Umbrellas.. what one have you got??

shane3003

Visit site
I’ve got a Ping G umbrella which is around 6-7 years old. Only attempted to use a couple of times but it was also windy and took my trolley over.
I just go with my Galvin Green’s including a hat, with some FJ winter gloves and actually have more fun. Enjoying being outdoors and not stressing about the getting wet and trolly blowing over.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with those saying the umbrella doesn't get as much use as you think. I only use it when (a) I've got the trolley and (b) it's not super windy. It's basically for those random summer showers where it's too warm to put a jacket on but you don't want to get soaked.

Big85

Visit site
I bought the mortocaddy clear view and played today at trevose in windy and rain conditions and it held up very well

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with those saying the umbrella doesn't get as much use as you think. I only use it when (a) I've got the trolley and (b) it's not super windy. It's basically for those random summer showers where it's too warm to put a jacket on but you don't want to get soaked.
Ditto. If I’m carrying then the brolly stays at home!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A Callaway Red and Black one that's about 1p years old...doesn't get used much
Only comes out to play when there is little wind otherwise it just acts as a sail for the trolley.
Having said that it gotmused today for the first time, possibly since before lockdown...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a very nice Inesis umbrella from Decathlon. Had it about 5 years and I'm sure it's pretty good. But I don't think it's got wet yet. If it's raining I wear a jacket and a hat. But the umbrella is very good at taking up space in my locker

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have this one: https://www.americangolf.co.uk/ball...ountain-h2no-vision-golf-umbrella-398926.html

What can I tell you, it keeps the rain off - it has a little window on it which is a nice touch, if you're tall it helps to see where you're going. :LOL: The handle is quite thick though so be wary if you have a narrow holder on your trolley or whatever.

Bumping this because I don't want to start a whole new topic about umbrellas really. But my aforementioned Sun Mountain umbrella that I've had less than a year has bitten the dust. Playing with my wife yesterday, she was using my trolley and it was raining so I put my umbrella up for her. A sudden 30mph gust of wind and it was toast - inverted and two of the spokes broke off. Don't think it's fixable. If I get a new one I'm now wondering:
a. Do I get a very expensive supposedly windproof one, or
b. Are they just completely not worth bothering with in winter? Whenever it's raining it tends to be windy as well. I could just get a run-of-the-mill one to use for those summer showers where it's still too warm to play with a jacket on but you want to keep the rain off while you're walking.

I already don't use one when it's carry only since it's a constant faff putting it up and down or finding somewhere to stick it while you're playing. Does windproof even exist or is it just wishful thinking?

RichA

Visit site
After playing yesterday I reached the same conclusion that I reach every April. The only point carrying an umbrella on the golf course is if there's a torrential downpour and you decide to just stop playing and shelter for a while until it stops.
Carrying it while carrying a bag is a pain. Attaching it to a trolley is a recipe for it blowing the whole rig over and damaging the trolley.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I remember a couple of years ago watching my playing partner chase his umbrella over a hedge into a farmers field. It blew out of his hand and then just stayed high enough for him not to be able reach it as it went over the fairway and then disappeared over the hedge. He was well annoyed with the rest of the group as we didn't help him catch it but we were too busy laughing to do anything :ROFLMAO: We were also annoyed we hadn't been able to get our phones out to film it!