Using Lead Tape

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've lopped a couple of inches off my putter, and have bought some lead tape to add a little bit of weight to the head.
It's about 5-6mm wide.

Am I best to add equal amounts to either side, or run a strip all the way across to spread the weight?

Or something else?

Also, I've not got any scales that weigh small enough amounts to know how much the stuff weighs. Is there a rough guide like 10g is x mm?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Assuming it's on a roll, weigh the whole lot and measure the length. Simple arithmetic from there on. :) (Now called A level maths? :p )

It's also possible that the balance of the putter might have changed with the shorter length and re-gripping. Might be worth checking that out and, if necessary, alter the lead weighting accordingly.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apparently 1/4" lead tape is roughly 0.25g per inch.

..actually, that doesn't sound right does it. That would mean you would need 4" to get 1g. :D

You're right..... it doesn't sound right :p

If that were the case I may as well squash it into a ball and hammer it into a putter head shape :D

It was mostly to ask about where to position it. The weight thing was me being lazy and not using Google :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Assuming it's on a roll, weigh the whole lot and measure the length. Simple arithmetic from there on. :) (Now called A level maths? :p )

It's also possible that the balance of the putter might have changed with the shorter length and re-gripping. Might be worth checking that out and, if necessary, alter the lead weighting accordingly.

I actually got A level maths, not that it ever did me any good :mad:

I only bought about a foot (£1 off ebay) so there's not enough to make my scales move.

I'm sure you're right about the balance Leftie although I haven't tried it yet. I think I remember reading that at least some manufacturers made the heads slightly heavier on their shorter putters.

I read 10g per inch shorter so I was going to try to add 20g, if I have that much?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I've just found the same page using Google that you found Redwood. I still don't believe it.
Prove it to me and I still won't believe it! :D

I also found that 63mm is 1 swing-weight, which doesn't help me much.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Gary,

Stick it in an envelope, take it to the post office to get posted, and put it on their scales.

When they tell you how much it will cost to send it, suck in sharply through your teeth and tell them it's too much. walk out, and then you'll know how much it weighs!!!! ;) :p

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd recommend that you go and use it without putting the tape on first mate. Just to see how it feels and how it rolls for you. Then, if needed, add it gradually until happy.

I chopped nigh on 3" off of mine (now 32") and didn't replace any weight because it gave me the feeling that I could be more positive with the putts, especially from around 6' and in.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I would recommend having the extra weight in the grip of the club. See if a pro nearby would remove the grip, wrap the lead tape around the the top of the shaft as you would grip tape, then replace the grip. Will improve the smoothness of your putting stroke and give you a lot more control.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did think of taking it to the post office, then I remembered we have scales for weighing post at work so I took it in today.

The strip is about 16" long, and the whole thing only weighs 12g!
Hardly seems worth bothering with.

I'll try it without first, but for some reason in my head I imagined it would be harder to accidentally move it offline the heavier the head was.