstruction.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Above is his first reply, as you can see he was completely wrong as he didn’t know the rule, nobody is saying referee’s get every decision right, simply trying to educate him on his lack of understanding so if he see’s a defender doing it next time he watches a match he won’t automatically ask for an indirect free kick for obstruction.
I know what the bloody rule is you Mod Edit . I said they break it and get away with it often. It's not difficult to understand. Jog on.

Last edited by a moderator: