Ureeeeeekakakakakakakaka.... Swing thoughts banished to the range!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As some a couple of people on here know for the last 6 weeks i've not really been enjoying my golf, and a couple of cr*p rounds recently have seen some career worst scores ever, i think the last few rounds have been between 23-27 so not enjoying it.

After the first few bad rounds i hit the other range i use for a lesson with the old pro, he had me trying to do all sorts, weaker grip, a complete change of swing plane to try and create more lag in the swing, and its been a right miss mash of poor golf with rays of sunlight. Its got that bad that today although it was the AGM i didn't want to play pre AGM and was just going to go for that and that alone, i had even contemplated the dreaded "break from the game", but..... Some reassuring kind words from a few members on here, and i went to the course today with a couple of simple rules.

1) Trust what swing you have brought today and today alone,
2) as long as the grip is right, NO SWING THOUGHTS
3) try and just build a tempo'd swing.

so onto the range pre round, trying simply to check the basics and grip, feet together and half a bucket of 8i's later things felt surprisingly solid. ok, onto 6I and 4I and things are looking good, a couple of drivers for good measure insuring i stay behind the ball as per bobs pics thread the other day (nice one bob :thup:) and im ready for action. at this point i had to be firm with myself, NO false sense of security & NO NO NO Swing thoughts!, it can and has all changed come the first tee before... so Smile with no swing thoughts and lets just enjoy the game.

Our first is a par 5, going into a slight head wind so playing slightly longer especially after overnight rain, but the first drive of the day was absolutely spot on... bang out the screws, nice mid height flight with a bit of draw and im in prime position left side of the fairway at about 230 from the green, what was nice was the fact that there was 7 groups behind us in todays comp, so if ripped one with a nice side audience. when i arrive at the ball i slighly feet below the ball so its a toss up between a 3w and taking the par 5 on, or a easy hybrid up short to leave a pitch. given the ball below my feet i opted for the latter and punched a nice easy hybrid up short right of the green leaving a chip of around 55/60 yards. now the downside to this safe play is im now coming into a green that is effectively sloping away from me, stopping this pitch is going to take some doing... but a nice drive and a nice hybrid has me smiling and pretty relaxed. Pull out the 58, nice tempo'd swing and im 1ft from the pin with an uphill putt, walk off with a nice 4 for 4 points and that right there is THE way to start a stableford.

sticking with this process i played some of the most enjoyable golf i have played this year, and with 1 blob on the card which we wont talk about i walked off with 37 points, and this was even though i had about 4/5 lipped puts.

The moral of the story.... keep swing thoughts for the range, ans smiles for the course.

:cheers:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nice one Barry. Popped down to the range myself this morning before our stableford. 3 blobs in a row during that storm this afternoon and I am collecting .1s for fun at the moment!

But pleased to hear that you had a good day.:thup:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
cheers guys, its been major depressor over the last few weeks just nice to bounce back from it.

Matty, what time were you there, i think i was there from 7:15 to 8:15

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
As some a couple of people on here know for the last 6 weeks i've not really been enjoying my golf, and a couple of cr*p rounds recently have seen some career worst scores ever, i think the last few rounds have been between 23-27 so not enjoying it.

After the first few bad rounds i hit the other range i use for a lesson with the old pro, he had me trying to do all sorts, weaker grip, a complete change of swing plane to try and create more lag in the swing, and its been a right miss mash of poor golf with rays of sunlight. Its got that bad that today although it was the AGM i didn't want to play pre AGM and was just going to go for that and that alone, i had even contemplated the dreaded "break from the game", but..... Some reassuring kind words from a few members on here, and i went to the course today with a couple of simple rules.

1) Trust what swing you have brought today and today alone,
2) as long as the grip is right, NO SWING THOUGHTS
3) try and just build a tempo'd swing.

so onto the range pre round, trying simply to check the basics and grip, feet together and half a bucket of 8i's later things felt surprisingly solid. ok, onto 6I and 4I and things are looking good, a couple of drivers for good measure insuring i stay behind the ball as per bobs pics thread the other day (nice one bob :thup:) and im ready for action. at this point i had to be firm with myself, NO false sense of security & NO NO NO Swing thoughts!, it can and has all changed come the first tee before... so Smile with no swing thoughts and lets just enjoy the game.

Our first is a par 5, going into a slight head wind so playing slightly longer especially after overnight rain, but the first drive of the day was absolutely spot on... bang out the screws, nice mid height flight with a bit of draw and im in prime position left side of the fairway at about 230 from the green, what was nice was the fact that there was 7 groups behind us in todays comp, so if ripped one with a nice side audience. when i arrive at the ball i slighly feet below the ball so its a toss up between a 3w and taking the par 5 on, or a easy hybrid up short to leave a pitch. given the ball below my feet i opted for the latter and punched a nice easy hybrid up short right of the green leaving a chip of around 55/60 yards. now the downside to this safe play is im now coming into a green that is effectively sloping away from me, stopping this pitch is going to take some doing... but a nice drive and a nice hybrid has me smiling and pretty relaxed. Pull out the 58, nice tempo'd swing and im 1ft from the pin with an uphill putt, walk off with a nice 4 for 4 points and that right there is THE way to start a stableford.

sticking with this process i played some of the most enjoyable golf i have played this year, and with 1 blob on the card which we wont talk about i walked off with 37 points, and this was even though i had about 4/5 lipped puts.

The moral of the story.... keep swing thoughts for the range, ans smiles for the course.

:cheers:

funny ive just on FB about my thoughts or lack of thoughts on my swing. done it to day 77 scratch at a 66 par. just lock n load wherever it went thats where you play your next, simples

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
maybe it was a case of being more focused today, it was something i was working on but have to admit in recent weeks with confidence being low ive just looked at the fairway in hope.... where-as today i seemed more focused on where i wanted the ball. i do think you can have too much tension in the swing, today it was just relaxed.

i think from 13 par4/5's, i missed 1 fairway.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
cheers guys, its been major depressor over the last few weeks just nice to bounce back from it.

Matty, what time were you there, i think i was there from 7:15 to 8:15

I was later than that - around 11 as I didnt have my boy in tow who would normally do Alex's coaching. I do look out for you and I will say hello when I see you.

Also, we will have a game shortly. I need some time off of work!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
to be fair Alex got my head in the right place pre round, think im going to let him have the next 5 lessons. heard good things from him and hes meant to be the best short game coach there.

defo up for a game mate, but im back at work now so may depend on when you fancy it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've been having similar issues. Been trying to focus on the course about how well the ball striking has been on the range and when I get scared of a shot just see a picture of me in the bay making a superb swing with great tempo and then just trust myself to replicate it. Visualisation is an uinder estimated tool and is helping me a lot recently