Using non conforming clubs...

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem is who polices this week in week out? What's to stop a PP rocking up on the first tee in a medal with a set on the non-conforming list? Does someone stand there with a definitive list and check bags. I get the "if you break one rule, which others do you choose to break" argument but it comes down to self-policing and I'm not convinced everyone is straight down the line that way

Well my Eye2's are conforming for Amateur club competition until 2024. But, Homer, if I may ask, just because I was using them would that make you less likely to trust me as a playing partner or an opponent?

It almost reminds me of that horrid time when I was told my Eye2's were lowering the tone of an upper class golf club I once had the misfortune of playing!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My irons will also be banned in 2024. Wow. If anyone thinks by playing with them I'm some how making the game easier they are welcome to have a go. Last guy to try my 6 iron shanked it miles into the trees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well my Eye2's are conforming for Amateur club competition until 2024. But, Homer, if I may ask, just because I was using them would that make you less likely to trust me as a playing partner or an opponent?

It almost reminds me of that horrid time when I was told my Eye2's were lowering the tone of an upper class golf club I once had the misfortune of playing!

My comment was aimed at you. I was speaking generally, with a host of non-conforming drivers still out there as well as non-conforming irons. I rarely look too closely at my PP's bag and to be honest I'd have no idea if a set of clubs was or wasn't legal. It's simply affirming what others have alluded to and if you decide to deliberately ignore that rule, what others on the course would you (generally speaking) ignore as well? Sorry if my post was considered aimed directly at you

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
What makes these clubs non conforming in 2024 and not now?
To be honest I've never heard of non conforming clubs until reading this 🙈😬

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
What makes these clubs non conforming in 2024 and not now?
To be honest I've never heard of non conforming clubs until reading this 🙈😬

My irons don't meet the latest rules on groove dimensions. Box cut grooves spin more from the rough. Apparently. I'm not noticing it though.

High cor drivers go further, but to be fair, they are old tech and are pretty obsolete by now.

In essence, most people playing this stuff are handicapping themselves, not cheating, although they could be.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
My irons don't meet the latest rules on groove dimensions. Box cut grooves spin more from the rough. Apparently. I'm not noticing it though.

High cor drivers go further, but to be fair, they are old tech and are pretty obsolete by now.

In essence, most people playing this stuff are handicapping themselves, not cheating, although they could be.

Thanks for the explanation, never knew any of that until now.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
My comment was aimed at you. I was speaking generally, with a host of non-conforming drivers still out there as well as non-conforming irons. I rarely look too closely at my PP's bag and to be honest I'd have no idea if a set of clubs was or wasn't legal. It's simply affirming what others have alluded to and if you decide to deliberately ignore that rule, what others on the course would you (generally speaking) ignore as well? Sorry if my post was considered aimed directly at you

Homer!

I did not take it like that. I appreciate your apology. i have always enjoyed reading your posts and enjoyed our previous interactions. Long may it continue! No offence on my end!!

It will not be an issue until 2024 anyway and I would not use a non-confirming driver or a putter anyway. My Driver is 8 years old and already at the max cor and my PING putter is legal for tournament play.

Also always good to talk to another PING aficionado. If you ever get the chance do visit their HQ in Phoenix. You will love your visit and may run into a PGA Tour pro. Also it is worth checking out the book "Karsten's Way" on Karsten Solheim.

Take care,

Craig.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I'm pretty sure the phrasing of the rule said something like Amateurs may use clubs with these grooves until "at least" 2024, possibly later....

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the phrasing of the rule said something like Amateurs may use clubs with these grooves until "at least" 2024, possibly later....

Imurg:

I read that today, do you have any idea why they say "at least" 2024? Does it mean the rule may not be enforced then or they are reconsidering it at that time?

Thanks,

Craig

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That's basically it.
They've enforced the groove rule for elite amateurs and Pros but there's a chance they may not enforce it come 2024.
I guess it may depend on how many clubs are out there being used.
Let's face it, if you're playing regular comps these clubs are going to be knackered by 2024 so they might not feel the need to enforce it.
All new clubs made since 2010(I think) conform anyway

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
That's basically it.
They've enforced the groove rule for elite amateurs and Pros but there's a chance they may not enforce it come 2024.
Let's face it, if you're playing regular comps these clubs are going to be knackered by 2024 so they might not feel the need to enforce it.

Interesting you mention about how the clubs will be knackered by then. My Eye2's show very little wear for a set built in 1984. Tom Weiskopf lives close by and I have met him a couple of times in the last year. He still often uses his set of Macgregor VIP Irons from 1971. They literally have marks in the center of the clubface, coin sized where the chrome has peeled away from being hit in the sweet spot so much. Can't imagine those clubs are flat surfaced any more but he still says he likes them! Still carries a persimmon 3 wood too!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's basically it.

I imagine the Ping clubs will still be good as new in 2024 esp as they are made of the hardest metal known to man;)