Trolley Newbie

Chico84

Visit site
I usually rent a push trolley when I play as I’ve realised that carrying my bag does my back no good these days - admittedly it does get lighter as the round goes on and I lose more balls but that’s by the by.

What with the current restrictions renting a trolley isn’t an option so I’m in the market for one. I can’t really afford a motorised one and am actually happy to push it myself. What I’m keen to understand is what the difference is between a £99, £170 and £200+ trolley. Without being able to go to a shop and try them out I’m looking on the sage and collective experience of this forum.

I don’t need many bells and whistles, just something that goes where I want, holds my bag in place, has a reliable brake and maybe a scorecard holder. Would a cheaper option be good value or would a more expensive model be money well spent?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Clickgear seems popular with a lot of the members at my club and seems sturdy but easy to push. Not seen one being set up but understand they fold quite small too if space in the boot is an issue

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the difference in price is generally accepted as the build quality.
Absolutely can't go wrong with a Clicgear 3.5+.

I thought that too until I met my pal after a round on Thursday and his clic gear had completely snapped below the handle.

I have a Stewart Golf one (made in Britain) that I got for £142.50 about a month ago.

Icart are good value and decent.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mrs Wedge had an icart for a couple of years. Not too bad, did a job. When it broke, it was replaced with a Cube. The Cube is just as easy to push, folds down small and is definitely a better build quality.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think the difference in price is generally accepted as the build quality.
Absolutely can't go wrong with a Clicgear 3.5+.

I thought that too until I met my pal after a round on Thursday and his clic gear had completely snapped below the handle.

I have a Stewart Golf one (made in Britain) that I got for £142.50 about a month ago.

Icart are good value and decent.

I think this too. I've got one that's given over 8 years service. I wonder what you have to do with one to snap the handle?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Chico84

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Interesting to hear about the Clicgear breaking - presumably it would be in transit to and from the course that the most potential for damage occurs. Balanced against the number of people who have one and say it’s great I wonder if it was a bad batch.

It sounds like it’s not worth spending more than £150 tops is the sensible approach so I’ll have a bit of a shop around based on all of your recommendations and see what I can find. My back will appreciate it for sure, although it gives me one less excuse for my terrible scores then.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I usually rent a push trolley when I play as I’ve realised that carrying my bag does my back no good these days - admittedly it does get lighter as the round goes on and I lose more balls but that’s by the by.

What with the current restrictions renting a trolley isn’t an option so I’m in the market for one. I can’t really afford a motorised one and am actually happy to push it myself. What I’m keen to understand is what the difference is between a £99, £170 and £200+ trolley. Without being able to go to a shop and try them out I’m looking on the sage and collective experience of this forum.

I don’t need many bells and whistles, just something that goes where I want, holds my bag in place, has a reliable brake and maybe a scorecard holder. Would a cheaper option be good value or would a more expensive model be money well spent?

I got a trolley last year. Had been putting it off for ages and it def helps with energy levels towards the end and after a round.

I didn't go for the electric trolley as just didn't want the hassle / faff of needing to remember to charge the battery and bring with. Didn't feel the additional cost was justifiable either.

Would recommend looking for the following features;
- cup holder
- scorecard holder with a wee flap to keep tees / balls
- 3 wheels (i.e. to push as opposed to pull)
- and the thing I didn't get, was one that you can release the brake with your hand, as opposed to using your toe (not a big problem if you are on a flat course) but it's just a bit awkward, where a hand release would help.

Mine is one of the big trolley brands, motocaddy or powacaddy... it seems to be very durable and pleased with it. I think it was around £130 or £150 mark, I figured I would likely have it for years to may as well not take the entry level ones.