Stewart Golf have a crazy stance on umbrella holders...

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Sorry. I've always thought the umbrella holder was for holding the umbrella while you're playing a shot and the trolley is stationary.
I wouldn't try and walk under the umbrella while it's attached to the trolley.
Not saying you've done anything wrong, I just can't see how it would be practical. But then I'm tall and it would be a struggle anyway.
I have never seen anyone do this, when it rains folks put their brolly up and walk with it in the holder the entire time, plus of course it's a great place to keep towels and spare gloves dry hanging over the brolly spokes

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most of the time when I play golf and it's raining it's too windy to make a brolly holder practical. I either have to keep changing the angle of the brolly so it doesn't blow inside out or away or just not put it up.I don't have one but if I did I don't think I would be using it when walking.

RichA

Visit site
I have never seen anyone do this, when it rains folks put their brolly up and walk with it in the holder the entire time, plus of course it's a great place to keep towels and spare gloves dry hanging over the brolly spokes
The only golfers I have seen walking under brollies attached to their trolleys are those of Lilliputian stature. I can't physically fit under mine without stooping uncomfortably - I've just checked.
And I've got a GoKart which has a higher handle than Moto or Powacaddy. 🤷‍♂️

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The only golfers I have seen walking under brollies attached to their trolleys are those of Lilliputian stature. I can't physically fit under mine without stooping uncomfortably - I've just checked.
And I've got a GoKart which has a higher handle than Moto or Powacaddy. 🤷‍♂️
I'm 5'10" with a GK too, before that two motocaddies. The only ones who don't walk with their brolly in the brolly holder don;t actually have a brolly holder, and it's not a Scottish thing, everyone did the same when I lived in England too. I get if you're exceptionally tall, but you'd have to be very tall.

RichA

Visit site
I'm 5'10" with a GK too, before that two motocaddies. The only ones who don't walk with their brolly in the brolly holder don;t actually have a brolly holder, and it's not a Scottish thing, everyone did the same when I lived in England too. I get if you're exceptionally tall, but you'd have to be very tall.
I'm 6'2" so not exactly a giant, but I can see how being 4 inches lower would make it doable.

RichA

Visit site
Working from home today and I'm that bored that I've taken the research a step further...
IMG_3246.jpeg
The stretchers of the umbrella are a fraction over 6 feet off the ground. In my golf shoes the top of my head is 6'3 1/2" off the ground.
I calculate that 5'10" in bare feet is the maximum allowable height for this activity. @Banchory Buddha you've nailed it.

sjw

Visit site
It appears this is a long-standing stance they've had

YandaB

Visit site
Working from home today and I'm that bored that I've taken the research a step further...
View attachment 50461
The stretchers of the umbrella are a fraction over 6 feet off the ground. In my golf shoes the top of my head is 6'3 1/2" off the ground.
I calculate that 5'10" in bare feet is the maximum allowable height for this activity. @Banchory Buddha you've nailed it.
I've added a extension on to mine. I'm over 6ft and can now comfortably walk under the brolley, assuming it's calm enough.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 50461
I'm six foot and always walk with the umbrella up. I only have to duck when I'm watching another player's shot and want to see where it's gone. Don't have to stoop while walking. As I mentioned earlier, the holder on the Stewart trolley is at the very end/top of the handle, so with the handle being adjustable as well you can position it fairly high. (although the higher you place it the more it changes the angle of course)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It appears this is a long-standing stance they've had

Hahaha... that's brilliant. How have they got away with this nonsense for nigh-on ten years?? :ROFLMAO:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Hahaha... that's brilliant. How have they got away with this nonsense for nigh-on ten years?? :ROFLMAO:
Probably snobbery (present company excepted), folks pay so much for their electric ones they won't want to admit they've made a mistake

So not only is the design & reason for the design terrible, but so is their customer service. And folks question why we make a big deal about GoKart's customer service....:unsure:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you ever heard anything as daft as this? For context: the elastic bit that secures the umbrella in the holder snapped on mine yesterday, so I asked them to send me a new one. They agreed but said 'normally this would fall under wear and tear' so I questioned what they meant.

View attachment 50453

I've never heard anything like it in my life. Are they suggesting I hold my umbrella with one hand and push the trolley one-handed with the other?? :ROFLMAO: Absolute nonsense.

Whilst I completely agree it's bonkers and mostly see people use an umbrella how you do, I have myself on occasion walked with the brolly then placed it down between shots in the holder

That said.. their design of holder you can see why they have put this disclaimer. As it looked designed to be quick and simple to remove and wouldn't hold in place very strongly

As opposed to a normal one with a screw that would be a faff to undo every shot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I completely agree it's bonkers and mostly see people use an umbrella how you do, I have myself on occasion walked with the brolly then placed it down between shots in the holder

That said.. their design of holder you can see why they have put this disclaimer. As it looked designed to be quick and simple to remove and wouldn't hold in place very strongly

As opposed to a normal one with a screw that would be a faff to undo every shot
I've had both kinds over the years, but Stewart don't appear to make a screw-type one for my trolley. A lot of brands make them as an optional extra you can upgrade to.

Thought I was being sent a new umbrella holder but it's arrived today and in fact they just sent me the piece of elastic. Which I'll have to fit to my existing holder. Not had a look at how easy or difficult that is yet. But it means in the original email she was actually quibbling with me over a £2 piece of elastic rather than a £15 brolly holder. The mind boggles.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve seen this in the small print on multiple brands in the past. The problem with them is they are all plastic. My mate does it on his push trolley and it regularly get blown over.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve seen this in the small print on multiple brands in the past. The problem with them is they are all plastic. My mate does it on his push trolley and it regularly get blown over.
Would make sense if they put a disclaimer saying don't use in high winds - but that's not what they're saying. What they are saying actually makes no sense. The trolley is less likely to blow over when you're pushing it because you're holding onto it. But they're happy for you to put the umbrella in it while stationary, which means it's more likely to blow over because you're not holding it.

D

Deleted member 21445

I have a Stewart Follow Trolley.

Its very annoying that on a calm rainy day when resting in the holder is no problem while moving its not high enough to stand under.
Im a smidge under 6ft so not really tall.
By their design its just supposed to hold the brolley while you are playing shots but I want ideally to also try and keep me and my bag as dry as possible as much of the time as possible.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a Stewart Follow Trolley.

Its very annoying that on a calm rainy day when resting in the holder is no problem while moving its not high enough to stand under.
Im a smidge under 6ft so not really tall.
By their design its just supposed to hold the brolley while you are playing shots but I want ideally to also try and keep me and my bag as dry as possible as much of the time as possible.
It’s higher up on the push trollies but I agree with this for electric. It’s too low for tall people, even to stand underneath While stationary!