US PGA this weekend

Diamond

Visit site
needed Diamond interviewing Rory there, talking about how well he drove the ball today having hit 6 of 14 fairways ;)

Damn I missed that! Didn’t the interviewer mention his iron tee shot that was blitzed into the rough?
In fact I think the Sky chap said oh that’s not good makes you wish you took the driver! Oh aye if you are going to be in the rough hit it 400 yards and not 300! From a newby it looks like a sport being overtaken by mediocre talent and modern technology. I think I will spend £500 on some new clubs and I am sure I can make 25 by the end of the year Or at least hit it 20 yards further into the rough.

Diamond

Visit site
Well that was a a most enjoyable debate much better the golf. I will have to start one next week as well. Toddle Pip I am off to get my Bryson Cobra driver and Puma cap.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again watching the Sky coverage and someone said Bryson hit 1 fairway yesterday. 1 fairway....then Rory took an iron from the tee and promptly knocks it into the trees. Its pathetic for a professional in any industry but these guys are the best golfers in the world...right just not accurate then.

Bryson has chosen to try to overpower the course. Clearly that is going to work sometimes, and not others. He has also calculated that he would rather hit a wedge out of the rough from 120 yards than a 6 iron out of the fairway from 180. Some courses allow that and don't penalise missing fairways too much so long as you miss on the correct side of the hole and not by too much.

As for Rory, he hits a 3 iron 240 plus yards off the tee. The fairways at Olympia Fields are pretty narrow, narrower than most of the places we play. Let he who has never missed a fairway at 240 yards cast the first stone.

Which hole was it anyway? Was it the 12th, where he hit his tee shot with an iron to the left intermediate rough, then hit his second close to the flag and holed for birdie? Rory's driving accuracy, mostly with 300 yd plus drives, is 64%, field average 53%. I don't think he needs tips from us.

Last edited:

Diamond

Visit site
Bryson has chosen to try to overpower the course. Clearly that is going to work sometimes, and not on others. He has alsocailuated that he would rather hot a wedge out of the rough from 120 yards than a 6 iron out of eh fairway at 180. Some courses allow that and don't penalise missing fairways too much so long as you miss on the correct side of the hole and not by to much.

As for Rory, he hits a 3 iron 240 yards off the tee. Also, the fairways at Olympia Fields are pretty narrow, narrower than most of the places we play. Let he who has never missed a fairway at 240 yards cast the first stone.

Which hole was it? Was it the 12th, where he hit his tee shot with an iron to the left intermediate rough, then hit his second close to the flag and holed for birdie? Rory's driving accuracy, mostly with 300 yd plus drives, is 64%, field average 53%. I don't think he needs tips from us.

My point is that accuracy is poor as a paying customer/viewer. I expected the top 50 players on tour to hit 3 out of 4 fairways (75%) and they dont. The women PGA top 50 all hit over 73% of fairways.
It's probably not the players fault as they are given the latest technology and told to hit it further.
Then last night I heard the stat that Bryson had hit 1 fairway in the 1st round. It appears I am in the minority, on this forum, that finds it very poor however golf is all about opinions and if he cant hit more than a novice I am going to call it out.
Rory did play well after his mishap with the iron off the tee.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My point is that accuracy is poor as a paying customer/viewer. I expected the top 50 players on tour to hit 3 out of 4 fairways (75%) and they dont. The women PGA top 50 all hit over 73% of fairways.
It's probably not the players fault as they are given the latest technology and told to hit it further.
Then last night I heard the stat that Bryson had hit 1 fairway in the 1st round. It appears I am in the minority, on this forum, that finds it very poor however golf is all about opinions and if he cant hit more than a novice I am going to call it out.
Rory did play well after his mishap with the iron off the tee.

Well, I think you need to consider that (a) the courses the LPGA play are a bit shorter and wider and (b) the men hit it a lot further so the margin for error is less. Anyway, who cares about how many fairways they hit. Isn't the game about hitting it into a little hole not a piece of fairway. The hideous US Opens of the 80s with players like Hale Irwin hitting 2 irons off every tee down the lined fairways were a total bore.

Bryson is an unusual player in several respects but if you think he is no better than a novice, I am afraid you really don't know much about golf. Missing a fairway at an average of 351 yards off the tee is not how a novice plays. Bryson has the highest strokes gained off the tee on the PGA Tour, and Rory is 6th.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think you have gone off topic. The thread was about the accuracy of drives and it is my opinion that it isn’t good enough for a professional sport on TV. In fact it’s poor, very poor. My posts are from the view point of a punter paying money to watch golf on Sky and not someone competing in the tournament for the prize.
I am sure Brysons bank balance is healthy but I am also sure he wouldn’t waste his time watching another golfer hit the rough off every drive..or maybe he does and that is his inspiration.
"Bryson, there are millions watching on TV so can you make sure you hit more fairways please?"

"Sure no problem, I'll forget about trying to win the tournament and make sure the viewers are happy instead"

Diamond

Visit site
Like I said it's my opinion and you guys dont care if he hits it 400 yards in the rough and chips on the green with a wedge, that's fair enough.

I was expecting length over accuracy in the PGA but, again this is just me, it's gone too far in terms of watching the sport on TV. If I was there live I may appreciate a 400 yard drive but not if it goes off the course and no one saw it land. On the TV a 300 yard drive or 400 yard looks the same. The difference is I enjoy watching the pros hitting the mid irons instead of just wedges into greens.

I dont blame Bryson as he has taken it to another level by not hitting fairways and winning. It's collectively and the direction its taking the sport in for the viewer.

I still think 1 fairway out of 18 is piss poor and worth a mention on any golf forum worth its salt. Especially after an exceptional bottle of red Sicilian wine. ?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I still think 1 fairway out of 18 is piss poor and worth a mention on any golf forum worth its salt. Especially after an exceptional bottle of red Scilian wine. ?
Simply hitting the ball from the tee (or even teeing it up for that matter) 'after an exceptional bottle of red Scilian wine' would be some feat! ?
Oh and I'm another that isn't particularly fussed if they hit the fairway or not - s long as there's appropriate 'punishment' for (not) doing so! There are plenty of (mainly the top) tournaments where missing a fairway DOES get punished, so SOME where it doesn't - but the 'recovery' is sub/consequently the key shot of the hole - are fine by me. That's also why there are holes of different lengths/shapes/challenges imo.
Oh and where does 'Sciilian' wine come from> Somewhere near 'Taly' perchance?

Diamond

Visit site
Some good news for the big hitters union. Our Bryson hit 4 fairways in his 2nd round.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Some good news for the big hitters union. Our Bryson hit 4 fairways in his 2nd round.
I don't understand your issue. If you know someone that can hit more fairways AND shoot equal or lower scores then I suggest you tell them to try for their tour card.

Diamond

Visit site
I don't understand your issue. If you know someone that can hit more fairways AND shoot equal or lower scores then I suggest you tell them to try for their tour card.

Someone will always win and make money so golf should do us all a favour and change the balls or rules or something to make it a better spectacle. As it stands it’s crap and getting worse.