UK & Ireland Top 100 Courses - Your shout!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Don't understand why people say courses that are tough to access should not be in a top 100 list.

inaccessible I think was the word, big difference. Not sure how you can qualify them if all you have to go on is pictures.

and if Panmure and Montrose are in it along with the aforementioned Silloth then open your eyes and place my home track in it's true position of easily top 100. The difficulty with that is there are no criteria or parameters therefore it's purely down to ones own passionate preferences.

Some of the rankings are frankly laughable. point proven.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've played about 40 of these.

I notice that there's no 'Value for Money' points, so Wentworth West, Trump's or any of The Open courses don't disappear, though there are points for 'Ambience', which rewards the likes those threatened by the 'value for money' issue.

Having played Loch Lomond (and heard about the Queenwood set-up), it's seems to me that it's only the (fantastic) Ambience that gets these their high ratings.

Hard to disagree with the top 15 or so - though I might have them in a slightly different order (Birkdale, Carnoustie, Muirfield, RSG, TOC is my pick and Kingsbarns might go ahead of TOC too). Sunningdale New does seem a 'better' course these days than Sunningdale Old (though the view from Old 10 is majestic). Much as I love Walton Heath Old, I wouldn't rank it above Wentworth West (which seems to have suffered from the value-for-money issue that has nothing to do with the course), nor even Walton Heath Old. I'd also have Gullane #1 higher and Rye lower (swapped?) though Rye's 'ambience; is top-notch. West Lancs is certainly nice, but Formby is pretty much equal or better imo. Bearwood probably deserves a slight improvement after recent changes - and should go higher in the future. Ladybank, though pleasant enough, seems a bit outclassed to be in the list. Likewise Wentworth East is a slightly jaded Colt these days and could well be replaced by Wentworth Edinburgh/South.

As others have said, it's a very subjective list. My favourite is still Muirfield and another course or 2 nowhere near the top 100, but they are for personal reasons!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to agree with DarthVega and a few others if I can't walk up to the pro with cash in my pocket and get a game without being invited by royalty (I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!) I don't see how they can make a top100 list - unless its "The Top 100 Courses YOU Will Never Play!

S

Snelly

I have to agree with DarthVega and a few others if I can't walk up to the pro with cash in my pocket and get a game without being invited by royalty (I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!) I don't see how they can make a top100 list - unless its "The Top 100 Courses YOU Will Never Play!

Totally disagree. This is a top 100 list of golf courses in GB so if a course is built here and is good enough then it should be included.
I have played at Loch Lomond and it wasn't particularly difficult to get a game there. And let's be clear, the following courses should all be barred if excusivity and not being able to just turn up and play is a condition: Rye, Queenwood, Little Aston, Loch Lomond, Doonbeg and Old Head.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
Western GailesTurnberryRoyal TroonPrestwickDundonaldGlasgow GailesBarassiePrestwick St NicholasIrvine BogsideWest KilbridePortlandIt would probably make my top 10 but I get what your meaning. I don't think there is much to choose between the last three and St Nicks so I guess its down to personal preference where you place them. Also if you want pure fun and value then you have got to throw Shiskine into the mix, however I'm in no way suggesting its a top 100 course!
You really need either to read or get out more - it isn't the Top 100 in Scotland

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, does anyone know what the range of green fees is on the top 100 courses. Would be interested to see how high up the list you could go and still get a round at normal rates for under £100.00.

T

thecraw

Plank status accepted and deserved - apologies - didn't really see the bold type

No apology ever required, just acknowledgement that you had a plank moment.

That said, if it was me that had the final say on the top 100 Western Gailes would rank higher than Turnberry!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, does anyone know what the range of green fees is on the top 100 courses. Would be interested to see how high up the list you could go and still get a round at normal rates for under £100.00.

Played Turnberry a couple of years ago for £175 that was 2 rounds Ailsa and Kintyre and DBB in THE hotel and played Woodhall Spa this year for £139 again 2 rounds Hotchkin and Bracken and DBB. Don't know if these count but when you work back it equals less than £100 a round for 2 absolutely top draw courses!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'd like to see that info.

Mostly, it must be said, I don't go to many of the "top, top" courses. It has crossed my mind to save up and blow 4 x £100+ green fees a year. Trouble is, I'm not sure I fancy robbing banks....

D

Deleted Member 1156

I played Perranporth in Cornwall this year and they had a plaque in reception ranking the course at some position in the Top 100 courses under £50 which I think is a really good idea. It was either from Golf World or Golf Monthly, can't remember which.

