Trouble Sleeping the night before

nyckuk

Visit site
This has been going on about 3-4years
My Saturday tee time is normally around 7.40-8am ( I cant change this ) but ive got into a habit of waking up 3-4 am and cant get back to sleep .
Im sure its affecting my golf as i turn up feeling slightly tired to feeling like im on another plant .
On work days i have no trouble staying asleep even when I should be getting up .
Im only interested if you experience something similar and how you dealt with it , sorry I dont want to hear how you sleep 12hrs every night and life is wonderful :)

Thanks

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Friday night tipple? If I drink too much I sleep like a log for a few hours and then wake up around 4:00 with no hope of falling back to sleep.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I started a thread about the same thing 2/3months ago and feel for you. I play twice around 11.20 a.m and once around 8.50 a.m. No problem with the former but the latter cannot get back after a bathroom break.
I think it is related to missing your tee time as with the later time I know I will wake up. Suggestions include avoiding alcohol, coffee and the internet before bed. I know it is not nerves as it could be a roll up and nobody would care if I did not arrive.

If you find a solution please let me know

Mandofred

Visit site
I get up pretty early as it is.....usually by 6am at the latest. If I have something I know I need to do I tend to wake up earlier.....I've just dealt with it. My only suggestion is if I were "groggy" in the morning....I'd go out for a walk/run etc or something else that gets your body going before going to play golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am someone who has woken around 4 am for absolutely years.

I normally get up make a cup of hot chocolate which I take back to bed. Turn on some soothing music (always music only, no voices) after drinking the chocolate I just listen to the music. I drift back off most days

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wife wakes early sometimes. I've noticed if she stays up later the early wakenings don't happen. So, stay up later. Might help.?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I am firmly of the belief that sometimes we will never get answers to the questions we seek. ( not just sleep) Sometimes I think it is the question we ask that is wrong. You cannot sleep the night before a golf game. Would it actually make you play better if you did. How do we know. I must be the worlds worst sleeper. That’s with or without playing golf the following day. All I know is that if the grandkids stay overnight I will not sleep. Period. Until the clock goes off that is. When they are not here it is better. Unfortunately it is what it is, and I think the more you make it a problem the bigger it unnecessarily becomes.

nyckuk

Visit site
Seems most of the suggestions are more for getting off to sleep rather than staying asleep apart from taking melatonin , shame you can only get it on prescription
I feel sorry for you lot but I’m glad I’m not the only one
It all went wrong last night . Didn’t feel like I went to sleep, went for a pee 2am , noticed kids ( adults age 21 & 24 ) not home yet so that was on my mind . They come home around 3am , so got up and had a hot chocolate but been awake since , may have to take a red bull to golf today .
Next week I might not set an alarm on my phone see if that makes a difference, as I’m sure I’m half listening out for it ??

D

Deleted member 25172

Reading this thread now, having been awake since 4:30. As always when I’m about to play golf. Just got to live with it.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Teetotal for a week and slept like a baby. Few glasses of Chablis last night and I’ve been wide awake surfing the internet for the last hour. Two hours till tee time. I know my solution. Hope you guys find yours.

YandaB

Visit site
Reading this thread now, having been awake since 4:30. As always when I’m about to play golf. Just got to live with it.
Ditto :-(
I did read a report the other day that implied having 7-8 hours of solid sleep is not the norm and that there are far more varieties of sleep pattern than that, it made me feel a little better. Here is a snippet:

He also said that taking the average of seven hours as the ideal amount of sleep "ignores the fact that there is considerable individual variation in sleep duration" and quality. Less or more sleep may be perfectly healthy for some individuals, he said.

"We are regularly told that the 'ideal' night of sleep in the aged should be seven hours of uninterrupted slumber. This belief is wrong in so many ways. Sleep is like shoe size; one size does not fit all, and by classifying 'good sleep' in this way can cause confusion and anxiety for many," said Foster, author of the upcoming book "Life Time: The New Science of the Body Clock, and How It Can Revolutionize Your Sleep and Health."
"How long we sleep, our preferred sleep times and how many times we wake during the night varies hugely between individuals and as we age. Sleep is dynamic, and we all have different sleep patterns, and the key thing is to assess what our individual needs are."

nyckuk

Visit site
I guess I’m kind of fortunate as I generally don’t need a lot of sleep maybe 5-6 hours , plus this only happens to me on early golf days
ie- played Royal Winchester open at 1pm last week and slept fine .
perhaps we need to start a Saturday 4am club for us insomniacs

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve got grandkids down at they were up at 5am I would have liked another couple of hours Kip before golf.

But I never need a alarm if I’m playing golf early.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Try some CBD gummies. Some of the guys I know swear by them, better sleep is one of the factors, but pretty much all of them state that when they have run out, their golf game worsens - whereas when they have been using them they are much calmer during a round.