VAR

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thoughts so far? I'm a massive fan. Should have been introduced years ago. Hell, England would have beaten Germany, Portugal. But last night, I've only watched this once this morning, the VAR was brought in to decide on a penalty at Chelsea.
It was NEVER a penalty in my eyes. The Norwich player never touched him. VAR fully vindicated. These cheating foreign players
are finally gonna get their comeuppance. Brilliant!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
They didn't use VAR in the incident you're taking about. The player was touched and many people are saying it was a penalty.

You are a crazyface.

D

Deleted member 15344

It was a clear penalty and not a dive

The fault in the system was clear last night - Mike Jones the worst referee in premiership history was watching it , Willian was clearly caught and went down because of that touch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42727331

VAR is supposed to stop that stuff happening it’s failed - just like it has in the other countries that have used it , there have been big issue with every country that has implemented

Morata last night highlighted my big worry with him running up to the ref demanding that VAR be used and he will be the first of many

My stance on VAR was softening - think the incidents so far and time taken etc are showing that it’s not good for football

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some people thought it was a clear penalty, other's thought that Willian had already started to go down and the contact was as he was already falling - which I think is what the ref thought as well. VAR is never going to be able to resolve every decision when they are opinion based. Decisions based on fact such as was it offside are quite easy to resolve. Others such as handball, a foul or red/yellow card are still going to lead to debates such as last night because the person making the decision might hold a different opinion to others.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was a clear penalty and not a dive

The fault in the system was clear last night - Mike Jones the worst referee in premiership history was watching it , Willian was clearly caught and went down because of that touch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42727331

VAR is supposed to stop that stuff happening it’s failed - just like it has in the other countries that have used it , there have been big issue with every country that has implemented

Morata last night highlighted my big worry with him running up to the ref demanding that VAR be used and he will be the first of many

My stance on VAR was softening - think the incidents so far and time taken etc are showing that it’s not good for football

I disagree. I think the Willian one, IMHO, wasn't clear cut as I think he looked for it a bit. For me, it was ref's decision/opinion and VAR backed it up by saying there wasn't a CLEAR and OBVIOUS mistake. The other two, Pedro and Morata, they got what they deserved. I think the ref was spot on. All we hear now is Conte bleating because his side didn't get what they wanted. I think the Naaarwich manager would say the opposite.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well it was far from a clear penalty because the wrong decision was made.

VAR never failed,it just wasn't used right at the appropriate time.

Its obviously going to have teething problems but in the long run i'm sure it will work.

The Leicester goal the other night showed it works perfectly,last nights decision did not.

As saying VAR is not good for football,well there are a hundred more things worse for football.

I remember goal line technology being questioned,but that has worked perfectly since coming in.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd be interested in if this VAR scenario has taken place or what the process is, if it did. One team, say Arsenal on the attack and the soon-to-be-gone Sanchez is hacked down in the area for a nailed on pen, but the ref doesn't give it. Spurs clear the ball up field and Kane latches on to it and scores a legitimate goal before the VAR has time to tell the on field ref you've made a wrong-un. Do Arsenal have to suck it up or does the ref cancel Spurs's goal and give a pen to Arsenal?

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well it was far from a clear penalty because the wrong decision was made.

VAR never failed,it just wasn't used right at the appropriate time.

Its obviously going to have teething problems but in the long run i'm sure it will work.

The Leicester goal the other night showed it works perfectly,last nights decision did not.

As saying VAR is not good for football,well there are a hundred more things worse for football.

I remember goal line technology being questioned,but that has worked perfectly since coming in.

Why do you say it didn't work? VAR said of that incident that no clear and obvious mistake was made so decision stays with the on field ref? Have I missed something?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you say it didn't work? VAR said of that incident that no clear and obvious mistake was made so decision stays with the on field ref? Have I missed something?

All about opinions mate i thought it was a pen.

As i understood it the ref never gave the pen,the VAR ref looked at it and decided it was not a pen,however all the experts in the studio said it was a pen and in their words
"how can he get that wrong".

Maybe not a clear and obvious mistake but imo a mistake non the less.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I couldn't see that willan was touched at all. He pushed the ball past the defender and then jumped over the defenders leg, realised he couldn't get to the ball, dived.
How can people not see this?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only saw the two incidents this morning but they were both penalties. On Willian, his leg was clipped which is a foul. On Morata, the guy has his hand holding down Morata's shoulder which is also a foul. For them both to get booked for diving is harsh, and if they'd have used VAR on the incidents then it wouldn't have happened. He may not have given them as pens (the hand on the shoulder would have been quite soft), but he certainly wouldn't have booked either of them for diving.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I couldn't see that willan was touched at all. He pushed the ball past the defender and then jumped over the defenders leg, realised he couldn't get to the ball, dived.
How can people not see this?
Watch it again, you can clearly see that as he tries to hurdle the defender's leg, his left foot catches the Norwich defender's leg which sends him over. Awful tackle from the lad anyway since he lunges across and doesn't get the ball. It's a clear penalty that one.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only saw the two incidents this morning but they were both penalties. On Willian, his leg was clipped which is a foul. On Morata, the guy has his hand holding down Morata's shoulder which is also a foul. For them both to get booked for diving is harsh, and if they'd have used VAR on the incidents then it wouldn't have happened. He may not have given them as pens (the hand on the shoulder would have been quite soft), but he certainly wouldn't have booked either of them for diving.

But Morata did dive. Regardless or not of whether it should have been a penalty - even if a soft one - Morata dived. Someone putting their hand on your shoulder doesn't cause your legs to go out backwards and for you to fall full length forwards.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But Morata did dive. Regardless or not of whether it should have been a penalty - even if a soft one - Morata dived. Someone putting their hand on your shoulder doesn't cause your legs to go out backwards and for you to fall full length forwards.
I don't consider it a dive if you are being fouled at the time. I believe you're entitled to go down if you're being fouled. A dive is when there's zero contact and you try and make it look as if there was.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't consider it a dive if you are being fouled at the time. I believe you're entitled to go down if you're being fouled. A dive is when there's zero contact and you try and make it look as if there was.

In midfield or outside the box it’s a soft foul probably as he didn’t really appear to be pulling him back, Morata tried to construct a pen from it though which essentially is cheating.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Works in Rugby (both codes) works in cricket and plenty of other sports....

Lots of ancillary waffle in Football. Why? Football is a sport where cheating and overreaction is seen as ok by many. Listen to Jason Cundy on his radio show every night.. "part of the game" he calls it. In rugby the ref is mic'd up so you know what is going on - can't do that in footy cos the language used to the ref is too blue!! Therein lies the problem

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Therein lies the problem. No one is entitled to do anything, you fall or are knocked down when you physically can’t stop the fall, not when you “think you’re entitled “ to a penalty.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In midfield or outside the box it’s a soft foul probably as he didn’t really appear to be pulling him back, Morata tried to construct a pen from it though which essentially is cheating.
A foul is a foul - you can't put your hand on someone's shoulder in that way. He's obviously doing that to drag him back. I'm not saying it was a penalty because the ref could have had the view that it wasn't done with enough force to drag him down. But I think it's harsh to book him for diving when he's being fouled at the time. Perhaps the right decision would have just been to give the goal kick, with no booking.