SimonS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played 6 out of that list so far:

The Old Course
Castle Stuart
Blairgowrie Rosemount
Bearwood Lakes
Montrose Medal
Royal Worlington & Newmarket

All are memorable but the one that I would rush back to in a heartbeat is Royal Worlington & Newmarket. Three words - Quality, History & Character. It may only be 9 holes but it deserves to be far higher on the list. Only £35 for a day ticket.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Cost of the course should not be a factor. We are trying to evaluate the golf course from holes 1 to 18 (or 12 in Shiskines case) pure and simple. A great golf course is a great golf coure irrispective of the cost.

I want to sell Cruden Bay and Machrihanish to get them higher up the list. Both courses are just outright fun. Both encourage imagination, courage and subtle touches whilst dishing out punishment ti those who err. The greens at both were immaculate when I played them in July this year. these two course are my own idea of what a golf course should be.

big_al

Club Champion
Visit site
i've played 6 of the top 100 and would rate them as follows

1 birkdale- great course with a lot of history and it's all laid out in front of you.
2 rcd- an absolute cracker set in a stunning location but misses out on top spot for me because of the amount of blind shots.
3 hillside- as greg norman said the best back 9 in england, easily good enough to host the open if they had the space
4 ganton- like stepping back in time, old school quality
5 formby- quality links type course but with plenty of pine trees
6 s&a- another quality links on the golf coast slightly overshadowed by it's neighbours hillside and birkdale

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have played a few on the list. Without any question my number 1 is and probably always will be Royal Count Down, quite simply golfing heaven, try your hand on the chipping and putting greens first, employ a caddy a getv ready to enjoy 4 hours of pure undiluted pleasure, listen to your caddy even when you think he's having a bit of craic with you, long and tough but a sensuous delight, bumpy fairways, the sound of the ocean, fantastic greens and the mountains in the distance. Golf doesnt come any better.

2. Kingsbarns
3. Royal Portrush
4. Wentworth
5. St Andrews

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Until yesterday it would have been The O Meara course @ Carton House , the beautiful Mount Juliet or Glaseady in Ballyliffin ( this from from a NON lover of links golf ) That is until i graced the beauty that is ..........Druids Glen , in the beautiful Co Wicklow on the east coast of this emerald isle...

What a course , layout of the holes , condition & speed of the greens & the sheer beauty of your surroundings in the place , i played that bad yesterday that i wished id just brought my camera instead of my clubs .. An easy straight opening hole is followed by an easy opener of a par 3 .. then a Right to left par 4 , followd by a left to right par 4 .. onto a bunker lined par 5 ..

now if your playing it from this recomendation , at this stage youl still be thinking , mmm nice enough but wondering what the heck was that bladeplayer going on about ,

its then you start meandering up & down hills , across stone & suspension bridges , elevated par 4 tee box to a left to right dogleg fairway with the stream running its lenght before opening into a considerable lake in front of the green,
elevated par3 tee boxes to water protected greens , when you look back from green to tee you see the cross shaped shrubery on the hill , overlooked by the druid at his alter .. 17th is nearly an island par 3 & 18 is beautifuly protected by water as the clubhouse comes into view ..

I could write 40 pages of the beauty of this place & still not describe it fully ..

I played that bad im embarrased to say i played here , & i will soon return (camera in hand) to rectify this blip .. if you are from here or are planing a trip here, this is a MUST ..

D

Deleted Member 1156

blade

Your comment above is a perfect example of "one man's meat is another man's poison"

I checked out the pictures on the Druids Glen website, to me it looks totally manufactured and unnatural. I would give it great marks in a gardening competition but I wouldn't pay any of my own money to play it. Living in Ireland you should hang your head in shame for admitting you don't like links courses, the purest and most natural form of this great game. I'd be more than happy to come over and play all your great links with you and hopefully convert you ;)

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Bill,you have a friend her pal,played it and the Heath in 2006 and loved it,a cracking golf course and the Heath aint bad either.

Do you mind me asking what you paid? We got a superb deal of something like 160 euro for 2 rounds and DBB for 1 night.

Would love to go back again,also played The Island which is a belter of a links but way too low in the top 100 IMO.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
[That is until i graced the beauty that is ..........Druids Glen , in the beautiful Co Wicklow on the east coast of this emerald isle...

What a course , layout of the holes , condition & speed of the greens & the sheer beauty of your surroundings in the place]

I absolutely agree, you will see in my earlier note I too rate it higher than Mount Juliet or Adare Manor - each hole is just so beautifully framed. I think the comment about manufactured is a bit lazy and poorly thought through. Not every course can "be beside the seaside" to quote the song and Druid's Glen has been carved between majestic trees and woodland and uses the natural elevations of the land superbly. Yes the little weirs and streams that go through the land are gorgeous but no one is trying to make water go uphill here, and the trees have been here for hundreds of years. So if good condition isn't to your liking, if a little Augusta like feel to the flow isn't to your taste then don't play here, but if you like a little top quality parkland to go with the penchant for links then there are few better.:thup: