Stewart Golf have a crazy stance on umbrella holders...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you ever heard anything as daft as this? For context: the elastic bit that secures the umbrella in the holder snapped on mine yesterday, so I asked them to send me a new one. They agreed but said 'normally this would fall under wear and tear' so I questioned what they meant.

1699894000617.png

I've never heard anything like it in my life. Are they suggesting I hold my umbrella with one hand and push the trolley one-handed with the other?? :ROFLMAO: Absolute nonsense.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
How would I? Who on earth would bother with the faff of constantly taking it in and out of the holder? Surely the whole point of the umbrella holder is that it holds the umbrella for you while you push the trolley?

Unfortunately exactly what I had to do on my old golf trolley. The holder was too low/umbrella too short for me to be able to walk under it whilst pushing.

Hadn't realised that was meant to be the design though. Thought it was just tall person problems 😂.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally I find it’s great while standing still, but to me the holder is “ to hold “ it while you take a shot to save taking it down and putting it back up.

Any bouncing around while pushing with magnify any forces and the cord is designed as a week point or pressure release, makes perfect sense.

From experience when walking I don’t hold my brolly up in the sky as it’s more prone to catching this wind which is evident by the pressure on your wrist, I’ll rest it on my shoulder to keep it lower and offer better wind protection.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately exactly what I had to do on my old golf trolley. The holder was too low/umbrella too short for me to be able to walk under it whilst pushing.

Hadn't realised that was meant to be the design though. Thought it was just tall person problems 😂.
I am six foot, but on the Stewart R1S, much like my old Rovic one, the holder screws in at the very top of the handle rather than on the side further down, so it gives you slightly more height which is just enough for me to stand under. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I find it’s great while standing still, but to me the holder is “ to hold “ it while you take a shot to save taking it down and putting it back up.

Any bouncing around while pushing with magnify any forces and the cord is designed as a week point or pressure release, makes perfect sense.

From experience when walking I don’t hold my brolly up in the sky as it’s more prone to catching this wind which is evident by the pressure on your wrist, I’ll rest it on my shoulder to keep it lower and offer better wind protection.
I respect your opinion but I've never heard this before. I have always assumed that you put your umbrella in the holder and leave it there for the entire time.

That's not how the elastic broke anyway, it snapped in my hand while I was taking the umbrella out to put it away!

RichA

Visit site
Sorry. I've always thought the umbrella holder was for holding the umbrella while you're playing a shot and the trolley is stationary.
I wouldn't try and walk under the umbrella while it's attached to the trolley.
Not saying you've done anything wrong, I just can't see how it would be practical. But then I'm tall and it would be a struggle anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Motocaddy brolly holder is brilliant.
But I don't use it if there's more than a gentle breeze as it makes it easier to tip over.
More than about 10mph wind and a brolly is useless on a trolley.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Were you playing in a strong wind?
No, that was the other thing that made me laugh from her message. It wasn't windy at all. Like most people, I'm less inclined to bother with the umbrella if it is windy. Although my umbrella is a Gustbuster which obviously stands up to wind better than most.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
you need one of these:

32456.jpg

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Couldn’t understand what was meant by elastic as I’ve only seen screws used to clamp umbrella handles in holders. So looked on their website for a picture to get the idea and there’s this massive usage restriction on them.

It’s a weasly and poor design solution to a common usage problem.

Given the choice of having the umbrella attached to something heavy or letting it fly off and take someone’s eye out, I’d prefer it stayed attached to the heavy thing.

The elastic is a terrible idea.

IMG_2018.jpeg

fat80b

Hacker
Visit site
I leave my brolly up attached to my trolley and walk underneath it while pushing the trolley.

Surely that’s what it’s designed to do. On my trolley, they even sell an extender piece to make sure you can get underneath.

It works brilliantly

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If I remember rightly the early push Powakaddys or Clic-Gears had this elastic set up..
Seemed to hold the brolly on ok when it was used

Springveldt

Visit site
How would I? Who on earth would bother with the faff of constantly taking it in and out of the holder? Surely the whole point of the umbrella holder is that it holds the umbrella for you while you push the trolley?
Exactly my thoughts. No way I’d be holding the brolly in one hand and pushing the trolley with the other. Add in you have to secure and unsecure it in the holder each time, no one’s got time for that.

Motocaddy and Powakaddy also sell umbrellas with 2 clear, see through panels so you can be under the brolly and still see where you are going.

Seems like a cop out to a crap design. Think I’d rather just stab the brolly into the ground for each shot than go through that rigmarole.

sunshine

Visit site
Motocaddy brolly holder is brilliant.
But I don't use it if there's more than a gentle breeze as it makes it easier to tip over.
More than about 10mph wind and a brolly is useless on a trolley.

I have the moto caddy holder and I find it terrible. The teeth to angle the umbrella upright are too small and slip while I’m walking / pushing the trolley.

JayB

Visit site
Couldn’t understand what was meant by elastic as I’ve only seen screws used to clamp umbrella handles in holders. So looked on their website for a picture to get the idea and there’s this massive usage restriction on them.

It’s a weasly and poor design solution to a common usage problem.

Given the choice of having the umbrella attached to something heavy or letting it fly off and take someone’s eye out, I’d prefer it stayed attached to the heavy thing.

The elastic is a terrible idea.

View attachment 50456
It makes perfect sense to me for the follow me or remote trolley, but not for your normal push or electric trolley.