VAR

D

Deleted member 18121

No it wasn't!! How can you not see the Norwich player lunge in and trip him?? It's an awful challenge and a penalty all day long! You must be saying that just because you don't like Willian??

He didn't lunge, it wasn't an "awful" challenge and wasn't a penalty in my opinion. I have nothing against Willian, in fact I wish we'd signed him.

You're allowed a different opinion you know, chill man.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He didn't lunge, it wasn't an "awful" challenge and wasn't a penalty in my opinion. I have nothing against Willian, in fact I wish we'd signed him.

You're allowed a different opinion you know, chill man.
Haha, of course we can have different opinions, it's just I thought it was such a stonewall pen that someone saying it wasn't is like telling me white is black! Ah football eh? :D

D

Deleted member 18121

Haha, of course we can have different opinions, it's just I thought it was such a stonewall pen that someone saying it wasn't is like telling me white is black! Ah football eh? :D

This is partly the reason I think VAR COULD be a bad thing.....part of the excitement and drama of football is the bad decisions and "luck" that goes for and against you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is partly the reason I think VAR COULD be a bad thing.....part of the excitement and drama of football is the bad decisions and "luck" that goes for and against you.
I suppose so. But we've all seen many video replays and still don't agree. So I think you would still have the same level of debate whether it was used or not.

Personally I believe it should only be used for goal defining situations, otherwise you get bogged down in it and it will kill the game. So use it for:
- borderline potential offsides where a goal has been scored, can be ruled out if simply if it turns out he was offside.
- potential red card / penalty challenges as these totally change the game in one team's favour. Reviewing these will also show if a dive has occurred.
- potential handballs that have prevented a shot going in the net.

Other than that it can be left to the referee's discretion.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well this thread escalated quickly! What it shows is though:

1. Pedro one, we are all in agreement. Ref gets it right then. VAR not needed and/or confirms the decision.
2. Willian one is splitting opinion. VAR says no obvious clear mistake (remembering that this thread can't even agree!), thus left down to on-field ref's decision.
3. Morata one, again splitting opinion. As above.

For me then, the ref is 100% spot on and so is the VAR.

And some contributors need to get out and watch a bit more live football and brush up on their law knowledge... :p ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

The Willian incident for me is a clear penalty , clearly caught him and it was that touch that took him down - and it appears the red panel agrees that it should have been a penalty. Mike Jones is the worst ref I have ever seen and it just shows his incompetence that he saw that and said there was no error in the booking for the dive and no penalty

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well this thread escalated quickly! What it shows is though:

1. Pedro one, we are all in agreement. Ref gets it right then. VAR not needed and/or confirms the decision.
2. Willian one is splitting opinion. VAR says no obvious clear mistake (remembering that this thread can't even agree!), thus left down to on-field ref's decision.
3. Morata one, again splitting opinion. As above.

For me then, the ref is 100% spot on and so is the VAR.

And some contributors need to get out and watch a bit more live football and brush up on their law knowledge... :p ;)
I thought the issue was that the ref didn't even use the VAR. He just booked Willian and Morata immediately without calling upon it. When it would have showed him to be incorrect on the Willian one, since that was a clear penalty. The Morata one was very debateable though, sure, VAR probably wouldn't have even cleared that up 100%.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Willian incident for me is a clear penalty , clearly caught him and it was that touch that took him down - and it appears the red panel agrees that it should have been a penalty. Mike Jones is the worst ref I have ever seen and it just shows his incompetence that he saw that and said there was no error in the booking for the dive and no penalty

Still say that Willian played for the penalty, he anticipated the tackle, left his left leg behind and went down to get a penalty, had he brought his left leg over and made an attempt to stay on his feet, then there was every chance he may got a penalty, in hat he would have been looking to play honestly rather than cheating.

D

Deleted member 16999

Still say that Willian played for the penalty, he anticipated the tackle, left his left leg behind and went down to get a penalty, had he brought his left leg over and made an attempt to stay on his feet, then there was every chance he may got a penalty, in hat he would have been looking to play honestly rather than cheating.
Why though, he would of been 10yds from the centre of the goal with keeper to beat?

If it had been down the side or on the edge of the box with 3-4 defenders between him and the goal I’d agree.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To call that cheating is ridiculous. He's running into the box, beats the defender who leaves his leg hanging out across the front of him, and he would have to have done bloody well to avoid it by leapfrogging over him in that situation. It's the defender's fault for making a poorly timed challenge, and it was a penalty, whether Willian 'played for it' or 'anticipated' it or what.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought the issue was that the ref didn't even use the VAR. He just booked Willian and Morata immediately without calling upon it. When it would have showed him to be incorrect on the Willian one, since that was a clear penalty. The Morata one was very debateable though, sure, VAR probably wouldn't have even cleared that up 100%.

The ref doesn't have to use VAR. It is continuously monitored by the ref in the studio and he can inform the ref if he thinks he's made a mistake. The ref in the studio can contact the ref and the on field ref then has the option to either change his decision or go and view a replay on a pitch side monitor and then either stick to his original decision or change it. The ref in the studio didn't think that in the case of the Willian incident the on field ref had made a clear and obvious error so there was no need to inform him or change the decision.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Imo in today’s game, it was a penalty. As he “won” it.

but I agree with those that say he left his leg in. If VAR is to be used, they’re the type that should vanish. Hopefully in time players wou9d feel less need to convince a ref to give one as they know that Var will award one.

to start with, id like to see any penalty that’s “won” in such a manner end up with a player booked for diving as well as one giving. May calm the current issue of theatrics somewhat.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly don't know what some of you expect of these players. Willian is running into the box, gets tripped over and you think he should have gone out of his way to leapfrog over it?? Nobody is ever going to do that. Next you'll be saying if the referee incorrectly gives a corner they should hold their hands up and admit it was a goal kick or else they are cheating.

Slate Morata all you want, because although there was a slight foul he did go to ground easily. But Willian beats the defender and was tripped, I really don't see how, or more importantly why, he would go out of his way to avoid it??

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I honestly don't know what some of you expect of these players. Willian is running into the box, gets tripped over and you think he should have gone out of his way to leapfrog over it?? Nobody is ever going to do that. Next you'll be saying if the referee incorrectly gives a corner they should hold their hands up and admit it was a goal kick or else they are cheating.

Slate Morata all you want, because although there was a slight foul he did go to ground easily. But Willian beats the defender and was tripped, I really don't see how, or more importantly why, he would go out of his way to avoid it??

I think a lot of us don’t think he was tripped.

for me, he hurdles the tackle and leaves he leg trailing. He plays to be caught.

He isn’t clattered and giving no choice. He could have avoided contact and had an effort and then complained and let the ref decide if he was impeded, which imo is exactly what var should be used for.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

That's not how VAR works in football. Explainer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42604127

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If I were a Chelsea supporter , like you, I would be more worried how it took 180 mins, ET and penalties to beat Norwich. That is what you should be worrying about.:)