The art of golf (as opposed to bash it around a field)

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
So, I play with the ultimate in SGI irons g-7 Wilson launchpad. above that I’m all hybrids anyway.

They‘re great and probably quite forgiving - none the less a bad shot is still a bad shot.

Without question I think I benefit from a forgiving driver and probably at the longer end of the bag.

I think I’ve detected 2 problems with the SGI IRONS - it makes you really lazy about being attentive to making a good strike and there doesn’t seem any finesse or craft, not much chance of shaping, it feels like just thrash it.

I usually score so where around 85, I’d love to break 80. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something in terms of finesse and crafting golf shots.

im wondering about trying some secondhand ping ixxx or TT 790 or 770’s or mizuno forged.

Anyone experience of changing to ‘difficult clubs’

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I cannot identify with the feeling that a certain club makes you swing lazily. I can however identify with the concern that a game improvement iron is harder to shape.

I went through the Ping G versus I decision. I bought I210s for the workability, at the expense of added forgiveness.

RichA

Visit site
I have a set of modern Ping G425 irons and a set and a half of older bladey Mizuno irons. I chop and change depending on my mood and how I'm playing.
There's definitely more pleasure in using the blades but you can't just bludgeon them and assume you'll get away with it, like you often can with the GI clubs.
They're great for practicing because they really focus your striking.
Having said that, I'm ? with any iron that's not made by Philips at the moment.

D

Deleted member 3432

What's this shot shaping everyone goes on about, I have enough trouble trying to hit a consistent stock shape....:ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Of course you can shape the ball with modern GI irons. Ask anyone with a big slice or a hook.

The question is. Should you be trying to shape the ball?
Are you good enough at one shot type to be trying to learn others? Will it actually lead to lower scores? Or will it lead to more decision making mistakes?

Of course it can be good fun trying to hit all the shots, but don’t be fooled into thinking it will lead to lower scores unless you are prepared to put in some serious hours of practice.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So, I play with the ultimate in SGI irons g-7 Wilson launchpad. above that I’m all hybrids anyway.

They‘re great and probably quite forgiving - none the less a bad shot is still a bad shot.

Without question I think I benefit from a forgiving driver and probably at the longer end of the bag.

I think I’ve detected 2 problems with the SGI IRONS - it makes you really lazy about being attentive to making a good strike and there doesn’t seem any finesse or craft, not much chance of shaping, it feels like just thrash it.

I usually score so where around 85, I’d love to break 80. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something in terms of finesse and crafting golf shots.

im wondering about trying some secondhand ping ixxx or TT 790 or 770’s or mizuno forged.

Anyone experience of changing to ‘difficult clubs’
yes you are missing out on the ability to hit certain shots with SGI irons or tennis rackets as I’d call them though if you are going to break 80 you would break it with or without those irons. They are not what’s stopping you breaking 80. You should use whatever irons look and feel good to you and forget about what category of iron they are or what everyone else thinks. At the end of the day it’s you that’s hitting them so you may aswell hit something you enjoy

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play with two guys, one uses the Launchpad his h/c index is 8.0, and the other has just bought the PXG version his h/c index is 9.9

Believe it or not, there is no such thing as one size fits all, if you want results play what work for you.

I have recently changed to the clubs shown in my signature, and I managed to win a midweek medal, although my game is struggling atm

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I play with two guys, one uses the Launchpad his h/c index is 8.0, and the other has just bought the PXG version his h/c index is 9.9

Believe it or not, there is no such thing as one size fits all, if you want results play what work for you.

I have recently changed to the clubs shown in my signature, and I managed to win a midweek medal, although my game is struggling atm[/QUOTE]

As long as you have at least 9 really good holes tomorrow, you'll be OK.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I grew up playing 'difficult clubs' they were the cheapest things on the market back then.

I switch clubs a lot but one thing is for sure I find it very hard to get used to the size of the heads in the short irons in more forgiving clubs.

The Mizzuno 900 tour forged have just gone back in the bedroom whilst I have another go at seeing if I get on with some 2009 TM Tour preferred (mid size) which I used to play before buying the Mizzies.

D

Deleted member 1147

I would suggest that if you can’t break 80 with GI irons, there’s no point getting anything less helpful. You’ll miss the security it gives on slight miss hits.
Don’t worry about shot shaping, be happy with a straight shot. Any club can be used to hit a banana shot. But I wouldn’t try them too often if you’re ball striking isn’t great.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

I have recently changed to the clubs shown in my signature, and I managed to win a midweek medal, although my game is struggling atm
Now then, who got on the AmAm card 8 times on the back nine today? Seems to me you've found your game alright, prize-winner mate. :D