Using a golf bag

RulesGuy

Visit site
Disqualified for not using your bag. I hope this doesn't spread to disqualification for not using your 3 wood or else I might as well give up (just like I have with my 3 wood).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know there is no Rule of Golf about using a bag.

Where I play it is a club rule that a player must use a bag and display a members bag tag or green fee paid tag regardless of the number of clubs being used.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know there is no Rule of Golf about using a bag.

Where I play it is a club rule that a player must use a bag and display a members bag tag or green fee paid tag regardless of the number of clubs being used.
If you had a 3 club comp ,would you DQ someone for this ?
If it’s a local rule or just a request.

I have seen plastic things that hold 5 clubs and couple of balls, designed for this scenario with a handle.
Would this be acceptable if his tag was on it.?
I understand the reasoning ,but a DQ for no bag is just not right imo.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have seen plastic things that hold 5 clubs and couple of balls, designed for this scenario with a handle.

This seems to be becoming a difficult concept...

1. They may not DQ people for a breach of club rules such as this.
2. They may ask them to leave the club, refuse booking rights or even fine them - but they can't DQ them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1.2 Standards of Player Conduct
b. Code of Conduct

The Committee may set its own standards of player conduct in a Code of Conduct adopted as a Local Rule.
The Committee may also disqualify a player for serious misconduct in failing to meet the Code’s standards.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This seems to be becoming a difficult concept...

1. They may not DQ people for a breach of club rules such as this.
2. They may ask them to leave the club, refuse booking rights or even fine them - but they can't DQ them.
1.2 Standards of Player Conduct
b. Code of Conduct

The Committee may set its own standards of player conduct in a Code of Conduct adopted as a Local Rule.
The Committee may also disqualify a player for serious misconduct in failing to meet the Code’s standards.
This seems very contradictory .

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Duncan is referring to the current situation. I quoted the rule from next November.
Duncan quoted the Rule from the Rules of Golf - are you implying that the Rules of Golf are changing next November? If so, where does that come from?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Duncan quoted the Rule from the Rules of Golf - are you implying that the Rules of Golf are changing next November? If so, where does that come from?
Oops. I had been writing some notes for a WHS meeting and confused myself (and others no doubt).
I was actually quoting from the current RoG.

Of course, to DQ under 1.2b the club would have to had published a Code of Conduct.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This ,where do u put balls ,tees etc.

Made up rules are the scourge of golf.
Had one couple of weeks ago .
Said to him” bet you everything in your wallet your wrong”
He didn’t take the bet.
But good money earners.... as long as you dont go 'All in' too early. ??

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This seems very contradictory .
Indeed.
To clarify my position with regard to 1.2b, the rule itself provides for restrictions on what may, or may not, be included and guidance is given in CP 5H. Possibly strangely for some, having a bag tag or even a bag doesn't get a mention. It seems a step to far to include it under dress code - which is itself pushing the limits of 'conduct' for me, but is clearly their to support, amongst other things, some tour requirements rather than just a ban on black socks,
There's also the specific ruling (22.5) that permits foresomes partners to share a single set of clubs - hard to reconcile this with a further requirement that they split them across 2 bags (or have 2 membership bag tags on the one bag...).

So I maintain my position.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The bag tag thing made me smile.

I haven't had a "year" sticker on my golf bag for a couple of years. You get them from office, open Mon-Fri 9-30 to 5-00. I only get to the course on Weekends., so I asked them to leave me one in the Pro Shop, hasn't happened. Ask them to post me one, no good there either. Not that I've ever been challenged about why I haven't got one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The bag tag thing made me smile.

I haven't had a "year" sticker on my golf bag for a couple of years. You get them from office, open Mon-Fri 9-30 to 5-00. I only get to the course on Weekends., so I asked them to leave me one in the Pro Shop, hasn't happened. Ask them to post me one, no good there either. Not that I've ever been challenged about why I haven't got one.
Just pay your subs from the year on your bag.
They will soon have a new one sent out.
Ours go behind the bar for those who can’t get there in office hours.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Would it be acceptable if they put the bag tag around their neck?

It is a disciplinary rule not a rule for competitions.

It is there to 'stop' players sharing bags and sets of clubs.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I introduced a rule at our club. If you have a cart bag with fourteen full length individual dividers PLUS a putter well, then fifteen clubs are OK. Never got a response so I assume it's OK!

I'm a Yank. I have an animal puppet headcover on my driver (Donkey) and different color Seamus tartan headcovers on my fairway metalwoods. The manufacturers logo ones that come with the metalwoods are horrid to put on and take off.

But I had to be shamed into using headcovers because they're a pain in the ass. Now I've even got one on my putter which is also a pain in the ass. We didn't bother with them back when putters cost 25 bucks.

Speaking of rules related issues, I bet that most of you are too young to have ever played the old 1.62" diameter R&A rules ball. I have. My uncle brought me a dozen from Bermuda when I was a kid.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
1.62" balls, I remember them and still play them on occasion.

Recently bought two boxes of these in the 1.62" size for use this year when playing with like minded golfers.

1577778022483.png