US PGA this weekend

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
They don't hand the trophy to the player with the most fairways hit, it's the one with the lowest score.
Rory seems to be hitting a lot of fairways, at least since I've been watching.
Apparently the fairways are averaging 27 yards wide this week. Won't be seeing a 30 under winning score like last week.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah cos Seve hit every fairway didnt he ;)
Good answer.
To the OP, golf is not about hitting fairways, it is about getting the ball in the hole. It's at its best when there are options and decisions to be made. Golf courses have rough, semi, fairways and hazards, chosing which to take on, and the relative pros/cons of each, is part of the fabric of the game. Great recovery shots (see seve) are some of the most skilfull and entertaining moments of any tournament.
If golf was just accuracy, you could hold it at topgolf...
Not really ranting, and i agree that when there is no penalty for being off line, many of the issues i highlighted are removed. I would argue that this week's set up is a good balance - the firmness of the greens definitely rewards getting control from the fairway. But it should still be possible to be able to hit a great shot from offline which gets the player back in the hole, especially if playing a bed shot is subsequently penalised.

Diamond

Visit site
Good answer.
To the OP, golf is not about hitting fairways, it is about getting the ball in the hole. It's at its best when there are options and decisions to be made. Golf courses have rough, semi, fairways and hazards, chosing which to take on, and the relative pros/cons of each, is part of the fabric of the game. Great recovery shots (see seve) are some of the most skilfull and entertaining moments of any tournament.
If golf was just accuracy, you could hold it at topgolf...
Not really ranting, and i agree that when there is no penalty for being off line, many of the issues i highlighted are removed. I would argue that this week's set up is a good balance - the firmness of the greens definitely rewards getting control from the fairway. But it should still be possible to be able to hit a great shot from offline which gets the player back in the hole, especially if playing a bed shot is subsequently penalised.
I agree but 1 fairway in a round is not what I am watching live golf for. Accuracy is everything (Tee,Fairway, bunker, rough and green). They may as well not show the tee shots on TV and have an advert on.

D

Deleted member 1147

I agree but 1 fairway in a round is not what I am watching live golf for. Accuracy is everything (Tee,Fairway, bunker, rough and green). They may as well not show the tee shots on TV and have an advert on.
Why don’t you leave the room when they are on the tee, and then come back in when they hole out?

Diamond

Visit site
One good thing this week is when they miss the fairway they're finding it difficult to hold the greens with their approaches. Puts a higher premium on driving accuracy.

Exactly. Surely that should be the case in any profession. I know if my accuracy was 1 in 18 I wouldn't have kept my job over the last 20 years.

D

Deleted member 1147

Exactly. Surely that should be the case in any profession. I know if my accuracy was 1 in 18 I wouldn't have kept my job over the last 20 years.
DcB’s job isn’t to hit fairways, it’s to get the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible.
Fairways hit and shots holed aren’t mutually exclusive.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have consumed quite a lot of wine tonight, and I have read this thread twice. I am still clueless as to what the heck it is about.

Some of the chaps on telly, who are a tad better at golf than me, are hitting it miles, and potentially missing the cut stuff. Sometimes by a couple of yards, over a 350 yard drive.

I can't see the problem?

Should they be hitting it 350 plus? Different question.

Diamond

Visit site
Isn’t that what you don’t want to watch?

I never said I didnt like it. I am saying professional golfers should be able to hit a fairway off the tee with an iron. I find it sordid that they make so much and can be so inconsistent at their day job. Its amused me enough to post this thread but the replys have been funny to say the least.

Diamond

Visit site
They don't hand the trophy to the player with the most fairways hit, it's the one with the lowest score.
Rory seems to be hitting a lot of fairways, at least since I've been watching.
Apparently the fairways are averaging 27 yards wide this week. Won't be seeing a 30 under winning score like last week.
I am not bothered who wins. The best player will win. I am referring to viewing it it on TV and Bryson hitting into the rough every hole is just not good for TV.
Rory is steady tonight though and after that iron off the tee he has been far more accurate.

D

Deleted member 1147

I never said I didnt like it. I am saying professional golfers should be able to hit a fairway off the tee with an iron. I find it sordid that they make so much and can be so inconsistent at their day job. Its amused me enough to post this thread but the replys have been funny to say the least.
So you didn’t say they should put adverts on when they tee off, rather than showing them?
Or was that the OP?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That said, the number of guys in the top 30, potentially top 10 in the FedEx rankings today, who are absolute 'who the heck', is quite surprising. I watch a lot of golf, and some of these I have never heard of.

Who is Tyler Duncan, Mackenzie Hughes, or Sebastian Munoz?