Driver swingweight

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have recently purchased a PXG driver and always thought its swingweight was a bit light.

Using an online calculator it predicts it to be D1.

I've removed the weights and there is a 10g weigh at the rear , and 2 x 2g at the side and front.

Using the calculator as a rough guide , if I replace the 2g weights with 5 g, I should get up to D5 ?
This ignores the change in fulcrum point figure which I can't measure.

Does this seems about right ?

RRidges

Visit site
Have recently purchased a PXG driver and always thought its swingweight was a bit light.

Using an online calculator it predicts it to be D1.

I've removed the weights and there is a 10g weigh at the rear , and 2 x 2g at the side and front.

Using the calculator as a rough guide , if I replace the 2g weights with 5 g, I should get up to D5 ?
This ignores the change in fulcrum point figure which I can't measure.

Does this seems about right ?
Playing around with swing weights can be 'interesting' but might not make a lot of positive difference. The vast majority of distance is likely achieved by the speed of clubface at impact, which will likely be greater with a lighter head than with a heavier one - even accounting for the additional impetus of the 6g heavier head.
But if your feeling was that swing weight was a bit low, then it probably was, or at least lower than what you were used to.
Certainly worth experimenting with though.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing around with swing weights can be 'interesting' but might not make a lot of positive difference. The vast majority of distance is likely achieved by the speed of clubface at impact, which will likely be greater with a lighter head than with a heavier one - even accounting for the additional impetus of the 6g heavier head.
But if your feeling was that swing weight was a bit low, then it probably was, or at least lower than what you were used to.
Certainly worth experimenting with though.

You're right, it's all about being able to feel the club during the swing, which at the moment I'm not .

RRidges

Visit site
You're right, it's all about being able to feel the club during the swing, which at the moment I'm not .
That could also be down to the shaft weight and flex profile. A light shaft with a stiff lower end profile (not just tip) can feel that way too, especially if the head is already light - though a few grams is unlikely to make a great difference.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I can get the weights free from PXG , I'll experiment, if not I'll live with it as it performs well.

Gone are the days of slapping lead tape to all parts possible ??

RRidges

Visit site
If I can get the weights free from PXG , I'll experiment, if not I'll live with it as it performs well.

Gone are the days of slapping lead tape to all parts possible ??
Probably redundant, but worth remembering that there are several flavours of PXG head weights. I very much doubt you'll get them free from PXG, but worth checking. Ebay or your Pro shop might be the best or simplest source respectively. Lead tape initially could indicate whether doing it properly is worthwhile. Which reminds me that I'm still yet to swap the lead tape for proper shaft weights when I swapped shafts on a gorgeous set of Tourstage (Bridgestone) MR23 US Blade irons many moons ago! Though I'm not sure I can hit them properly these days anyway, as the sweet spot is about the size of a 5p (or 1 cent over here) coin.

Last edited: