VAR

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of us don’t think he was tripped.

for me, he hurdles the tackle and leaves he leg trailing. He plays to be caught.

He isn’t clattered and giving no choice. He could have avoided contact and had an effort and then complained and let the ref decide if he was impeded, which imo is exactly what var should be used for.
I really don't think he could have avoided it as easily as you say. It looked to me like he did try and hurdle the leg as he was trying to score, and he was just caught. Remember it's easy to say what you're saying when watching the slow motion replay, but Willian is a pacey player, and in reality that is all happening very quickly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's not how VAR works in football. Explainer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42604127
Yeah, someone else explained it earlier. So in actual fact it was more the fault of the guy who was watching the VAR.

If I were a Chelsea supporter , like you, I would be more worried how it took 180 mins, ET and penalties to beat Norwich. That is what you should be worrying about.:)
Good guess but I'm actually a Spurs fan. I hate Chelsea with a blind passion so would have no reason to defend Willian, other than the fact he was obviously tripped for a blatant penalty.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The problem a lot of refs have is that many of these players have "form"
Willian's been booked a couple of times for diving as have many, many others.
Next time they go to ground, whether we like it or not, whether it's right or not, the ref is going to be influenced by the player's "previous".
Someone getting a reputation as a diver isn't helping himself when you get a situation like Willian's

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I really don't think he could have avoided it as easily as you say. It looked to me like he did try and hurdle the leg as he was trying to score, and he was just caught. Remember it's easy to say what you're saying when watching the slow motion replay, but Willian is a pacey player, and in reality that is all happening very quickly.

What a hurdler run 110 and see how long their leg pauses as it goes over the hurdle. Then watch the noticeable pause where Willian’s doesn’t follow.

Ot was still a pen imo, it’s just that hopefully in time they won’t need to be won in such ways.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
So many people still don’t get it.

If a defender leaves a leg in that needs to be hurdled IT IS A FOUL. No contact needs to be made.

Even if Willian successful jumps over the leg, it’s STILL a foul.

God.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

If a defender leaves a leg in that needs to be hurdled IT IS A FOUL. No contact needs to be made.

God.

That’s exactky what I’ve said, it’s a foul BUT it should be for the ref to decide (or var). Willian should play on and then appeal.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

Still say that Willian played for the penalty, he anticipated the tackle, left his left leg behind and went down to get a penalty, had he brought his left leg over and made an attempt to stay on his feet, then there was every chance he may got a penalty, in hat he would have been looking to play honestly rather than cheating.

The replay at real time doesn’t support your theory - he caught his left leg , it wasn’t “left behind” and he didn’t drag it into the defenders leg , he stumbled after the contact then when down

D

Deleted member 16999

Willian tried to buy a penalty and got caught out. It's very easy for the Norwich player to be magnanimous and gracious in defeat he has nothing to lose, Chelsea won and he takes the moral high ground. I very much doubt it would be the same story had Norwich won. Very fickle are footballers.
Last time ;) Why is Willian trying to buy a penalty when through on goal?

D

Deleted member 16999

Seen a few this season where the attacker has just ran into a defender who has not moved his position.
The ref always gives a foul can’t understand this if you are standing still
Because the defender doesn’t have to move, he’s in control of the ball, it’s upto the attacker to go round him, not through him

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought it looked a penalty in real time. The replays didn't do anything to change that view and it was badly handled by the ref who had a shocker from start to finish

Really Homer, a shocker from start to finish?

He got the Pedro dive correct, and his second yellow card and also in my opinion got the Morata decision right. I especially liked the second yellow card and subsequent red that he gave Morata for whatever it was Morata said to him. I wish more refs would have the balls to to just start booking players when they do that sort of thing.

The only really contentious decision was the Willian one and opinion on here seems pretty much split 50/50 between those that thought it was a penalty and those that thought Willian bought himself the foul, initiated the contact or was already on the way down when he hit the defender's leg. Seems a bit harsh to claim he had a shocker from start to finish when it was only really that one decision that some are questioning.

What else, apart from the Willian one, did he get wrong in your opinion?

D

Deleted member 16999

He got the Pedro dive correct, and his second yellow card and also in my opinion got the Morata decision right. I especially liked the second yellow card and subsequent red that he gave Morata for whatever it was Morata said to him. I wish more refs would have the balls to to just start booking players when they do that sort of thing.

The only really contentious decision was the Willian one and opinion on here seems pretty much split 50/50 between those that thought it was a penalty and those that thought Willian bought himself the foul, initiated the contact or was already on the way down when he hit the defender's leg. Seems a bit harsh to claim he had a shocker from start to finish when it was only really that one decision that some are questioning.

Agreed :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Summed up well

The ref for me was let down by the incompetent idiot in front of the replay screen

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Here you go, this shows the foul plain as day.
[FONT=&]https://twitter.com/By433/status/953749396289617920[/FONT]

Keep your eye on Willian's left foot the whole time and you can see the contact.

Well, having thought, in real time, that Willan did get touched by the defender but the ref deemed it a dive (that wasn't overruled as a 'clear mistake' by VAR), I see daylight between the 2 platers legs throughout the entire incident! I'd request you show the actual 'time' of contact, but the clock isn't fine enough to actually identify the point of contact!

God.

Ah! That changes things a bit (lot)! Got a reference to a Rule/ruling? (I'm too lazy to hunt atm!).

Last edited:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last time ;) Why is Willian trying to buy a penalty when through on goal?

Because footballers are stupid, their mentality is a penalty is sure goal, guaranteed one on one and a goal lets say 75% - 85% of the time. If he tries to stay on his feet and score in normal play, there is a high probability he'll miss or the shot will be saved.

D

Deleted member 16999

Because footballers are stupid, their mentality is a penalty is sure goal, guaranteed one on one and a goal lets say 75% - 85% of the time. If he tries to stay on his feet and score in normal play, there is a high probability he'll miss or the shot will be saved.
:rofl: I’ll agree to disagree :thup: