UK & Ireland Top 100 Courses - Your shout!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a note to add on this. I played Walton Heath Old yesterday. It is a nice course with several interesting holes. However, it is too flat to be a classic inland course. In my view, it is very overrated and cetainly not in the same league as Hankley, Berkshire or Sunningdale.

That said, the lunch is of the highest quality!
Totally agree Snelly based on my 1 visit - would like to go again and get a second opinion but there were definitely a few week holes, I didn't like the first on the other side of the road, it seemed quite crammed in with tees and greens very on top of each other and the motorway noise etc - can't in a million years see how people rank it above most other Surrey/Berks top courses - with Hankley in particular of a similar open heathland comparison a lot better in every way IMHO

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just a note to add on this. I played Walton Heath Old yesterday. It is a nice course with several interesting holes. However, it is too flat to be a classic inland course. In my view, it is very overrated and cetainly not in the same league as Hankley, Berkshire or Sunningdale.

That said, the lunch is of the highest quality!

Maybe that should be the new ranking criteria for courses ;)

bogside84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a member of Bogside I am very surprized with your opinion on Bogside but as you say it is your opinion. It is a very difficult course to play for your first time because of blind shots etc but not in the top 10 in Ayrshire I would like to hear your top 10 =drive4show;650366]As expected, this thread has had some interesting and varied responses. Some I agree with and some I think are quite a long way off the mark.

So, to provoke a bit more discussion, here are a few of my thoughts on the comments so far (and don't forget, this is purely my opinion)

1) The Belfry.....agreed, it shouldn't be anywhere near this list. At best it has 3 or 4 good holes. Top 100 courses should have at least 12-15 good holes.
2) The best course in GB&I is Royal County Down by a country mile.
3) Courses like Queenwood and Loch Lomond should be excluded from the list as they are not accessible to the general public.
4) Bogside....sorry but it would struggle to get into the top 10 in Ayrshire never mind top 100 in the country. Agreed it is a perfectly nice track but it takes more than good greens to make the top table. New Zealand is another perfectly nice track but again, overshadowed by too many of it's illustrious neighbours.
5) Too many courses cash in on their reputations and rankings in order to hike up their prices. Many of the big name courses are now charging up to £200 a round and that is a ridiculous amount of money to expect the ordinary man in the street to pay for 4 hours (hopefully!!) of entertainment.
6) Links and heathland courses are generally more highly rated than parkland and other types of courses. Moving tonnes of earth to create 'features' never sits as well on the eye as natural features found on links and heathland tracks. This is why tracks like The Oxfordshire and The Grove will always struggle to do well in these types of rankings.

Hope I haven't upset anyone with these comments, as stated at the beginning of the thread these are purely my opinions.[/QUOTE]

S

Snelly

In relation to point two made above, I played RCD Championship Links yesterday on a perfect sunny Autumn day and the course was in perfect condition. Absolutely stunning.

Without wishing to do anything more than stimulate discussion, I would like to reiterate that this is the best course I have ever played and by a long way too. I have played at quite a few of the top 100 courses including Muirfield and none come close to Royal County Down in my opinion. To see it yesterday, in glorious sunshine and crystal clear skies with the course looking like golfing nirvana was an absolute joy. An amazing experience.

I find it surprising and interesting that anyone can rank Muirfield as a better golf course than RCD. Muirfield is really lovely but RCD is one of the best in the world. Almost peerless and I recommend it to any golfer. Combine it with a stay at the Slieve Donard hotel and you will have an unforgettable trip, especially if you are as lucky as we were yesterday with the playing conditions.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In relation to point two made above, I played RCD Championship Links yesterday on a perfect sunny Autumn day and the course was in perfect condition. Absolutely stunning.

Without wishing to do anything more than stimulate discussion, I would like to reiterate that this is the best course I have ever played and by a long way too. I have played at quite a few of the top 100 courses including Muirfield and none come close to Royal County Down in my opinion. To see it yesterday, in glorious sunshine and crystal clear skies with the course looking like golfing nirvana was an absolute joy. An amazing experience.

I find it surprising and interesting that anyone can rank Muirfield as a better golf course than RCD. Muirfield is really lovely but RCD is one of the best in the world. Almost peerless and I recommend it to any golfer. Combine it with a stay at the Slieve Donard hotel and you will have an unforgettable trip, especially if you are as lucky as we were yesterday with the playing conditions.

Wait for it.....wait for it....

Snelly,I agree 100% with your post.100 and ten % actually.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Worth £100 a round?

S

Snelly

Worth £100 a round?

I'm not sure what the green fee is but whatever it is, it's worth it. Wentworth is over £350 for 18 holes on the west course. If this scale were applied to RCD, then it should cost well over £1000 to play!

It is amazing. I'd happily pay a lot more that £100 to play there. It would be worth every penny if you could guarantee the weather.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure what the green fee is but whatever it is, it's worth it. Wentworth is over £350 for 18 holes on the west course. If this scale were applied to RCD, then it should cost well over £1000 to play!

It is amazing. I'd happily pay a lot more that £100 to play there. It would be worth every penny if you could guarantee the weather.

Just had a look on their website, £180 this summer, £100 April and £75 in March If its that good then it maybe worth a trip.

Anyone fancy a road trip? Craw? Fabian? Etc etc