Using mobile phones whilst driving

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is nothing upmarket about having a built in hands free kit in your car. Pretty standard stuff now in basic cars. They have become like a/c, no longer a luxury.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now - yes...
How many 10 year old Corsas, Fiestas or Clios have Bluetooth...?

My 5 year old yaris doesnt have it either.

I have never taken a call or texted while driving. I once was stuck in horrendous traffic due and got diverted down a small lane.

It was stop, wait, start traffic so I pulled to the side to make a call, to say I will be late, all legal as far as I know as I pulled over and everything. We didn't move and no noticeable space opened up in front of me yet I got beeped at at least 3 times... Just because I might have blocked their 3m crawl forwards...

I do however use my phone as a "sat-nav", I use Waze every day to avoid traffic and find the best route. I have turned off all alerts for texts and emails etc so I don't get distracted. Its great and has saved me a fair few hours at least in the last few months.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
And it's only the more modern, up-market, higher up the range models that have these gizmos.
There are millions of cars out there with none of this tech, mainly being driven by late teen/early twenties - the exact type who, quite literally, can't survive without their phones...

Every single car we sell, from the humblest, bottom of the range Micra to the top of the range X-Trail has bluetooth as standard.
;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
One accident I had, (in a customers car), could be directly attributed to use of a mobile phone.
Driving into work one day, I had my mobile on the passenger seat. The text message alert went off and I glanced down to see who it was from.
Wet road, slippery surface, cars in front had stopped.........by the time I realised it was too late and I couldn't brake in time.
Did £700's worth of damage to his car and he wasn't happy.
That was solely down to me "using" the mobile phone.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing worse than seeing people on them.

Was shocked at the sheer amount of people on them whilst in the USA.
Calling on one is bad but I can only imagine how distracting it is texting whilst driving.

Agree with Phil above, it should carry some form of automatic ban and an on the spot fine.

It's stupid the amount of people you see here on them. You have to be so aware at all times on the freeway cause you never know when someone is going to drift across as they are texting someone.

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Totally agree with the proposed increase to £200 fine plus 6 points.
But is it just political posturing when dedicated traffic cops have been cut by 27% since 2010, outside of the capital?:mmm:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And there's the biggest stumbling block.
Hardly any Police in a position to enforce....
Not a waste of time but I can't see it making much difference...

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think what it needs is a short sharp burst of police presence at traffic lights, roundabouts etc. Spot offenders and then make a concerted effort to publicise the prosecutions in the local and national press. A few people losing their jobs because of a driving ban will have a lot more effect than the likes of the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror trying to take credit for a Government press release saying something will be done.

Imurg

Visit site
It would be interesting to know what the chances of getting caught actually are....
The deterrent could be life inside but if the chances of getting caught are so low it reduces the effectiveness of that deterrent.
People need to sound their horns when they see someone driving and using the phone....make it known that they've been spotted.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think what it needs is a short sharp burst of police presence at traffic lights, roundabouts etc. Spot offenders and then make a concerted effort to publicise the prosecutions in the local and national press. A few people losing their jobs because of a driving ban will have a lot more effect than the likes of the Daily Mail and Daily Mirror trying to take credit for a Government press release saying something will be done.

Why would you lose your job? You don't with speeding points, as you can go way over the dozen points if you need to drive for your job. I know someone on 20 odd points, and still allowed to drive. Legally.

Imurg

Visit site
Why would you lose your job? You don't with speeding points, as you can go way over the dozen points if you need to drive for your job. I know someone on 20 odd points, and still allowed to drive. Legally.

I could.
If I get 5 points I can be struck off the ADI register

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only problem is the Police are already swamped and don't either have the time or inclination to enforce it.

They are one of the problems. They seem to think they can take their hands of the wheel to burp into their radios and it doesn't have any effect on their driving.

You just ask my system to ring numb nuts and off it goes, it even reads out texts. Why the cop cars arnt so clever is beyond me with the price they pay for their motors.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree with the proposed increase to £200 fine plus 6 points.
But is it just political posturing when dedicated traffic cops have been cut by 27% since 2010, outside of the capital?:mmm:

And there's the biggest stumbling block.
Hardly any Police in a position to enforce....
Not a waste of time but I can't see it making much difference...

The new government proposals are what's required and I particularly like the idea of young new drivers losing their licence and having to re-sit the test as these are the prime (but not sole) offenders and that, with the inevitable rise in insurance, could/should be a deterrent. However it needs to be made anti-social as drink driving has become for it to start seeping into the psyche of many.

Of course the government can make all the changes to legislation they like but without the sufficient numbers of police officers to enforce this (or many other motoring and criminal offences) how much difference is it going to make. I'm sure, like the drink drive blitzes there will be a huge crackdown, certainly initially but after that, how likely is it to be seen as a priority

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bluetooth and modern smartphones works!
well it does for me.

I have a basic Parrot system and an iPhone.
I just press the green button on the Parrot (no more distracting that turning the radio on) and just say "Call the wife" and my phone does the rest.
never tried Siri and reading messages.. but don't feel the need to listen to them while driving..