US Open

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Disagree, Brookline is the among the closest thing there is to a historic test in the States. It’s all the dull parkland courses built since and that feature regularly on the tours that should have the windmills on them.
Agreed, I’m loving the look and feel of Brookline. A ‘real’ golf course ?

Springveldt

Visit site
When did Fitzpatrick start getting close to 180mph ball speed with his driver? Pretty sure the last time I looked he was high 160's.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Rory (and others) - "I want to play against the best players in the world"

14 americans and 7 non americans make up the top 21 of the leaderboard. Are the USA now that dominant in the game of golf across the world, that's a ridiculous skew of statistics if that's the case.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

14 americans and 7 non americans make up the top 21 of the leaderboard. Are the USA now that dominant in the game of golf across the world, that's a ridiculous skew of statistics if that's the case.

It is the US Open.

But to answer your question. Yes they are. And it’s not difficult to see why.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Pretty much matches the numbers in the OWGR top 20 (12 US; 8 non-US), so 'Yes'! FWW, it's not a new phenomenon and 'local knowledge/experience' is certainly a factor.
149th Open had split 11 US (including 1st and 2nd) vs 10 non-US in top 21 which doesn't surprise me either,

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It is the US Open.

But to answer your question. Yes they are. And it’s not difficult to see why.

Can you expand?

Golf is a global game, hugely popular across Europe, Asia atc - why aren't the rest of the world producing the players of that standard that the USA are - even Rahm is effectively American in the manner in which he has nurtured his game from his college days.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can you expand?

Golf is a global game, hugely popular across Europe, Asia atc - why aren't the rest of the world producing the players of that standard that the USA are - even Rahm is effectively American in the manner in which he has nurtured his game from his college days.
Rham is "effectively " American...?...???
Jeez........I think you're trying too hard...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

He's used the American system to establish his position in the game, it's that simple.
Rory is the only player in the top 12 or so that developed his game outside of the USA, why is there such an advantage for players that are US based, and there quite clearly is!!

D

Deleted member 1147

Didn’t you know that if you went to college in the states you effectively become a yank?
It’s an injustice that Greg Norman has spent his entire life trying to fight!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Didn’t you know that if you went to college in the states you effectively become a yank?
It’s an injustice that Greg Norman has spent his entire life trying to fight!

It's a shame Imurg didn't quote my full post to get the actual context of what I was saying.

Play the ball and not the man chaps, come on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He's used the American system to establish his position in the game, it's that simple.
Rory is the only player in the top 12 or so that developed his game outside of the USA, why is there such an advantage for players that are US based, and there quite clearly is!!
Because they start them young and there's a lot of them.
Clubs over here often struggle to get juniors playing..they're queuing up in the States because it's pushed at school level and through University.
It's not here and probably in few other countries
It's only the exceptional talent like Rory that makes it plus a few others who get the right coaching early enough.
For every Brit in that scenario there's a couple of dozen American kids...
It's no wonder they're the dominant force....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can you expand?

To me, the entire US infrastructure is set up to encourage/promote talent in a much better ay than the rest of the world. Rahm is a classic example - why did he (have to?) go to US to promote/further his golf in the first place? Tennis is exactly the same - the US college setup works well for talented players - and with about 340M US population, 'opportunity abounds'!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The college system in the US has so much money, is so well set up. You can get intense coaching, great facilities, virtually be a professional for 3 years. Any half decent golfer, I know ones from this area who have gone with a 5 h/c, not +5, is off there like a shot if they get the chance. It's the best training ground in the world.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Because they start them young and there's a lot of them.
Clubs over here often struggle to get juniors playing..they're queuing up in the States because it's pushed at school level and through University.
It's not here and probably in few other countries
It's only the exceptional talent like Rory that makes it plus a few others who get the right coaching early enough.
For every Brit in that scenario there's a couple of dozen American kids...
It's no wonder they're the dominant force....

But for every Brit, there will be a Spanish kid, an Italian kid, a German kid, Australian, Japanese, South Korean, Chinese, Indian, Swedish, Norweigan.........

The advantage they have in the US, can't be just down to the coaching from a young age - I've seen some excellent kids here in Spain - 12 year olds off 6 handicap, and that's the ones I've actually come across locally while taking Jamie to tournaments - there's loads of them out there with the potential.

Then the next question is, if the US has such good coaching opportunities for youngsters, why do they, and whay aren't the rest of the world trying to catch up.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm getting the world feed on TV and one of the commentators (the American) persists in giving the distance as "a buck 92 to the pin"

Aarrgh!