Treated myself to a winter matt

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
as the title I bought one.
It looked good on the computer.
It arrived and it’s about 6“ x 12”, fake grass about 3/4” with a fixing peg.
I tried it out today, it’s like playing off a really fantastic fairway .. but like the US. Ball sits up and the club goes through it makes a lovely noise and feels great. I wish they would let the fairways grow like this, my iron game would benefit!!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This one ?

91gC1M1QbWL._SL1500_.jpg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you find with these ,like the USA the ball sits up so much that you catch the ball high on the face and lose distance.
Haven't used one here my club has never used them.
But they are thinking about it this winter.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you find with these ,like the USA the ball sits up so much that you catch the ball high on the face and lose distance.
Haven't used one here my club has never used them.
But they are thinking about it this winter.
Change your ball position in the arc of your swing, effectively hit it on the up or pick it off the matt... it is different to playing off of hard pan. I don’t know about you but I don’t understand why the fairways are cut so short when 1/2 “ is fine .. would protect against dry weather.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you play with or against the grain.
The way mine is set up the anchor point makes you play with the grain.
When I was hitting a ball off it I was getting that "lot of spin" sensation .. the noise and the club head feel. Hope I can get it going on the course !!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you play with or against the grain.
The way mine is set up the anchor point makes you play with the grain.
When I was hitting a ball off it I was getting that "lot of spin" sensation .. the noise and the club head feel. Hope I can get it going on the course !!!
Will you need one more club to adjust for this spin and no release?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will you need one more club to adjust for this spin and no release?
Not sure until I get on course, I am back spinning now on full shots by about a foot and a bit with the AVX ball. I can reduce that to hop and stop by playing a slightly less aggressive swing and changing the ball position. But as I say, will see what happens and in some cases yes probably.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure until I get on course, I am back spinning now on full shots by about a foot and a bit with the AVX ball. I can reduce that to hop and stop by playing a slightly less aggressive swing and changing the ball position. But as I say, will see what happens and in some cases yes probably.
Must be good if you can back up an AVX .
I like the ball just can’t stop them on a firm green.
But won’t be seeing any firm greens for a while.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On of the things I notice from using our range is that mats of that type cause the head to open whereas playing with the ball of the hard mat which I stand on does not.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that because your hitting early or some other reason?

I think it is because plastic and grass react in different ways. I have always had a tendency to take ball and turf at the same time.

Playing off mats is something which I do not really like doing as someone who would normally be taking a divot when hitting off grass (pervious broken shaft on a range). Luckily where I play only two winter tees, where I would use an iron, have plastic mats.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is because plastic and grass react in different ways. I have always had a tendency to take ball and turf at the same time.

Playing off mats is something which I do not really like doing as someone who would normally be taking a divot when hitting off grass (pervious broken shaft on a range). Luckily where I play only two winter tees, where I would use an iron, have plastic mats.
Yeah I struggle for that reason.... gotta 'sweep' it off rather than hit down..... helps if you pin down the mat with a fairly long tee, I've found.
I use one of these......
My Mat.jpg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s what the pro shop issues, but this year they said okay to provide your own.
So could you experiment and use anything you wanted?
Might be able to dial the spin down with say old carpet door mat etc.

Starting to sound like we need to be fitted for a low spin mat.