Trolley batteries

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you charge your trolley battery do you just leave it in till required or do you unplug when fully charged?
Interested to know as the blurb with my last one said unplug but most people I know how just leave them in.
So which do you do and whiçh is right

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you charge your trolley battery do you just leave it in till required or do you unplug when fully charged?
Interested to know as the blurb with my last one said unplug but most people I know how just leave them in.
So which do you do and whiçh is right
Blurb on mine said leave it plugged in so that is what I do.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
The manufacturer says charge and unplug. Simple really unless you want a shagged battery.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The instructions that came with my Powakaddy lithium battery states there is no need to disconnect the battery when charged, however looking at the Powakaddy website it seems they are covering their backsides!...

"A PowaKaddy charger is designed to recognise a PowaKaddy battery and knows when the battery is fully charged. So, it will not damage the battery. However today’s “best practice” says that, when the charger light goes green and the battery is fully charged, it is safest to remove the battery from the charger. "

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had a Litepower Lithium battery for 6 years and its still going strong .I've left it charging over night and more many a time with no problems .
Seemingly this charger has a built in cut out that wont allow over charging or discharging, instructions say to charge asap after use, even if just for a few holes, as it doesn't have a built in memory.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Lithium batteries keep their charge ,when they have been charged ,for quite a long while before being used.
Overcharging a lithium battery is dangerous. A cutout built into the battery is ok as long as it works. If ever it doesn't work, then that could be very iffy.
Model aircraft now use lithium batteries, different I agree, but how different I don't know.
The warnings about overcharging these batteries are important and a lithium battery fire is serious, and is a real danger of overcharging.
As for myself, I do not charge a lithium battery unattended, and I disconnect from charging when the battery is shown to be fully charged.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
lead acid = charge and unplug
lithium = charge and leave on if you like

Chargers for lithium and lead acid are different.

I have lead acid batteries for my buggy and the charger goes on to float mode when fully charged. My batteries are now 6 years old and are only just reaching the end of their life and they stay on the charger all the time between uses.

According to Battery University either type can be left on the charger

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My lithium battery goes on charge when I get home after golf, and comes off charge when I next go to golf...whether thats the next day, week or whenever. Never done anythign different, even when using lead acids.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you intend leaving a lithium battery permanently on charge between uses, don't have the charger on or too near a combustible surface. They have been known to start fires (apparently). Having said that, it is a rare occurrence.

Anyone remember the exploding Samsung Galaxy and Iphones?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a trolley storage shed with battery charging facilities. I have noticed that virtually all the batteries are now lithium and they get left on all the time between games.

What I do notice is the number of players that leave the charger switched on even when the battery has been taken out and wonder if that is the best thing to do as I would expect the charger to go through some sort of test routine before commencing charge when first switched on, I know my charger does.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Motocaddy say to take it off charge once fully charged - that's what I do.

Used to leave my old lead acid battery on charge all the time between uses, but looking after my lithium one as recommended