VAR

D

Deleted member 16999

Well, having thought, in real time, that Willan did get touched by the defender but the ref deemed it a dive (that wasn't overruled as a 'clear mistake' by VAR), I see daylight between the 2 platers legs throughout the entire incident! I'd request you show the actual 'time' of contact, but the clock isn't fine enough to actually identify the point of contact!

Ah! That changes things a bit (lot)! Got a reference to a Rule/ruling? (I'm too lazy to hunt atm!).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42727331

Much better video showing contact.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no doubt that VAR will earn it's place in the game, but if no firm common ground can be found here after 24hrs with umpteen people looking at it time after time, how the heck would VAR make any difference in the seconds the VAR operative has to make a call?

What we have proved is that footballers cheating has got to stop, and if a few innocents are punished in mistake so be it. Until they all stop diving and feinging injury there will be a need to investigate some events, but sadly I doubt that day will ever pass. Making excuses for them wont change things though, whether they are right or wrong.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s fantastic, just going to take time for it to be used properly.

Great for all sports to have this somehow, even just for the odd call here and there.

IMO it should be only used for game changing moments and the benefit of the doubt always goes to the attacking team.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Willian one is a penno all day long for me. Morata not so, but if I was in row 2 would have been appealing as I did for the Lallana one against the blues. Pedro :eek:.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because the defender doesn’t have to move, he’s in control of the ball, it’s upto the attacker to go round him, not through him
The ones I’ve seen the ref has blown for a foul for the forward even though the defender has just stood his ground..
Think you misunderstood my post not talking about defender shielding the ball.

D

Deleted member 16999

The ones I’ve seen the ref has blown for a foul for the forward even though the defender has just stood his ground..
Think you misunderstood my post not talking about defender shielding the ball.
If the ref determines the ball is no longer under control and within playing distance for the defender then it’s obstruction.
That’s all I can think of.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, having thought, in real time, that Willan did get touched by the defender but the ref deemed it a dive (that wasn't overruled as a 'clear mistake' by VAR), I see daylight between the 2 platers legs throughout the entire incident! I'd request you show the actual 'time' of contact, but the clock isn't fine enough to actually identify the point of contact!
Eh? Just watch his left foot the whole time and you can plainly see when the contact happens.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right I've watched this a million times now. I will concede there is contact BUT, I would say there is contact as Willam moves forward to hurdle the outstretched leg ie Willan fell over the leg that was there....the clumsy so and so. LOL !!!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
If there's no contact is it obstruction and an indirect freekick rather than a direct freekick/penalty?

I thought it was a pen in fairness, stupid lunge by the defender and to me Will-I-An tried his best to get over the leg. I think previous dives by other players have tainted the refs decision making, like he expects them to dive all the time these days.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought it was a pen in fairness, stupid lunge by the defender and to me Will-I-An tried his best to get over the leg. I think previous dives by other players have tainted the refs decision making, like he expects them to dive all the time these days.

I agree. When the ref blew the whistle I immediately said penalty. Can only assume that the ref and VAR ref thought that Willian was already on his way down and that was why it wasn't given.